Help Needed... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 26th, 2002, 11:35 AM   #1
ameria.net

Help Needed...

Hello all -

I am pretty new to DV film making, actually very new. I have a great idea for a movie and have some experience in film making other than digital. My budget is pretty low at this point for the camera to buy. Since this will be my first digital movie I dont want to spend as much as needed for the XL1s or GL2...

Im curious if you can create CLEAR, great resolution, movies with a smaller priced camera. Are there cameras that I can get for under say $2k which will produce professional looking movies? I realize alot is based on lighting and sound, but Im merely talking about picture quality.

If you could list some good cameras for my price range, and or how to get a really cheap XL1s / gl2... that would be great!

Thanks,

Aaron
Old July 26th, 2002, 12:22 PM   #2
Wrangler

Used XL1 cameras turn up here and there for $2000, check out the classified section on this forum, there are some priced pretty close to that.
There is a used GL1 as well for $1600.
If you want a new camera, there are a few manufacturers that make 3 chip cameras in the $1500 range, but I'd probably choose a used Gl1.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2002, 01:13 AM   #3
Outer Circle

You may want to look for the older Sony TRV900, new or used, or perhaps the older Panasonic AG-EZ30U (new or used). I like this Pana model over the Sony...just shoot in manual, on a tripod, etc, and with the DIS off. Are you thinking of shooting DV to transfer to film?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2002, 04:05 AM   #4
Trustee

Basically any 3 CCD DV camera will give you good picture quality. From there you have to look at the optics. As far as I know all 3 CCD cameras use glass lenses so you shouldn't have to worry there. Search around and get what ever 3CCD camera you can afford. They all have good and bad points and in the end it's the story that matters.

Good luck
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion