The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 49 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 28th, 2005, 10:29 PM   #721
Major Player

I find it hard to believe there isn't a shop in California that would have any or ALL of these cameras in stock for him to compare. You know Hollywood is out there and that's where most of the film/video stuff happens. New York is just a big port and is the logical place to have a big warehouse for goods that are being imported. It would cost almost as much to fly to NY and stay for a few days to look at cameras as it would to just buy the camera and throw it away if you didn't like it. (airfare, hotels, food, transportation etc.)
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 11:09 AM   #722
Contributor

I didn't know he was in CA...try Promax or Samy's in L.A.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 11:49 AM   #723
Obstreperous Rex

Or our sponsor, Express Video Supply in Glendale. Tell Rush and Cody hello for me,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2005, 09:41 PM   #724
Major Player

If you were in the market for a camera ?

Ok - the way I see it , everyone who's keeping up with the market knows no one is buying a camera before nab - but , that aside , the way it's rounding up is :
1) a sony pal model dcr- hc90 ( 16:9 ,shoots 25p and is tiny & cheap ) - 9 bills
2) a sony dsr-pdx10 ( great 16:9, great audio , sony pro div ) 16 bills
3) a dvx ( still, I'd like one even after 2 years ! ) about 30 bills
4 ) an fx1 ( the camera I'd buy if I had any sense and didn't want to spend another 17 bills more ) - about 32 bills
5) a Z1 - the camera of the moment- 49 bills
6) the future is unknown - but I could easily wait until NAB , but I don't think my budget could expand past a Z1 so why think about the pany and jvc cameras ! ( of course they could come in around 50 bills but I doubt it )

so , I think the toss up is the dvx or the fx1 - only about 2 bills difference . Any opinions ?
( all pricing based on a good online seller and relative to each other )
thanks for your comments - Kurth
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2005, 11:01 PM   #725
Wrangler

I've pondered this too, and although it costs more I think the z1 would be my choice. The PAL and NTSC are reason enough for me, even if I never shoot HDV. Not ready to take the plunge just yet though.

I already have a PDX-10 and have been very happy with it for two years. I paid $2,200, but at $1,600 it's quite a deal. It has its quirks, but once you get used to them it can deliver pretty impressive 16:9.

Also consider that the FX1 and Z1 might come down in price a bit after NAB in response to whatever new models are introduced.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2005, 10:28 AM   #726
Major Player

Boyd - that's why the pdx10 is on the list. Of course if I was wealthy , I'd like one of each , please. And yes , the Z1 is the camera of the moment and I'd like to hear good justifications for going for it over the fx1. I've been reading the posts and I like what I read about cf30. If one stays in one world and doesn't need xlrs' , I think the fx1 , at about 1700 less is a bargain. What do you think about just using a mini-plug shotgun like the sennheiser mke 300 ? I don't like the idea of the added buld from a beachtek. I was rather disappointed that sony didn't make that hotshoe on the fx intelligent but it was probably intelligent of them because I could have used the adapter with my pd100 to give me xlr. then there's the subject of the dvx. I've found it online from decent vendors , with rebate and MB editors , for as little as 26 bills. And there is something to be said for the idea resolution isn't everything. But the problem is if one buys now and doesn't buy into HDV , then one could have regrets in a year when moneys' short and another year must be calendared before another purchase. I've also read a post by Nattress on another forum that his tests using filmeffects 2 on fx1 footage is 16mm quality. Now Mr. Nattress is one of those of those posters that always gets my attention so , with FE2 on 60i material for 24p and cf30 mode for staying digital, is that enough ? Yes I know the ability to shoot 50i cf25 is lost unless using a pal model or the z1 , but is that worth $1700 ? thanks for reading - Kurth
Old March 16th, 2005, 12:08 PM   #727
Wrangler

I agree, the FX-1 is a great value. Like their other cameras though, they've crippled the firmware. Things which sound like nice upgrades on the Z1 (off the top of my head)

PAL/NTSC
XLR's
Split channel level controls
underscanning viewfinder/LCD
customizable peaking colors
ability to turn off all the screen overlays (this REALLY bugs me on the PDX-10)

Yeah the DVX looks great too, especially if you can get it that cheap. Just wish it was native widescreen. I suppose you also have to consider the XL2 if you're willing to spend $5,000...
Old March 16th, 2005, 01:16 PM   #728
Major Player

thanks Boyd - you always make good points that require further thinking- k
Old March 16th, 2005, 01:25 PM   #729
Major Player

Wait a few weeks. Prices could come down. There could be a new DVX with 16.9 native. It may become obvious why HDV is at risk of being an orphan format.
Bob Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2005, 11:43 PM   #730
Wrangler

Sure, anything could happen and I agree that this is a bad window to make any video related purchases (I want to upgrade to a newer version of FCP but am putting that off until NAB).

However, Panasonic's Jan Crittenden has categorically denied that there will be a major upgrade to the DVX-100a in several posts here. She has stated however that the DVX-100b is coming and the only significant change will be compliance with some Euro regulations about toxic materials using in consumer products.

But I guess we'll just have to wait a few weeks to see how it plays out.
Old March 17th, 2005, 05:15 AM   #731
Trustee

Kurth,

In spite of my initial enthusiasm for an HDV camera, I ended up buying a PDX10 recently. And I think it will always be an excellent B camera when I go into HDV later on.

The points Boyd raises are probably the most important to get as a plus in the Z1, and I would probably add black level adjustment to it.

But I don't think the XLR inputs are that important. I have been an external preamp defender for a long time in these forums, and I continue to be even after my PDX10 purchase.

You can use the mini-plug input on the FX1 if you get a proper cable that you should leave forever plugged in. The connector can be screwed in, so it won't suffer the worst 1/8" plug malady that is wiggling when plugged in. If you screw/unscrew it every time you use it, the threads and internal springs will wear out.

Disregard the MKE300 mic, as it's really a toy mike. Get a proper hypercardioid mic with XLR output placed on a proper suspension that is a bit away from the camera. I use the Bracket A, but you can get any other. That and the elastic suspension will allow you some pointing of the mic and cut some camera or handling noises.

A note though: the camera is the worst place for your mic to be in. The mic should be closer to your subject and placed at the right angle, which is usually 45 degrees from above. For that you will need a mic stand or a mic person. If you are alone and interviewing, try to get your mic closer to your subject, even if you have to place it on a bench or something.

If you can get an active external preamp/mixer, that will inject line or mic level signals into the FX1. Having separate pots for each mic will allow you finer adjustments, instead of the camera pot. The place the camera pots are allows very little adjustment during shooting, and an external preamp can help there. Beachtek has passive and active models.

The image quality between the FX1 and Z1 should be the same, only the adjustments are better on the latter. You can still get superb results from it.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 09:43 AM   #732
Major Player

thanks Carlos - great response . My thoughts are I would hate to bulk up the fx anymore but you're right about the bt having more available hands on control. I already have a good audio technica 835 ( i believe is the # ). Today I want to check into prices for matteboxes and follow focuses. My thinking is .... a bare z1 or a beefed up fx1 ( maybe I'll start a new thread over there with that ques )? And your absolutely right about the pdx10. It's always been , since I decided about 6 months ago to buy a new camera, in the running as 16:9 is my most important feature (if Nattress only had his uprezzing plugin ready ). And , as with John , I would definitely be interested in a native 16:9 dvx but I agree with Boyd on that one . However I'm probably not going to make my decision before mid april anyway and if the new panasonic came in cheap ( in the z1 range )w/o p2 cards then that could swing my vote. But , like you said , that little sony at $16 bills is now a real deal and probably all I need . Truth be told, probably all I need is the little sony hc90 , that has a true 16:9 and 30p. I'm a firm believer in content 90% - image 10%. However , it's so much fun shopping for toys/tools. thanks for your responses guys. Kurth
Old March 18th, 2005, 08:28 AM   #733
Major Player

HD1 died, any ideas? + need cheap cam FAST!!

I had a power spike or something late last night. I had my HD1 on the AC charger going into a UPS (comp is on a seperate UPS) and it even tripped that up. Lights got brighter for a split second (one lightbulb blew in the house) and then everything shut off. The cam UPS never switched into battery mode. When the power came back on, the HD1 wasn't working. Not sure what to do I just let it sit and went to bed (mainly to avoid panic*). Now this morning, it's still doesn't turn on - in either Play or Cam mode, on battery or AC. The UPS it was on is working fine (unplug it from the wall, it makes it's chirp and keeps things running).

Does anyone have anything at all I can try? Is there a settings battery inside that I can try pulling out? Maybe it's 'CMOS' or something got borqed? AIEEE

* I've got a bouldering/rock climbing gig this weekend I'm supposed to be taping ($$$, hotel, etc).

What is the absolute cheapest rock bottom *decent* cam that I can run out and buy at the local Best Buy or Circuit City within the next few hours. I've got a Ritz nearby as well, but that's about it (Columbia, MD area if anyone can recommend me a shop). I've seen the GS-120 for $500ish. I know they usually have the Opturas as well.

Thank you thank you thank you...

*avoids panic*
Patrick Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2005, 08:46 AM   #734
Wrangler

No experience with either the HD1 or cheap single chippers, but you should call your electric utility company and file a report. If you can document/corroborate your power spike problems you may be able to collect some damages from them.

Sounds like there's probably some sort of internal fuse in the camera that's blown...
Old March 20th, 2005, 08:51 AM   #735
Regular Crew

LOVE the desk Boyd..really nice..

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion