DVC30 vs VX2100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 29th, 2004, 08:13 AM   #1
New Boot

DVC30 vs VX2100

Hi, has anyone had a chance to compare these two cameras side by side? I have been reading this board for over a month now and putting together pieces of information, but it is hard to get a good sense of how they compare.

The price difference is not a big deal for me. Frame mode seems good, but is it that much better than deinterlacing and adjusting gamma and levels in post? The sony has better low light performance, but does the picture quality blow the panasonic out of the water? Manual controls are important, which one has better manual control?

I would love to try them both out, but i have not found any place in Pittsburgh that has the DVC30 in the store, they would all have to order them for me.
Erik J. Sturcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2004, 12:59 AM   #2
New Boot

I am also very interested in this comparison. I would probably use the cam mainly for short films, but the actual film look isn't that important to me, rather overall image quality. I was also wondering whether the frame mode on the DVC30 would be better than de-interlacing VX2100 footage with a program like DvFilm Maker.
Matthew Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2004, 06:10 AM   #3
Regular Crew

There are wide and diverse opinions about whether frame mode is better or worse than de-interlacing in post production. Some 'smart' de-interlacers *might* produce better results than using frame mode.

IMHO it is better to just use frame mode. The main reason being that it saves a HUGE amount of time. De-interlacing in post can take a vast amount of rendering time, Magic Bullet is one of the best to use, but I think it takes a long time to render. It also costs $1000. DvFilmmaker is supposed to be quicker and cheaper than Magic Bullet though.

Using frame mode can instantly give you the look you want, and you can see in real time how it looks with what you are filming (this is important to avoid strobing etc).

I have a DVC30 and love it. Sure it is my first 3CCD dv camera, and I have never used the Sony. I had to decide between these very 2 cameras, and decided on the Panny.

I think that if you want to shoot ENG, event work or documentaries, get a VX2100. However, if you want to shoot short films, and more dramatic work get the DVC30 (if you cannot afford the DVX100a or new XL2 ;)

Using the DVC30, I have found that Frame mode and Cine gamma produces video that looks very different to normal video but in a subtle way. Maybe this is a contradiction, but it is the best way I can describe it.
Dave Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2004, 06:23 AM   #4
New Boot

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your input! That is pretty much the same reasons i am leaning to a DVC30.

I also want the ability for do stuff that does not look like video. Not really trying to look just like film, just somethere where it is a little easier to suspend disbelief than videos live feel. Either frame mode or magic bullet or something.

However, we will also do many street interviews and documentary style stuff. What is better about the VX2100 other than low light for that purpose? I have never really read comparisons of pure 4:3 60i in well lit situations of the two.

BTW, what shotgun mic do you have? I would like to get a decent one that won't break the bank.

Thanks again.
Erik J. Sturcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2004, 05:00 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Erik,

I have just bought the Panasonic AG-MC100G uni-directional mic that is made intended for this cam. However, I haven't really had much time to test it out yet, but it seems pretty cool.

I think the DVC30 would do just fine in street interviews. The only way it might be worse than the VX2100 is in low light, which you might not be filming in anyway, and can be compensated for.
Dave Croft is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion