The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 50 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 20th, 2005, 09:08 AM   #736
Wrangler

Sorry, I'm not sure what that means...?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2005, 01:24 PM   #737
Inner Circle

Quote:
* I've got a bouldering/rock climbing gig this weekend I'm supposed to be taping ($$$, hotel, etc).

What is the absolute cheapest rock bottom *decent* cam that I can run out and buy at the local Best Buy or Circuit City within the next few hours. I've got a Ritz nearby as well, but that's about it (Columbia, MD area if anyone can recommend me a shop). I've seen the GS-120 for $500ish. I know they usually have the Opturas as well.
Maybe you could rent a camera? If you need an item for a few days most rental places will give you 3-day weeks or things like that (pay for 3 days, have the camera for 7).

For a consumer-type camera renting may not be that economical. If the client is important you might want to rent a professional-looking camera so they feel good about spending their money on you (consumer cameras aren't inspiring).

2- Best Buy and Circuity City likely have decent refund policies, so I suppose you can return the camera if you qualify for a refund. Keep the original receipt and things like that. Plus, those stores are usually overpriced (unless it's open box). I'll stop giving hints now.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2005, 09:21 PM   #738
Major Player

Thanks all for the responses!

Actually a friend of a friend ended up bring a GL2 so the weekend was saved...

I went out today and bought a GS150 for my own personal replacement (plus a full compliment of 37mm filters and lenses). I love the HD1 hdv (even w/ the quirky controls) and I was thinking about replacing it with the same, but I decided to hold off until the next round of cams come out. The Sony doesn't interest me (interlaced, not progressive) and JVC and Pana seem to have something in the wings.

In the meantime, I've contacted the insurance co and the power co and I'll see what I can do with that, but ultimately the weekend worked out fine. Nothing like have unforseen catastrophe at the absolute last minute to really test your abilities under stress ;)
Patrick Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 12:31 AM   #739
New Boot

Which camera is for me?

There are so many camera choices out now that Im not really sure which camera I wanna go with. Im mainly going to shoot sports footage, autoracing, outdoor events, hunting/fishing footage. Im not interested so much in 24p because Im not looking for an indie film camera. Im leaning toward the FX1 because of picture quality but some drawback are no XLR inputs and lack of HD delievery. Ive also heard of some blurring when panning the FX1. I'd like to get some input on what everyone thinks which camera would fit my needs. If it means anything Im editing on AVID Xpress Pro.

Thanks,
Andrew
Drewid20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 09:35 AM   #740
Wrangler

Unless you have clients DEMANDING HD, then your choice is the Canon XL2.

I still prefer an old XL1 for sports shooting over Panasonic and Sony's offerings.
Old April 1st, 2005, 10:52 AM   #741
Trustee

Try the Sony DSR PD 170, if anything else then for its easy maneuverability. Fantastic picture, too, but then again, I own that and an XL1s.
Old April 5th, 2005, 10:26 PM   #742
Wrangler

best travel/vacation camera

A theoretical discussion:
During my last vacation, my little Canon ZR40 proved woefully underpowered. Not wide enough lens, not enough low light picture, so-so sound. The only thing it was really good at was being small enough to put in my cargo pants pocket and shoot inconspicuously in places I maybe shouldn't have been shooting.

This is what I'm looking for in a travel camera:
Very good picture quality.
A wider lens.
Big telephoto not as important, but a good image stabilizer is.
Very good low light performance.
Good sound with the on-board mic.
Small size is preferable, but if it won't fit in my pocket (and I realize it likely won't) then I don't care how big it is -up to a point (XL2 too big).
Must have shoe mount.
Some manual control would be sweet.
HDV would be nice for future considerations, but not essential since it limits my choices.
Widescreen would be nice, but not essential.
24p not needed.

What would my perfect travel/vacation video camera be?
Old April 5th, 2005, 10:29 PM   #743
Skyonic New York

funny you should ask..i just bought my travel camera

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=42405
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 12:52 PM   #744
Regular Crew

camcorder w/ best quality under $1200?

I am not sure where to put this thread but is there any kind of concensus, or could I have suggestions as to which camcorder right now $1200 and under has the best looking video quality overall, even to use for say a cable television/satellite show, etc?

Just overall the best looking video - color, resolution, etc.

Thanks for any suggestions,
John Haskins
John Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 12:57 PM   #745
Skyonic New York

is that new or used? because i might be tempted to get any used 1/3 3 chip cam with full manual then a new anything without it...
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 03:11 PM   #746
Regular Crew

I got a Panasonic GS400 for about your $1200 mark. With the exception of some manual control, it's 3-1/4" ccd's give me an image like my friends GL2. The only real problem with the GS400 is that the exposure wide open doesn't compete with my VX2100...not even close.

For the price point, you could hunt up a used VX2000...
Jeremy Rank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 05:09 PM   #747
Regular Crew

camcorder performance, cable/satellite/greenscreen

Thanks for the comments so far.

Also, is it an ABSOLUTE that a 3 chip DV camcorder, even a 1/6 inch ccd 3-chip, is better for greenscreening than any 1 chip, say like a Canon Optura? or is this not always the case?

Thanks,
John
John Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 05:16 PM   #748
Wrangler

I've been seeing used Canon Gl1's for around the $1000 mark. Not sure how it compares against the GS400.
Old April 6th, 2005, 09:45 PM   #749
Wrangler

I've been carrying a Sony PC110 around for a long time now and really like it. Not great in low light but I've used it out with the police at night. They really like the super night shot where we can look deep into back yards without shining an obvious light on them.

The megapixel still camera does quite well and, of course, the newer 3 megapixel models would be even nicer.

The on-board microphone is fairly good but I carry an inexpensive Sony Stereo microphone as well.

I have a Century WA adapter that is incredibly sharp at all zooms.

The image stabilizer is very effective.

I use this camera as an Altar Camera for weddings. The brides really like the different POV. It cuts well with my PD150 and DSR-300 footage as long as the light doesn't get too dim.

Did I mention it is rugged and because of the bottom-opening tape compartment, fairly well sealed against dust and the misfortunes of the environment.

I find that stealth is important on vacation as is size. I wouldn't bring my PD-150 along as it is way too big.

My previous vacation camera was a Sony 3300 Hi-8. It was fairly small as 8mm cameras go but it was a bit too large to schlep around Europe.
Old April 30th, 2005, 05:46 PM   #750
Major Player

Hawaii vacation - which camcorder

I will be heading to Hawaii this summer for two weeks with my family - vacation time. I'm trying to decide if I should take my Canon GL2 camcorder, or my Sony DCR TRV10. The Canon is a better camcorder, but it's definitely larger. Has anyone out there done a Hawaii vacation with their camcorder? Any advice?
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion