The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 110 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 11th, 2009, 04:19 AM   #1636
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayesha Khan View Post
First, you've suggested that tape is cheaper but in the long run, after the first investment, surely cards will work out cheaper if you use your camera often enough?Also, by "in the gloom" you are referring to low light conditions right?And what did you mean when you said the HMC151 is not as "well built" as the Sony? Lastly, are the Panasonic CCDs on the HMC151 better than the V1's?
Cards work out cheap if you don't keep your raw footage up there on the shelf. A MiniDV tape is a cheap, reliable, compact archive. If you shoot SDHC you'll maybe buy tape or HDDs as well for backup? And I'm a believer in reusing tapes many times - just as you will with cards.

In the gloom - yes, when light levels drop.

Put a Z5 and a 151 side-by side and take a good close-up look at the fit and finish, the switches and overall design concept. Then do this: open the LCD screens. The wibbly-wobbly 151's screen doesn't inspire confidence (in me) the same way Sony's does. And the Sony's screen is in the right place - atop the camera.

The 151 uses CCDs with a far greater surface area than the V1's CMOS. The latter may be all the rage in Sony products, but until they sort the rolling shutter problems (as I'm sure they will) I for one will be standing back. I've written much on this subject.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 05:36 AM   #1637
Regular Crew

OOF! No matter what the budget for no matter what item why is it always impossible to have it all? *stamps foot*

Thanks again for your speedy response. I am now off to do a whole load more research and will be back armed with many more questions in the next few days.

:)
Ayesha Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 09:42 AM   #1638
Regular Crew

Hello guys!

I am an owner of a 5d II and after shooting and making a wedding reception video i'm hooked!!!!!!!!!

I'm looking for a camera that has what my 5d II is lacking and thats control!

I want 1080p, 24p, good low light also in it.

My budget is 4k but if possible I would like to spend around $3500 since there are a few accessories I will still need to get (So far have a rode video mic, video head, video tripod).

I was very close to buying the XH 1A since I saw a lot of people using it at fashion week when i was shooting there. After talking to some people though they mentioned that DV isn't the best format (less colorspace????) and other things I didn't understand.

I will be using this camera for wedding work + taking it along with me to fashion week for the runway (my 5d II will be regulated to stills and backstage shooting)

Thanks!!
William Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #1639
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Chung View Post
I was very close to buying the XH 1A since I saw a lot of people using it at fashion week when i was shooting there. After talking to some people though they mentioned that DV isn't the best format (less colorspace????) and other things I didn't understand.
Thanks!!
I guess you mean the XH A1. The only other "competitor" for that camera is the HVX200, but I doubt you will find one in your price range without purchasing from Japan. Panny also released a new tapless version of this camera, don't recall the model #.

JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #1640
Regular Crew

Well i'm willing to buy used so it seems a few more camera possibly drop to my 3.5-4k range. I really want to get an ex1 but I can't justify dropping 6 grand on it yet since my main thing is stills and need to buy more equipment for that too.

(not to mention accessories for video too)
William Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 02:19 PM   #1641
Regular Crew

Need some advice

Hello everyone, I guess I may reopen this thread with a bit of a simplistic question but I am still a little on the new side to all of this.

I am an amateur indie film maker, having only made things previously either with a buddy and his camera or using my high school's old dv camera. I'm also a university student and do not have such a large budget, so would be looking at this as a hobby. Maybe shooting a wedding for fun once in a while. I also have a idea for a short documentary I would like to do for my university club I am in.

So I know first of all I will need a nice lightweight tripod, wide angle lens, nice bag to fit all my gear, and a shotgun mic with a nice windscreen. Eventually a light kit to.

What I am unsure of is what actual camera to purchase. I am contemplating between a HV30(tape is still hear but on it's way out), HG20(prob not the best quality) or a HF-10(seems like may be the winner). The other thing on my mind was to maybe keep saving up till I can find a more Prosumer camera used or something.

Some things I already have are a MacBook Pro, and Custom built Windows XP machine with Intel C2Q 600, 2x 8800GTS 512mb SLI'd, 3GB of crucial Balistix. And for software I have iMovie 09', FCP, FCE, Adobe CS4 Master Sweet, and Sony Vegas 9.

I got the MBP from my neighbor who was a Prof at the university and retired and gave it to me since I enrolled at the uni. So he has all the University Software they gave him on it.
Bradley Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 02:31 AM   #1642
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Ouellette View Post
I am contemplating between a HV30(tape is still hear but on it's way out
Tape is certainly on the way out but I'd not let that worry you Brad. When you're out there shooting, making decisions as to focal length, aperture, position, movement, lighting, mic placement and 1001 other things, the way your camera is storing all this information is but a dot in a square mile of virgin snow.

Thing with the HV30 is that it's so cheap and so good brand new you'd have to find a pretty beat-up FX1 (say) to have it offered at the same price. OK, the FX1 would give you proper access to the manual controls and a lot more kudos as the DOP, but on-screen results are what matter.

If you're any good as a filmmaker then what you clasp between your palms matters not a lot. It's ideas we're capturing, and an EX3 gives you no more ideas than an HV10.

tom.
Old April 7th, 2009, 09:00 AM   #1643
New Boot

This is a very interesting forum, much different from all the children asking the same "What's the best camera?" question over and over on another camcorder website. Like they could afford the best. But as I've learned in 39 years of still photography, the most important thing in shooting is the knowledge in the head of the person behind the viewfinder. So what are good books with which the rank amateur, such as myself, can learn the basics? Another forum I subscribe to, Porsche 912 Board, has a thread which lists the necessary books. If would probably be a great help and cut down on unnecessary posts.
Jock Ellis
P.S.
Since this is a real name website, I had to use my real name, John, but I don't answer to it.
John Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 09:10 AM   #1644
Inner Circle

With 39 years as a stills photographer Jock - and presumably the last 5 or so in digital, you're well placed to enter the world of digital filmmaking and you certainly won't need the back2basic books. Just make sure your camcorder lets you access (easily and quickly) the iris, gain, shutter speed and white balance, and all your photographic experience can let the subjects move within the frame.

If you're very new to audio you may have to learn about mics and placing, but I'd say you're well clear of the starting blocks.

tom.
Old April 7th, 2009, 09:16 AM   #1645
Wrangler

We do have the Read About It forum which references a wealth of printed material from basic exposure and lens theory to how to produce a motion picture. However, printed books by their nature aren't an up-to-the-minute resource for fast-moving topics like brand new cameras and software updates. Thusly, DVinfo!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #1646
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
If you're any good as a filmmaker then what you clasp between your palms matters not a lot. It's ideas we're capturing, and an EX3 gives you no more ideas than an HV10.
Thank you for your very honest answer. I did some looking around and noticed a lot of people saying the hv30 has a lot more natural colour and features then the hf10. I guess I am just a young techy thinking if it is faster and non moving parts it's better. I will definitely give the hv30 a shot. And does the HDV tapes make a difference to the actual regular DV tapes? And what tape for the HV30 should i use for that matter. I don't have the slightest clue about tapes other then they say to use the same one type always and some people mentioned Sony Premium tapes were best. Can you use the tapes more then once?
Bradley Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #1647
Inner Circle

Yes, of course you can use tapes more than once. The second time you use them is when you play them to feed your computer. You then know that's a tried and tested tape, and more valuable than a new untested one.

Sony Premiums are very good. I'd stick to them. You could use the 5x more expensive Sony HDV tape, but the signal it records is not a digit better than the cheaper tape.

tom.
Old April 7th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #1648
Regular Crew

I stopped by a local store here "Henry's" who's price's are bloated like you wouldn't believe. But used it as good reference so i can see what i want to buy at B&H lol.

Really liked the HV30. So I compiled a little list of everything I need to start. Think it's a good solid list for my first time buy.

- Canon HV 30 - 599
- Canon WD-H43 0.7x Wide Angle - 149
- Vista by Davis & Sanford Attaras Grounder Tripod - 79
- Azden ECZ-990 Shotgun mic - 59
- Canon GB2400 camcorder bag - 35

Total $923.80 or $1211.46 CND with tax and shipping for me

I did a little research again, Canon recommends the Panasonic tapes. Which a lot of people here tend to agree for this specific model HV30. It uses a dry lubricant. The Panasonic AY-DVM63PQ is 2.89 a pop at B&H so seems like good choice.

Thanks for all your help again. And if you have any recommendations, or areas for improvement for me on a tight budget, please post.
Old April 8th, 2009, 01:05 AM   #1649
Inner Circle

Well spotted - you'll certainly need the wide-converter with the HV30 (you know it's been replaced by the HV40?).

Sony and Panasonic tapes have long matched in their lube specs. It was many years ago (late 90s) when the differences were causing head clogs.

Might be worth looking at the Rode mics - excellent value.
Old April 8th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #1650
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
Well spotted - you'll certainly need the wide-converter with the HV30 (you know it's been replaced by the HV40?).

Sony and Panasonic tapes have long matched in their lube specs. It was many years ago (late 90s) when the differences were causing head clogs.

Might be worth looking at the Rode mics - excellent value.
- I can't really justify myself spending an extra $400 for just no 24p pull down when i can do that in post.
- Them having the same lube just makes it it an easy, no worry choice to just go with the cheaper one of the same quality.
- I will definitely see if I can squander a few more pennies for the Rode mic.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion