[DV-953] Filming A Sunrise at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 2nd, 2004, 12:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

[DV-953] Filming A Sunrise

I'd like to film a sunrise in time-lapse for a project I'm working on, using my DV-953. I've worked out a position to shoot from, and found a toolset that'll let me work out the bearing of sunrise from coordinates from my GPS receiver for any given day, but before I roll tape, I'm worried that my camera will be damaged by prolonged direct exposure to sunlight. Is it safe to shoot the sun directly at 1/500th shutter speed, F16 with my 953 and a basic UV filter? If not, what are my options in terms of filters that will protect the CCDs?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but since it's specific to the 953 I thought I'd post it here. Admins, please move if it'd be better suited to General.
Ryan Spicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 01:34 PM   #2
Wrangler

Ryan, I'll move your post to Open DV Discussion where it will get a broader range of viewers but will leave a re-direct in the Panasonic MX forum.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 03:59 PM   #3
Wrangler

While the aperature and any filters will directly effect the amount of light falling on the CCD, shutter speed has nothing to do with it.

I'd probably shoot through an IR filter, white-balancing the camera after the filter goes on, or a ND filter. If that doesn't work, then I'd probably use one of my sacrificial old cameras (camera works, transport does not) and capture that video into the format I want.

I suppose another option would be to use another lens to focus the sunrise image onto a white sheet of paper or milk-plastic and then use the video camera to shoot the image off the front (lens-side) of the paper.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 05:03 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hmm. Interesting ideas, Mike. Thanks for the input. Since I haven't got much in the way of lenses to play with, I think I'll try shooting it through one of my old VHS cams with the output routed to the input on the 953 -- they're still functional on external power, but a new battery would cost more than its' worth given their age (I think both are about 15 years old). If I fry it, there's just a bit less crap to keep in the closet. ;) The image quality won't be that great, but since this isn't a commercial project and I have absolutely no hope of making money with it, I'd rather wreck a camera I haven't used in five years anyway than my new gear.

[EDIT]

Update: I just remembered the old 35mm SLR camera in the closet, and decided to muck around with some of those lenses. The standard lens makes a decent sized, clear image on paper at about 3" from the rear of the lens body. That would probably do what I need, if only I could get the camera in a position to record it. Right now there isn't nearly enough clearance to fit the camera in. The image was very clear from behind as well, but I'm guessing the paper would probably still let enough light through to damage the CCDs. Any thoughts? I can definitely build a housing out of some scrap plywood to hold the camera/paper/lens, if I work out that I can shoot from behind.. any advice in terms of shooting from in front of the paper would be appreciated.
Ryan Spicer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion