The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 126 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 27th, 2012, 08:19 AM   #1876
Trustee

Re: The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread!

Sony FS100 with the sony 18-200 lens and the f2,8 wide angle sony lens with the super wide angle (11mm) adapter. Camera and both lenses should run around 6k.
That's what I shoot with.
Bruce
Yarock Productions
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 06:29 AM   #1877
Regular Crew

Thanks Bruce.

Initially, I was shying away from FS100 due to awkward form factor.
Sara Jourhmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 12:37 PM   #1878
Trustee

I'm not sure if the 18-200 would be quick enough aperture wise at F6.3/200mm for extensive indoor work. I mean, the camera can do it with gain and all, but I can't help but think that an EX1R would just be...easier? Not to mention the power zoom and faster lens. Just as long as you're fine with SxS cards.

I just got done doing some event work with AF100 and 70-200mm F2.8 and it is a CHALLENGE to keep speakers in focus with the large sensor. I take it these seminars don't necessarily need to be "pretty" but instead functional and more or less seamless. It will still look good! I'm also assuming that the person recording them doesn't necessary want to spend a ton of effort follow focusing, zooming, etc.
Old June 29th, 2012, 07:05 AM   #1879
Regular Crew

Thanks Nate.

I would suggest to them a couple of SD Card Adapters instead of SXS cards for EX1R.

Also I am looking into upcoming GY-HM650U.

JVC is touting F11 sensitivity at @2000 lux for 1/3' Sensors.
Old June 30th, 2012, 09:25 AM   #1880
Regular Crew

Not too many places have these cameras in stock.

Is samy's camera a reliable place?
Old July 5th, 2012, 07:21 PM   #1881
Regular Crew

Need to upgrade my camcorder

Looking to upgrade to a more professional camcorder. I am using a Sony HDR-CX 550V now but as do more projects thank to my mother in-law pass the word out to all her relatives and after completing some vacations and my Mother in-law 70th Birthday I see that I need a better camcorder. I do a lot of kids soccer and other sports Air shows special events etc. I would like to keep the price below $3600. But if I have to save some more so be it. Looking at the Panasonic AG-AC130 Sony HDR AX2000 and the Canon XF 105. Would love to here from others who may own these cameras what is the advantage and this advantage of the three. My editing system is Premier Pro CS6 But also have Avid Media Composer 6 on my system also.
Kenneth Maultsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 02:51 PM   #1882
Video Bear

Sara...I rely on B&H for my camera purchases. Living in NYC, you can actually GO there, you lucky girl.
Old October 23rd, 2012, 01:37 PM   #1883
Major Player

i have a 'A' and 'B' cam, mostly for weddings and stuff, what i'm considering is a third camera locked off high up mostly.
I'm looking at the new GoPro3 but having some difficulty on deciding if it should be a 'Black Edition' or 'Silver Edition' anyone looking at these?
Old November 12th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #1884
Major Player

ok
just answering my own 'which camera should I buy' question and i gotta say, in light of some talk of the cameras not working too well, i'm deferring any thoughts about GoPro for a few months at this stage, maybe might look at Sony's offering instead.
;-)
Old September 14th, 2013, 09:34 AM   #1885
New Boot

Hi all,

I currently own a Sony Z1 which I use primarily to film dance concerts / events (wife is a dance teacher!), so basically stage lighting / indoor / low light, strobes, smoke, zoom, movement, etc. Often need to manually lock / set focus, adjust gain, exposure, etc (on the fly - usually don't know in advance what I will be presented with - sometimes just end up in full auto!), and also make reasonable use of the manual audio controls with various feeds from mic, line in, etc (again, can adjust a lot on the fly depending on backing track volumes, singing, etc). Overall happy with the Z1, just getting on a bit now (1100 drum hours), tapeless would be nice, and looking for something full HD and improved picture quality.

I've read through a lot of posts, brochures, etc, and I think the equivalent replacement I'm looking at is the HXR NX5P. Yes? Same / better picture quality? Sharper / better in low light? Does it have the same level of manual controls? I also saw the HDR AX2000, which appeared a similar model, but lacking the manual controls? Anything I should know about the AVCHD recording format - limitations? I often need to record up to 90 minutes with no break, and sometimes up to 2 hours. Is there any other camera I should look at? Mostly just want to be sure I'll have the same features / controls as the Z1 (or better), and that I'm not taking a backwards step anywhere.

Thanks in advance,

Peter.
Peter Barton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 11:55 AM   #1886
Regular Crew

The NX5 seems to be what you're looking for.

As far as other models to consider are Panasonic's AG-AC160 or JVC's GY-HM600. They are newer than the NX5 and I believe they offer a small low-light advantage over the NX5.
Old September 15th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #1887
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Barton View Post
I've read through a lot of posts, brochures, etc, and I think the equivalent replacement I'm looking at is the HXR NX5P. Yes? Same / better picture quality? Sharper / better in low light? Does it have the same level of manual controls? I also saw the HDR AX2000, which appeared a similar model, but lacking the manual controls?
Think of the NX5 as the tapeless Z1 and of the AX2000 as the tapeless FX1. The AX2000 has plenty of manual controls, the NX5 has a few more, plus the HXR-FMU128 flash memory recorder, which might just be you ticket to looong hours of non-stop recording.

AVCHD is more taxing on your editing system but if you have a fairly up to date, say Intel i7 based PC, you should be good to switch.
Old September 16th, 2013, 04:26 AM   #1888
New Boot

Thanks guys for the quick responses.

I went and looked at an NX5 today, and like you say, it is basically a tapeless Z1 - so exactly what I am after! The flash unit looks nice, but expensive, I will think about that one. I'll just stock up on SD cards for now. All the other controls are very familiar, and it looks like the correct camera for me to move to next.

I'm hoping my PC will be good for editing, I just updated it all 6 months ago with an i7, 32GB ram, Quadro 2000 video card, etc - if I'm underpowered with that, I'm in trouble.

Thanks again,

Peter.
Peter Barton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 06:30 AM   #1889
Inner Circle

You may want to look at the new FDR-AX1 that will come out next month. It looks to have better performance than the NX5U. XAVCS codec at 50Mbps for 1920x108 and will do 60P too. Bonus it will do 4K for you to crop from. XQD cards are more expensive than SD cards but a firmware upgrade next year will bring AVCHD to the FDR-AX1 too. I edit 4 track multicam native AVCHD with Edius no problem on a system not quite as powerful as yours.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 06:52 AM   #1890
Regular Crew

Hello All,

Looking at buying some cameras, I live in Australia, was looking at the Sony HXR-NX3, was using one a couple weeks ago and liked the unit, I am currently using a few HVR-Z7's, but am expanding more and would like this unit as my next model.

If anyone would suggest another model go for it, I have used Canon's, Panasonic's and Sony cams over the years, but prefer the Sony layout more so.

Another question also, I was looking at buying from from the USA, as some of those companies sell PAL units now. I can buy the unit in Australia for around $4.1k or buy from USA for around $3.2k, and that's with duty fees added.

Would Sony service it in Australia even if I bought it in the USA if it had an issue?

Thanks.
Wayne Dear is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion