Frame capture at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 24th, 2002, 08:08 PM   #1

Frame capture

I'm wonder about the proceudre for capturing a single frame from video and converting it to a jpeg file. How is this done?

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2002, 08:31 PM   #2
Trustee

This one will depend upon the software (and platform) you are using. Being an Mac cultist, I will show you the Quicktime way.

While you could theoretically capture just one frame, the typical procedure would be to capture a small clip (a second or two) into Final cut Pro or iMovie (or whatever you are using) around the frame you want to make into a still.

For the next step you will need quicktime player (pro version) or FCP. Simply open the clip in either of these, move the playhead to the desired frame. Then select Export from the file menu. There is a pull down menu at the bottom that lists a variety of options...you want "single image". In the options dialogue you can choose jpeg.

Premiere has a similar procedure if I remember right. For windows, someone else will need to chime in.

Good luck.
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2002, 09:14 PM   #3

I use the SCenalyzer Live capture software. With scenalyzer live, one needs to merely depress the f2 key while capturing video to also capture a jpeg or bmp image. The options allow you to select interlaced or progressive capture. Really works quite well.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2002, 02:17 AM   #4
Air China Pilot

In Premiere, capture it as normal and then you can export the project as a frame. Then in the export dialogue you can choose in settings which image format you want. I would export it as a tiff and then bring it into Photoshop or Imageready to optimize as a jpeg.
Keith Loh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2002, 08:51 AM   #5
Slash Rules!

I had this same question. If you happen to have Vegas Video 3, find the frame you want, and click capture image instead of capture video. If you have photoshop, open it, and open the saved file, and select filters/video/de-interlace.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2002, 09:33 AM   #6

Thanks, Josh, I'll give that a try. I just got Vegas Video and haven't quite mastered it yet.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2002, 04:18 PM   #7
Slash Rules!

Be sure ye master it, laddie. I find it to be a wonderful program, probably completely adequate for anything other than a major motion picture edit. Could use a real scrub tool, though.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion