The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 2nd, 2002, 01:00 PM   #46
Obstreperous Rex

The biggest difference between the XL1S and PD150 has more to do with the overall look of the video. Sony video tends to be more towards the blue, cool, and sharper. Canon video tends to be more towards the red, warm, and softer. It's a personal preference, like flavors of ice cream. It can get confusing because both cameras allow you to tweak the image one way or the other.

The XL1S is a larger, modular system which can be configured in a variety of different ways through interchangeable components. The PD150 is a compact, all-in-one camcorder with a flip-out LCD. You can add to it with accessories.

The right camera for you is the one which feels best in your hands, and whose video most appeals to your eye when viewed on a pro video monitor. Everything else, and I mean everything, is secondary.

If you can't try out both cams at a local dealer, try to get to a major tradeshow (next one is WEVA in Las Vegas, last week of Aug.) and play with 'em, to your heart's content.

And, you can always browse our forum archives here as this question does get asked a lot. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2002, 01:04 PM   #47
Registration incomplete -- contact admin

Thank you very much Chris for the info! :-)

Revolver1010.
Revolver1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2002, 01:59 PM   #48
Obstreperous Rex

By the way I just noticed you're in Brooklyn... take the train into Manhattan and go to B&H at 34th & 9th Ave. They have all of these cameras set up and cabled to monitors. Spend an hour in there and try them out... pick the one you like best. Forget the specs and all the rest... the one which feels best in your hands and which looks right to you on the monitor is the one you need to buy.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2002, 05:49 PM   #49

Oh yeah I forgot about that. I've never personally been to B&H but have seen the website numerous times. I didn't realize they'd have all those cameras hooked up for viewing. Guess I need to wake up or something :-) Thanks again for your help!

Revolver1010.
Old August 4th, 2002, 02:54 AM   #50
Outer Circle

The PD150 does have higher resolution than the XL1s. But the XL1s has better audio and frame mode.

With the XL1s, you can change lenses, the PD150, you have to go with adaptors. But there are 16:9 adaptors available for the PD150; and as far as I know, there are no 16:9 lenses or adaptors available fot the XL1s.

Every cam has its strengths and weaknesses. Pick one that will suit your needs the best. Though the GL2 has smaller CCDs, its video effective pixel count is higher than both the XL1s and PD150. Personally, I think the new GL2 is a dream come true. It's not perfect, but d_mn near.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2002, 05:46 AM   #51
Warden

ZGC has an OpTex Anamorphic adapter for the XL1. However, with the 16x lens you can't zoon through the entire range. Details are on ZGC site http://www.zgc.com/html/anamorphic_attachment.html#xl1 Anamorphic Adapters are available for the GL1/2, PD150 that allow the full zoom range, as Frank said.
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2002, 05:07 PM   #52
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

let get more specific with the optex 16x9 on the XL .. it only works on a short range of the lens .. they claim 10mm to 25mm ( i say more like 12-20mm) you loose your wide angle and telephoto of the lens .. but if you can work within this range then you have a 16x9 image ...

the BEST anamorphic i've seen on the XL is using the P&S mini 35 adaptor with 35mm anamorphic lens ...
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2002, 06:10 PM   #53

<<<on the XL .. it only works on a short range of the lens .. they claim 10mm to 25mm ( i say more like 12-20mm)<<<

Is this only on the XL1S and not the PD150?

Revolver1010.
Old August 4th, 2002, 06:22 PM   #54
Outer Circle

The member is writing about the adaptor fot the XL1(s). One has more choices with the PD150 regarding 16:9 adaptors.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2002, 05:49 AM   #55

I'm sorry, let me re-word that. Is the limited zoom range with the widescreen adaptor only effect the XL1S or does it also affect the PD150? Thanks for all the replies by the way!

Revolver1010.
Old August 5th, 2002, 06:08 AM   #56
Warden

There are 16:9 anamorphic adapters that zoom through the entire zoom range for the sony PD150, Canon GL1/2 and others. Follow the links and you'll see. Both Century Precision and OpTex have adapters. The adapters are available from 2 of the sponsors, ZGC and Zotz.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2002, 07:44 AM   #57

<<<-- Originally posted by jtdonald : There are 16:9 anamorphic adapters that zoom through the entire zoom range for the sony PD150, Canon GL1/2 and others. >>>

Cool! Thanks again for the info :-)
Old August 12th, 2002, 06:58 PM   #58
Boseafus

Newbie...I need help picking a camera

Hi all,

I am going to purchase a digital camera for a youth group that I work with. I simply would like some input on what to look for in a digital camera. The kids have raised $1000 and I have to keep it around there. I know we won't be able to purchase a great camera for that but I am looking for a camera that will hook up to a brand new comp I built for them and will make little movies. That's another thing. Software? Any suggestions that wouldn't put me out of my budget.

Thanks
B
Old August 12th, 2002, 07:05 PM   #59
Regular Crew

You might look into the Sony TRV900 (3 chip).

As far as software...Premiere 6.5 was just released. You can buy an ADS Pyro card and Premiere for around $350 bucks.
Jason Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2002, 07:25 PM   #60
Regular Crew

Or $ 299 for academic version of Final Cut Pro 3, as long as one of your kids is a student of any sort.
elusive_kudo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion