making a motion picture on 3CCD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 11th, 2004, 11:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

making a motion picture on 3CCD

I've begun preproduction on a film in austin texas. Im going to use my XL1-s to shoot. I had planned on using some tiffen efx filters and diffusion filters throughout along with the canon 3x wide angle lens. HOWEVER, i come from the world of pro audio and my knowledge base, while growing quickly, is still inadequate. My question to any kind soul who cares to help is this:
When watching the making of the amex commercial with superman and jerry seinfeld, i saw a majorly accessorized xl1 being used. It had a matte box and a huge lens, along with tons of other unidentified stuff. Am i playing myself to think that a 3x lens and a nice filter can look pleasant? I know that without any modifications or aftermarket lenses the picture is far to crisp and dry. i havent purchased the 3x lens yet and im trying to find out if its even in my best interest. What lenses will provide what kind of look? I have a budget, and have tons of pro production equipment (lighting, jibs, track, dolly etc...) no reason to shaft myself on the appearance of the film due simply to ignorance. If anyone can help or even just knows of a good resource for the information i seek, id be immensely appreciative.
Old July 11th, 2004, 11:39 AM   #2
Trustee

Look at this thread for more info about the making of the Amex spot. If you have a budget, you should consider to use a mini35 adapter (buy or rent) to acheive the best image quality and control with your XL1.
Old July 11th, 2004, 05:14 PM   #3
Major Player

You definitely want to read up on the Mini35. That's how the AMEX shoots got that filmish look (besides great lighting, etc...). Also search for AMEX on these boards. I think the guy that DP'd those bits discussed it here with links to articles describing the whole shoot. If you can't afford to rent a Mini35 system, and have time to read 65 pages of message board, check out the ALDU35 or other static 35 DIY boards. I think somebody had plans to build one for an XL1.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2004, 10:03 PM   #4
Major Player

Heath,

I'm in Austin as well. Drop me a line if you have a chance, I'd be happy to help you out in any way I can.

-Luis

luis @ studio3productions.com
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2004, 01:57 AM   #5
Wrangler

Hi Heath,

As the DV consultant and operator on the Amex spots, and also an owner of an XL1s with standard lenses, I would feel confident that you can certainly achieve a "pleasant" look with the latter setup. However, as the other folks here have indicated, the Mini35 does propel the XL1s to new visual heights by allowing the use of superior film lenses with their companion depth-of-field.
Old July 12th, 2004, 09:42 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks a ton for the help guys. After enough research ive found from MPS in Dallas that i can rent one of the technik adapters and a lens pack for around 800 per week. (they use 3-day weeks fyi) so, for 1600$ i can shoot for 2 weeks straight. Of course, every rose has its thorn, and ive yet to secure production insurance, and therefore cannot rent. Charles' comment along with many others who felt that, in Frame mode with good filters, lighting and the canon 3x, i will be able to achieve a moderate amount of aesthetic pleasantry have convinved me to evade these added issues of 35 for an all around first timer. My major concern NOW for using the mini35 adapter would be that i've got no clue how to properly use those types of lenses. At such a price per week, i feel id be foolish to try and teach myself in a day or two and get right to shooting. Perhaps on my next film it will be a more viable option.

Reguarding production insurance... does anyone know where i can find generalizations of cost? im sure you can do it per production, seeing as im a one man band, i only do a few a year.
You guys are great, and should you EVER have any audio questions, im your man.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion