Matching XL1-GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 21st, 2004, 01:15 PM   #1
Major Player

Matching XL1-GL2

Hi there
I wasn't sure where to locate this thread so feel free to move to the appropriate section.

Basically am shooting a wedding in the next week or so and am doing it with an XL1 and a GL2. I was wondering, what are the best presets to set on either camera's so that the footy would match in the best possible manner. I'll be shooting both outdoors (ceremony) and indoors (reception). Does anyone have experience shooting with these two cameras at the same time? would greatly appreciate any advice/input. Cheers

Vishal
Vishal Gurung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2004, 02:06 PM   #2
Capt. Quirk

I would just set both manually, and white balance from the same source. I have used an XL1s and a GL1, and had no problems.
Old July 21st, 2004, 02:25 PM   #3
Major Player

*nods* sounds good i was planning on doing that anyways, but i was just thinking of color saturation/contrast etc.. from reading reviews the xl1 films things a little more warmer than the Gl2 which films a more neutral colour. Would it be possible for me to set the XL1 to film closer to the Gl2 or vice versa then?
Vishal Gurung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2004, 02:38 PM   #4
Capt. Quirk

I have never used a GL2, so I can't say what they are like. In which case, I would get both cameras together, and check them out. If I remember correctly, the GL handles reds a bit better. Strong reds used to blow out on my XL1.

Start going through the menus, and adjust your sharpness and saturation, until it is satisfactory on a monitor. Just one of those things, where you will have to fiddle around with it, but they do work well together.
Old July 21st, 2004, 02:50 PM   #5
Major Player

Obviously you want to be able to get the cameras as colse as possible while shooting, but the things you are worried about not matching are things that can be corrected in post, mostly just using the color correcter in your NLE.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2004, 02:59 PM   #6
Major Player

True .. i suspect i'll be correcting a few shots in post, but hopefully as few as possible, so i can concentrate on other aspects of editing. Thanks for the input fellas :)
Vishal Gurung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion