Dedicated BW video camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 17th, 2004, 11:28 AM   #1
Major Player

Dedicated BW video camera?

Totally ridiculous question:

But nevertheless:
if one wanted to build a dedicated black & white video camera (assuming one is Canon), would it be possible to use most of the current standard technology to come up with a much higher resolution picture than the colour version of the same camera, because of the fact that much less data needs to be recorded?
Of course the answer is no.....because the three chips record the same bit of the image (one could shift them a bit..mm?).

For me that would be an interesting camera indeed (especially for transfer to 35mm).

Thanks!
Old August 1st, 2004, 10:00 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

I think the answer is yes. For the same money you could do a
higher resolution BW camera.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2004, 10:29 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Of course the answer is no.....because the three chips record the same bit of the image (one could shift them a bit..mm?).
Some Canon cameras like the XL1 use pixel shifting to get more resolution out of the CCDs. I think that's exactly what you're suggesting.

2- Even if you had a B+W camera with high resolution, you'd need to record it onto a format that supports all that extra resolution. I think only the JVC HD camera would be practical in terms of cost/money. Shooting in black and white may avoid some of the artifact issues that camera may have.

On the other hand, it can be advantageous to shoot in color so you have greater control over your black and white image. Using combinations of the red, blue, and green channels will give different results. If you shoot outside, using the blue channel for the black + white image will give brighter skies. If you know beforehand what you want, you can use color filters to achieve the same results.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2004, 12:25 PM   #4
Major Player

Yeah! That camera could have a color filter setting for BW effects instead of white balance! I played around with a colour picture in photoshop and using the color channels with curves (apple/ctrl + M) you can indeed imitate the effects that color filters would have on BW film.
I bet in 20 years that camera hits the market when there's enough weirdos wanting to shoot B & W.
Saw Citizen Kane again last night. Who needs color?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion