DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   What ENG style cams are there in the 5k range? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/29944-what-eng-style-cams-there-5k-range.html)

Aaron Koolen August 2nd, 2004 05:01 AM

What ENG style cams are there in the 5k range?

With all the talk about the Xl2, I came across people mentioning the Panny DVC200 as something, while more ENG is within a similar price range. Seeing as I do mostly ENG/Interviews/Seminars this could become an alternate upgrade for me.

I was wondering though, what other cameras exist roughly in this price range with similar features?

Cheers
Aaron

Ken Tanaka August 2nd, 2004 11:43 AM

The JVC DV5000U is perhaps the closest to your stated $5,000 mark, although it will certainly cost more when you factor-in the costs of peripherals.

Patrick King August 2nd, 2004 12:38 PM

B&H has a used one available right now that would put you in under 5k with 'peripherals'.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...0351511&is=USE

Darko Flajpan August 2nd, 2004 01:07 PM

I worked few times with Sony DSR250, and it is a great cam for ENG&interviews. I liked "pro" feel on shoulder and very durable battery. I think it is in your price range.

Rick Foxx August 2nd, 2004 03:53 PM

Check out the Panasonic DVC-200. I love mine, and would like to get another (if the budget ever allows). The JVC-5000 is also in that range. I would avoid the Sony DSR-250 as it is more of a prosumer camera (fixed lens, smaller chips, etc.), and doesn't offer the bang for the buck you find in the Panasonic and JVC.

Rick

Dylan Couper August 2nd, 2004 04:49 PM

Fixed lens might not be that big a deal for someone with a budget of under $5000. Adding almost any lens beyond the Fujinon 14x that comes packaged with most of them will push the enveloppe way beyond $5k.

The JVC DV500 (not the DV5000) can be had used for around $3000, including the Fujinon 14x lens. That leaves you $2000 for a set of sticks and some batteries.

Shawn Mielke August 3rd, 2004 02:19 AM

It is true that a basic DVC200 package will finish at around $8k, but it is the most interesting cam mentioned so far, imo.

Dylan Couper August 3rd, 2004 09:06 AM

No one has mentionned the Sony DSR350 yet? Used, that would probably clock in around $5,000.

Jon McLean August 4th, 2004 06:06 AM

Hi Aaron,

Budget for around $12-13K NZ for the DVC200 with the cheap viewfinder and 19x6.7KRS lens and a couple of small batteries. I ended up getting a DSR-390 back in Feb when our $ was up a bit. Cost around 12K for the cam + 3K for the 19x lens + GST.

Driving a real lens is not to bad once you get used to it!

Aaron Koolen August 4th, 2004 06:36 AM

Hi Jon. Is that even if ordered from the US? I think that's a bit to much for me then. I saw a PAL version at expandore with VF5 and S14 lens for just under US$5k. Is the price really going to be sucked up by those batteries. I haven't done any research into any PRO gear so I could well be way over me head here.

Cheers
Aaron

Jon McLean August 4th, 2004 03:13 PM

That was a local price from globalmedia. The add ons do tend to inflate the price a bit over the basic camera unfortunately. The DVC200 by itself was around 6K on the website but no lens or viewfinder which ya kinda need :).

Batts will be around another US1-1.5K for two good ones + charger. The 5K US by the time you land it and pay GST will be around NZ8-9K. Then if it breaks you got a problem!

I ended up ordering my 390 camera from panavision and the lens from globalmedia - saved around 3K on the lens but stuck with a rep dealer for the warrenty etc on the camera body.

cheers

Jono

Aaron Koolen August 4th, 2004 05:47 PM

Thanks Jon. Yeah I think I'll need to wait until the day (If it arrives) where I'm at least covering costs. Damn those non profits and their lack of money! ;)

Aaron