The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 38 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 16th, 2004, 10:43 PM   #556
Major Player

Welcome, Dan.
I thought you'd find more info that directly pertains to your comparable cams of interest here than over at camcorderinfo.com.
Good luck!

Mr. C

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2004, 11:44 PM   #557
Regular Crew

thanks i read the posts herer but no i think i'm even more confused

thanks a lot though

here definately has a lot more information
Damien Greaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2004, 05:42 PM   #558
Major Player

My apologies, Damien, not Dan. I think you're shortened "dman" had me fooled into "Dan".

Old October 19th, 2004, 01:46 PM   #559
New Boot

Camcorder Advice $500-$1000

Asking advice of the more knowledgeable than I.

A friend called who wants to get his adult techie son a camcorder for Christmas. The budget is roughly up to $1000 but could go higher if there is a compelling reason. The compelling reason for the gift is the son is a new parent and my friend and his wife want pictures!

My assumption is that the son will take to the camera as he is interested in photography and is a computer geek with a P4, 1GB RAM and XP, I'm told.

I'd like to be able to suggest a camera that is a cut above a good consumer level one. Perhaps a 3-chipper. I'd prefer they not waste their money on still capture capability. Pass-through would be nice. Compact size is probably still important.

I suggested on the phone that it would be great if they added a straightforward NLE. My friend says OK, maybe they could increase the budget a bit if needed and says it's for his birthday too.

I have a DVX100A and have lost all track of current offerings. I'm hoping someone here is keeping up and can offer suggestions.

Camcorder and consumer level NLE recommendations earnestly solicited. Thanks very much in advance.
Steve London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 02:31 PM   #560
Major Player

Absolute beginner

If this son is brand new to nonlinear editing, I suggest he gain experience using a free program like Windows Movie Maker 2 or Avid Free DV. Both are available for download at no cost. If he's motivated and serious about videography, he'll outgrow those programs and gain an understanding of what kinds of programs he wants to edit (home video, music video, community events, feature films, weddings, etc.) and how how he'll distribute his work (Web, DVD, VCD, or tape). Those two factors will be very important in helping him know when he's ready to advance, and by that time he'll know the features he needs to accomplish his goals. I remember trying to edit a music video in a program that had only one video track. I about went nuts because I couldn't efficiently cut to another camera view. That's when I knew I needed a multitrack editor, and I haven't looked back since.

If total control of composition and exposure is important, I suggest a camcorder with a lot of manual controls, such as the Canon Optura Xi, 30, or 40. Panasonic GS200 and GS400 are nice 3-CCD consumer cameras in the $700-1100 range. They are very nice too.

I'd avoid Sony products mainly not because they're overpriced, but because Sony's well-meaning spirit of innovation sometimes gives features that are gimmicky and don't help the actual video quality. Consider, for example, touch-screen LCDs or Record/Pause button on the LCD. I have no interest in those, especially if a camera lacks basic things like a microphone or headphone jack. This is just my opinion, mind you.

Happy hunting!
Tim Borek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 09:41 PM   #561
Regular Crew

Any help greatly appreciated

I know that this is probably a dumb question, but It has been in the back of my mind.
I have a little camcorder (JVC GRD33) that I use to film little things here and there. I want to get into better business which means that I will need to better the quality of my videos, right?

Does anyone know of someone that might be able to get me a better camcorder? Or maybe even something that is very cheap, but good quality?

E-mail me

There it is, plain and simple. (Just had to ask it) :):):)

Thanks,
David Bermejo
David Bermejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2004, 04:52 AM   #562
RED Code Chef

I'm not following your question. The only way to get a better
camera is basically to buy one. So you have three options:

1. search around these boards for camera's that might be better for you. Prepare lists of needs/wants/must-have's/wishes etc. and see if you can find a camera. If you can't, post a question on these boards in open dv discussion that you are looking for a camera. List your budget, those lists I mentioned above and other details that could help people steer you in the right direction

2. you already know what camera you want. Go buy it at a store (please take our sponsers into account)

3. you already know what camera you want and would like to get it second hand. Continue responding in this thread and tell what camera you are looking for.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2004, 05:27 AM   #563
Regular Crew

Alright.
My budget is anywhere from $300 to $500 for the camera.
(Probably too small, right?)
I am looking for a shoulder-mount canera.
I would like to have IEEE 1493 (Firewire) if possible. If not, then a camera with good video quality so I can capture the video maybe through composite or S-Video. I would like it to have a Mic, Headphone, and LANC jack.
I most definitely would have to get it second hand.
I wish that I could get a 3-CCD S-VHS camcorder or another 3-CCD camera, or maybe even the Canon XL-1. But I couldn't afford those anyways.
Those are my wishes and what I am looking for.

Thanks
David

Never underestimate the power of a video camera!
David Bermejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2004, 05:41 AM   #564
RED Code Chef

I've moved and renamed your thread. You will not find anything
(unless it is an old VHS camcorder I'd say) "new" digital for that
price that includes a shoulder "mount". Heck, only the XL2 basically
has it. Anything else required an additional piece of equipment
to mount it like that and will probably cost at least half of your
total budget.

Please take a look at the forum I moved your thread to as well
to see what other people are looking at in that range.

I personally can't help you futher. I'm sure there will be others
who can help you on your quest.

Good luck.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2004, 12:55 PM   #565
Regular Crew

Need camera advice...

Hello all,
I've been sifting through posts on these forums and checking reviews all afternoon, and I thought it might be best to just ask for help in finding what I need. I am supposed to look for a camera to be used here at work, and the budget is $1000 (though I would like to come in lower if possible). It has to be a NEW camera (not used) - this is not my call so I can't make an exception. It would primarily be used for indoor shooting of presentations, etc. and I'm thinking low-light would be important, which seems to be lacking in the majority of consumer cams!!

I can make a list of the top three choices - so please fire away, thanks!!
Robbie Smolinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2004, 05:04 AM   #566
Major Player

this one is a bit over a grand, but is probably the best, cheapest cam out:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=319788&is=REG

Don't know much about this one, but:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=338798&is=REG

Old October 25th, 2004, 08:15 AM   #567
Major Player

New Camera - GS400 or Optura XI ?

Hi everybody,

I am planning to buy a new camera soon. I've made a lot of research and I can't decide between 2 cameras which are the Panasonic GS400 and the Canon Optura XI (in fact the MVX3i because it will be a PAL). I saw a lot of posts saying both cameras are great but none directly comparing each other.
I will be using it for the family and also to shoot short movies. 16/9 is of first importance to me.
The GS400 is a 3CCD but not the XI. Therefore I am afraid the picture of the XI will not be "at the top".
But some posts say we can capture progressive video with the XI by recording directly to a computer. And I think this is very interesting.
Canon also has a better reputation.
I can have both of them at about the same price.

Anyone can help me on this one ?

Thanks,

Benjamin.
Benjamin Durin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2004, 10:01 AM   #568
Major Player

Hey!

I don't have either of these (yet), but I asked a similar question comparing/contrasting the XI, Optura 20/30 and the Pana 400. The consensus was that if you've got the $$, get the GS400. The XI and GS400 are pretty close in price and the 3 CCD advantage over the XI makes the difference worth it. The GS400 also has more manual control over the XI, though both would probably excel at whatever you wanted to do with them.

Hope this helps!
Patrick Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2004, 06:51 AM   #569
Major Player

Thanks Patrick.
So I think I will go for the GS400.

And you, did you finally made up your mind ? Did you buy the camera or is it too soon ?
Benjamin Durin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2004, 11:19 AM   #570
Major Player

For my purposes (going to be used for some high school projects), I'm actually going to get the GS400 (instead of the XI - main camera) and a couple of Optura 20s (dumping to edit, misc. student pick up stuff, etc).
Patrick Jenkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion