The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 53 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 28th, 2005, 01:41 AM   #781
Regular Crew

I'd have to say Optura Xi.
Mostly for pricing factor, I hear it's a pretty good camera.
Although I know nothing about how it performs with a green screen
Evan Strobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2005, 01:53 AM   #782
Regular Crew

The XI

Yeah I have read up on the XI and instead of having 3ccd's its got a color filter system, which isn't bad but still not quite the same as a 3ccd. Thanks for your opinion though. Have you heard anything on the TRV900 or 950? There are a few on ebay.
Nathan Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2005, 08:11 AM   #783
Major Player

Quote:
Hey Glenn, there is one thing a $400 camcorder can do that a $1000+ camera can't do on a $1000 budget... that is to leave Evan with $600+ leftover to buy (build) a light kit, microphone, tripod, boom, extra batteries, etc...
LOL. That's true!
Bryan Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2005, 02:54 PM   #784
Regular Crew

which?

I'm thinking of the PV-DV953 (used), however I realize its ccd's are 1/6 in size and isn't good at low light (doest bother me). I currently have a trv58 sony (1 ccd which is 1/6 and 270k) , not that good of a camera. So I have considered a 3ccd camera for some projects that I will be doing, which I will be using some green screen etc. I have been looking at the gl2 at an Ultimate Electronic's store I have here and the camera is awesome, however I just do not have the money. So its between the trv900, trv950, pvdv953. I have also looked at the Canon GL1 but I cant find a decent deal on that either. Any other opinions or other camcorder options..thanks guys....

Last edited by Nathan Petersen; May 29th, 2005 at 03:37 PM.
Old May 30th, 2005, 07:27 AM   #785
Wrangler

Try browsing back through our TRV-950 forum. You'll find a number of threads about the 900 and 950 there. Or do a search and limit the results to that forum.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=43
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2005, 09:46 AM   #786
suspended -- contact admin

If you want something that looks like film and it looks sharp and clean get yourself a JVC GR-HD1 camcorder. This camcorder is about 3 times sharper than the regular camcorders and at 30 frames per secound it really has the film look. It can be had for about 2000 dollars at B&H video but it is well worth it.
Tommy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2005, 09:58 AM   #787
Major Player

Straight out of the box "film like" is probably best achieved with a Panny DVX100. Price is higher than your budget tho from memory, and IMO you can recreate progressive shooting and colour curves by learning your NLE properly.

http://www.adamwilt.com/24p/ is a nice page about it tho.

In your shoes, I'd buy what I shoot already.. a PD150/170. Audio is excellent (via twin XLRs) its the most renowned camera in its class for low lighting, and its professional enough for the BBC to take favour with it (altho they're now being replaced with the HDV cams.) Its small, but looks pro.. but if it doesn't look pro enough just bolt on a big mattebox, a nice big shotgun mic and stick it on a pro tripod and nobody will argue with you.

I'm a big fan of making big upgrades.. I never saw the point of jumping from a $400 cam to a $600, so I went from consumer, to prosumer to pro (JVC DVL model > Sony TRV950 > Sony PD150. I have the 950 still.) and each jump up has left me grinning for a long long time.
James Connors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2005, 11:19 PM   #788
Regular Crew

I'm thinking of just getting the Optura XI, I know its not a 3ccd camcorder however its got a whomping 1/3.4 ccd with a RGB color filter. How does the XI stack up with some three ccd models such as the pvdv953 or pvgs400 etc? Thanks for the reply.
Old June 10th, 2005, 08:31 AM   #789
New Boot

Advice to a Newbie just about to buy a Prosumer Camera

Hello ...

I'm new to this forum and also to the world of filmmaking. I made a few edited shorts on my Sony Handycam DV but nothing of great promise.

Anyhow, I'm looking for advice.

I'm just about to upgrade from my pathetic handycam to a prosumer camera and I'm looking at purchasing the Canon Gl2.

I intend to make documentary films - reality films based on an environmental perspective. My first documentary would be of gardens and gardening and permaculture so there will be a lot of outdoor shots, landscape shots, a few interviews and close ups of flowers, bees, tiny baby praying mantis.

Is the Gl2 recommended for this kind of filmmaking?

I once was interested in the Xl2 but the lack of funds kind of kept that one out of my reach. In addition, the size and shape is a bit overwhelming ... especially if I want to do "guerilla" environmental films. It's kind of hard to sneak around with that kind of equipment and I also don't want to stick out in a crowd. :-)

So, what kind of camera would you all recommend for me?

Thanks!

Jordanne
(from the Los Angeles area)
Jordanne Dervaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 08:56 AM   #790
Wrangler

Couple other options to consider. Both of these cameras are physically smaller than the GL-2, and both would offer some specific advantages:

1. Panasonic DVC-30, $1,650 at B&H after rebate. Has the option to add pro audio with an XLR adaptor and mike. Can add an IR light for shooting in the dark. 1/4" chips like the GL-2. I haven't used one, but they have gotten very good reviews and user feedback.

2. Sony PDX-10, $1,600 at B&H after rebate. Includes XLR inputs and short shotgun mike, shoots in DVCAM mode. The big advantage to this camera is its high resolution 16:9 mode which neither the GL-2, PD-170 or DVC-30 have. Downside: a little worse in very dark situations, it has 1/4.7" chips.

Other possibilities are the Sony PD-170 which probably sets the standard for documentaries. It's larger and more expensive however. The VX-2100 would give you the same chips and processing, but a little less manual control and no XLR inputs.

You might also consider the Sony FX-1, although larger still and priced like the PD-170. It can shoot native 16:9 in DV mode, or HDV if you want to get into hi-def down the road.
Old June 10th, 2005, 09:16 AM   #791
Major Player

If you're planning on doing Docs, I'd think you'd want better audio than just the typical built-in audio of most cams. If that's the case, then you'll either need an external shotgun mike and a cam with XLR inputs (or a separate 3rd-party XLR adaptor), or you'll need off-camera sound recording equipment. Recording the audio to the DV tape is probably the easier, especially for "guerilla" filming.

Also, as Boyd pointed out, those smaller cams (DVC30 and PDX10) will probably better suit your needs for "guerilla" filming. Personally, I've bought a PDX10 because I wanted the true 16:9 function.

And of course, it wouldn't be fair to mention those small cams and NOT mention the new Sony HC1 and A1 1080i HD cams. They might be out of your budget, and even beyond your needs, but at least they should be mentioned for you to consider.
Duane Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 07:50 PM   #792
Regular Crew

Searching for a good, cheap camera

I have completed two movies (that were basically building blocks and for fun) and used a regular $280 MiniDV Camera, but now I am in pre-production of my last movie during highschool and I hope to attract colleges with it. I would like a camera with the ability to perform well with low light, good picture, and a low price. I'm not looking for an XL2 but I'm also not going to be using the same camera as before. Please help.
Drew Meinecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 08:14 PM   #793
Wrangler

Hey Drew. I moved your thread to the Open DV forum because I think you'll get more responses here. There are a couple similar threads in progress which might be worth a look:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=46013
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=45894
Old June 10th, 2005, 08:23 PM   #794
Major Player

Have you considered rental? You'll be able to get a shoot with a much better camera than you could probably afford otherwise. You'd be surprised how cheap a good quality DV cam can be to rent for a week.
Duane Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 08:40 PM   #795
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Smith
Have you considered rental? You'll be able to get a shoot with a much better camera than you could probably afford otherwise. You'd be surprised how cheap a good quality DV cam can be to rent for a week.
I'm in highschool and I have actors that are in college and live in different cities and highschoolers with very busy schedules, so rental probably wouldn't work out because I plan on filming throughout all of 2006 with the bulk of the filming in the summer. Are there any links to rental sites you could give me?
Drew Meinecke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion