The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 1st, 2003, 09:02 AM   #181
Wrangler

THat's an easy one.

JVC GY-DV500

I'm not sure if it's still in production, or just out of, since it's been replaced by the DV5000, but the last I heard the DV500 was selling for close to the same as an XL1s. Of course, batteries and other accessories will jack up that price.
Old April 1st, 2003, 11:30 AM   #182
Wrangler

JVC GY-DV500 or DSR-250.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2003, 11:57 AM   #183
New Boot

Thanks!

Thanks for the input, everyone! I can't say I have made a decision yet, but there are a couple front-runners. It seems like going with a 1/2" 3 CCD camera is definitely within my budget range, and the suggestions you folks have made have a camera body with the "professional image" the client is looking for. Thanks again! I'm still looking for suggestions, so if anyone has a favorite among the ones suggested so far, or knows of something else entirely, I'm all ears!

~ Steve
Steve Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2003, 04:31 PM   #184
Warden

The JVC 500 is still in production and was not replaced by the 5000. They have different features and different price points. The 500 would be an excellant choice, as Dylan point out.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2003, 05:53 PM   #185
Major Player

I think it's kind of funny. I've seen several XL's lately on the news, downtown Bagdad, and nearly downdotown bagdad. Obviously they aren't very professional.
Old April 1st, 2003, 06:13 PM   #186
New Boot

The XL-1

Dear Harry,

I know exactly what you mean. I love my XL-1. And it's the person using it that makes it professional, right? I am not looking forward to going to an on-the-shoulder style again, but the cameras everyone has recommended so far seem very good and surprisingly affordable.

Steve
Old April 1st, 2003, 06:25 PM   #187

Check out the PANASONIC AG-DVC200. This is a very good camera if you are looking for 1/2" chips.
http://www.panasonic.com/PBDS/subcat...ag-dvc200.html

JVC also has the GY-DV5000U, which is in the same price point and with somewhat better specs and it could be said is a better deal.
http://pro.jvc.com/prof/Attributes/f...l_id=MDL101367

Both offer 4 hour recording capability. Remember, it all boils down to what lens you put in front of it, so get the best lens you can.

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2003, 01:16 AM   #188
Wrangler

Pros/Con's on some of these cameras.

The DV5000 is considerably more expensive than the DV500.
It does have a lot more features, but is still a 1/2" chipper.

The DSR250 is only a 1/3" chipper, but still in the price range of the 1/2" chip DV500, I think. Plus the DSR250 is a fixed lens camera, unlike all the others we are discussing.

The Panny DVC200 is pretty nice, but in the higher price range of the DV5000 and DSR350 I think. Still pretty nice.

The DV500 has got to be the best bang for the buck out of all of these. I've seen used ones going for less than $3000us including batteries.
Old April 2nd, 2003, 05:09 AM   #189

It wouldn't be under any warranty though, and I have heard nightmare stories about a couple of these failing after warranty and the cost to fix was e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e.

I think it might make sense to shoot for a new DV5000 with a warranty. You'll be able to do a LOT with that camera. If you don't mind the limited (read: very limited) lens on the DSR250 and the 1/3" chips, you can get these for cheaps.

"Reasonably-priced" - I would definately place the DV5000 under that category. Remember, there is still a certain cost involved when you bump up the form factor to the classic "BetaCam" shoulder mount style. Bigger and more expensive batteries, better yet still more expensive viewfinder, better and more expensive lens, etc.

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2003, 06:17 AM   #190
New Boot

DV5000

Thanks again for all the input! I am leaning toward the JVC DV5000. It combines several features I like a lot, but is available at a reasonable price. The 1/2" CCDs are a big plus over the Sony DSR250. I have to work as a one-man band pretty frequently, and the color LCD screen on the DV5000 would be very convenient for checking your shot quickly while the interview is happening. Plus I've seen good reviews online.

I'd say the Panasonic AG-DVC200 is a close second.

Does anyone have additional thoughts regarding these two cameras? Advice, cautions, recommendations from anyone who has one of these cameras?

By the way, Don, I attended a course you taught at the NYDV Expo. That is, if you are who I think you are. :-) It was very informative. Thanks!
Old April 2nd, 2003, 06:36 PM   #191
Regular Crew

Cheap, but still decent dv camcorder?

Can anyone recommend a cheap but still decent dv camcorder. I would expect to spend under $450. I want to use this camcorder to do my editing with so my main camcorder wont wear down its head. I have the dvx100 for filming but I would like a cheap dv camcorder to do most of its playback and transfering to computer and use it as a grab and go camcorder. Thanx for any suggestions.
Sam Looc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2003, 06:47 PM   #192
Obstreperous Rex

Hard to beat the Canon ZR60, shouldn't cost more than $499. One of the least expensive DV camcorders you'll find.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2003, 11:34 AM   #193
Contributor

There's also a Panasonic that's under $400 these days. I can't remember the number.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2003, 07:42 PM   #194
Trustee

The panny dv53 is under $400. It has 1/4" 680k CCD which isn't at bad for light sensitivety. B&H has free shipping and there's talk of a rebate.Panasonic wrotr the book on low cost value cameras. they've taken serious aim at that market niche with theri sister company JVC.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2003, 03:06 AM   #195
Regular Crew

Personally Canon video tends to have a satured look for those little ZR's. It sort of looks like a MTV candid camera look. Did you know MTV uses PD-150's and VX-2000's for broadcast

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion