anyone crashed a DSR-20? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 29th, 2004, 03:07 PM   #1
Tourist

anyone crashed a DSR-20?

My Sony DSR-20 has crashed: won't turn on at all. The red standby light is on. When I push the power button the deck beeps, the red light stays on, and that's it. I then pull the power plug. Let it rest for a minute. Plug it back in. No change.

Any ideas?

Now, I worry that Premiere 6.5 (stop laughing, I'm on the way to Final Cut) is the culprit. Premeire isn't that happy with Panther and Quicktime 6.5.1. Lots of crashes with capture...

[Newbie alert: please tell me if I've opened a thread that already exists or if I've posted to the wrong forum... sorry in advance]
John H Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2004, 07:04 PM   #2
Contributor

Have you unhooked the firewire cable? I'd check that first. turn off the deck, unplug the cable, then see if it will play a tape to a monitor via S or composite hookup.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2004, 06:11 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Most Sony's have a reset on them. My DHR1000 deck has it and all my camcorders. Unplug all cables, with the power on press this reset ( usually a very small button somewhere, need to use a pin or pencil to press). When any erratic behaviour happens I have recovered with the reset. You will need to reset all your options of course.

ROn
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 11:32 AM   #4
Tourist

Thanks for the replies...

I did unplug all cables (power and firewire), then let it sit, then tried the power again. Nothing.

I can't find a reset button on it. But perhaps I missed something. If anyone knows where to look on this deck, please let me know.

I talked to a tech support person at Promax (LA) who said that this behavior doesn't match any simple problem he's aware of.

I'm taking it to a guy in Castro Valley who works on Sony equip for California College of the Arts...

I'll post follow-up once I know what's wrong...

j
John H Muse is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion