DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/29995-gigantic-camera-should-i-buy-thread.html)

dawnietheskier November 20th, 2001 11:43 PM

Looking For New Dv Camera

I currently use a Canon XL-1. My main problem with the camera is that occasionaly it losses focus as the light changes. Pans, tracking can be difficult and usually result in me reshooting shots over and over.

I'm trying to find a new camera in the same general price range that has greater depth of field (interchangeable lenses) and does not take it upon itself to tell me how to focus.

Any suggestions?

Chris Hurd November 21st, 2001 07:29 AM

The JVC GY-DV500 is a full-size shoulder-mount DV camera which takes professional Canon or Fujinon broadcast video lenses, and is only slightly more expensive than the XL1. Be prepared to ernter a new, higher level of accessory pricing as batteries, power supplies and zoom/focus controls are much more expensive for professional gear.

Adrian Douglas November 21st, 2001 08:51 AM

If you go for a camera in a bracket above the XL1/s you will lose auto focus as the lenses these cameras use are as Chris said the Canon/Fujinon Pro lenses that are manual focus lenses.

Save you money and just shoot in manual focus mode if you are having problems with the XL1 focus. I have been shooting snowboarding for a few years with the XL1 and it is totally up to the task. Just take a bit of time to plan your shots. Work with your skiers/riders so you know where they are going so you can set your shots up.

If you just want point and shoot, buy a GL1/XM1 or a VX2000

Nathan Gifford November 21st, 2001 11:19 AM

It May Be Depth of Field

You may be having a problem with the depth of field changing with the light.

Nathan Gifford

Dan C. December 30th, 2001 07:03 AM

vx2000 or XL1s?

Sorry for asking this question, you've probably had it many times before, but I am currently looking at purchasing either a Sony vx2000 or Canon XL1s camcorder (well, not right now but in 10-12 months).

Could you please advise me which would be best considering the following:

1. I live in the UK (not sure whether that makes any difference)

2. Most of the shooting that I will be doing will be indoors; in a kitchen (quite brightly lit). However, I will also be doing shooting outdoors.

3. I would like to have broadcast quality (or near) image quality & sound, or atleast the ability to capture professional-quality sound from external microphone

4. I dont have a very big budget, so i would obviously like to have to purchase minimal accessories to achieve professional quality video and sound

5. I would like to be able to transfer the video to computer, and I will be using a cheap 8mm Sony camcorder to provide another angle.

I am slightly confused about which camcorder to buy because each review/comparison I read says something different!
I am leaning towards the VX2000 because I like Sony, but I am put off by the "hiss" problem which I think may hinder the ability for me to capture the best quality sound. Also, the XL1s seems to be classified as "professional" whereas the vx2000 doesnt seem to be so "professional".

Your views and comments are greatly appreciated

Bob Zimmerman December 30th, 2001 08:41 AM

From every thing I've read you might as well get the SonyPD-150. It's not that much more. the 2000 is good but just more on the 150. Or ir you have the extra cash just get the XL1s,,,I'm pretty sure that's what I'll do.

Dan C. December 30th, 2001 09:20 AM

The reason why Im not looking at the PD150 is because I can't find anyone here in the UK that stocks it.
The shop that Im looking at sells the XL1s for £200 more than the vx2000.

If anyone owns the vx2000/XL1s (or PD150) or preferably more than one of these and would like to comment it would be greatly appreciated.

Wayde Gardner December 30th, 2001 10:34 AM

Taste Great - Less Filling

First and foremost - you won't regret purchasing either unit. They're both capable of "broadcast quality" but that depends more on you than the camera.

If your talking about the XL1s for £200 more than the vx2000 (290.00 in US bucks?) then you're decision is easy - the XL1s is considerably more camera for the dollar/pound. The difference was about 1300.00 when I did my comparison. That extra money went toward extra batteries, wide angle lens, a quality tripod and head, etc. I was on a budget too.

You may want to keep looking for a better price on the VX2000 - I've found some reputable dealers who offer the unit for around 2200.00.
(BTW - I bought the Sony and love it)

Regarding the legendary Sony hiss - I've never experienced the problem

Dan C. December 30th, 2001 12:14 PM

Thanks to all who replied.

You say I should look for a better price on the Sony, although the price that this place has it for seems to be one of the lowest from any online UK store (£2199.99 from www.askdirect.co.uk). The XL1s also seems relatively cheap at £2399.99.

Anyway, I still have a few months to decide and if I run into any more brick walls I will come back here for help :)

And one more thing, can anyone tell me if the XL1s image quality is any inferior to the vx2000 image quality (Ive heard that the XL1s has less pixels or something of the sort)?

Does anyone know which camera would be best for recording in a room where there is bright light entering from a window which will be behind the subject?

Thanks again.

John Klein January 4th, 2002 02:49 PM

I found this site. They use PAL, whereas on this side of the lake we use NTSC. Should be good for a lot of you.

http://www.videocamera.com.au/

They like them both, but I'm pretty sure the XL1S is favored, slightly. I think the xl1s was reviewed last between them.

I know that I do like some features on the Canon and some I don't. But I need multiple white balance settings in memory (wish I could have even more than the three sometimes). I'm not sure if the Sony has it.

I also like having the stereo mic and the additional xlr inputs running simultaniously.

John Klein January 4th, 2002 03:10 PM

Oh yeah, I have very little Hi8 stuff left, but what I could see from it was quite cool!!!!

I use D8 to record and edit with and love it and it's cheap cost. Tape speed and pitch rival DVCPRO and dvCam to boot!!!!!

I've seen some old Hi8 footage through my D8 vtr watchman and it looked better than I thought it would.

I shoot D8 footage along with an xl1s (recording to my D8 watchman) and do mix them in post. No they aren't really perfect, but for most viewers they NEVER know unless it's an a/b comparison.

Video makers look for the little details, viewers are interested in the story being told. It takes two to tango.

Dan C. January 4th, 2002 04:49 PM

When I first wrote this review I was leaning more towards the vx2000, but I have to say that I've changed to liking the xl1s now; mainly due to the apparently superior audio with no real sacrifice to video quality.
The review at videocamera.com.au seems to rate this camera extremely highly; with audio quality "head and shoulders" above the competition (supposedly VX2000?)
It also seems to have a lot of fans on this board.

However, their review of the VX2000 is also good and I am still considering it, as I don't doubt that it is an excellent camcorder

Ken Tanaka January 4th, 2002 05:12 PM

Dan,
As wgardner wrote, you won't regret either purchase. I'm partial to Canon equipment (having an XL1, an XL1s, a GL1 and a ZR30) but Sony makes a very fine line of gear with a very loyal following. If there seems to be a potential lean towards the XL1s here it may be because this forum has a dedicated XL1/XL1s discussion area.

I have only 2 items to add that have not yet been noted. First, most people (myself included) say that Canon cams have a slightly softer and warmer image than comparable Sonys. With some of the new adjustments on the XL1s you can sharpen its image to taste but most Canon shooters tend to like the softer edges for many situations.

Second, and perhaps more significantly for your initial purpose, the VX2000 is a physically smaller camera. In form, it's more comparable to the Canon GL1. If you're shooting in a tight space a smaller camera might be an advantage. Along the same line of thought you might be able to take any savings you realize from getting the VX2000 and use it to get a wide-angle adapter for it. This is an accessory that can be very handy in tight spaces. A 3x wide angle len for the XL1s is an excellent lens but it costs over $1000.

Have a ball with your shopping and your project Dan!

Dan C. January 4th, 2002 06:10 PM

Thanks for your post Ken.

I have read about the softer and warmer picture on the Canon elsewhere; nobody seems to complain about it so it can't be (much of) a disadvantage, and most seem to class it as an advantage.

As for making a saving with the VX2000, here in the UK the price difference is very little - £2200 for VX and £2400 for XL.

I also favour the XL1s because of its smaller sibling, the XM(GL)-1, which I may wish to purchase in the future as an addition angle camera and I have heard that it would be much easier for me to colour match the XL1s and XM-1 than the VX2000 and XM-1.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone and no doubt I will be back shortly with another round of questions ;).

Joe Redifer January 4th, 2002 07:02 PM

I like the XL1 because of the "frame mode". It just gives the motion in the picture more of a "film" look and less of a "daddy's videocamera" look. I'm not a big fan of 60 (or 50 in the UK) independent interlaced images since it looks so, well, like a camcorder. The Frame mode just looks more like film. My friend has the Sony camera and it is pretty nice. But the best it can do is either 60 fields per second (for the NTSC version) or 15 frames per second (labeled progressive scan). No 30 frame option.