The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 54 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 10th, 2005, 10:28 PM   #796
Major Player

Get an Optura (except the 20).
Old June 12th, 2005, 03:44 PM   #797
Regular Crew

Which Camcorder Is Better?

Which camcorder is better, Canon GL2, or Sony DCR-VX2100? Thanks for your help, Clint.
Clint Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2005, 03:55 PM   #798
Wrangler

See the following thread on the same topic:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=45531
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2005, 08:01 PM   #799
Regular Crew

Best 3 CCD Camera? Under $2000 ?

I know this has been discussed before but I need to know everyone's opinion on the best 3 chip camera that you can buy under $2000. (Because I might actually buy one this time!) The only one I've used below is the GL2 and it turned out great. So this is what I have narrowed down:

Panasonic DVC30 $1800
Canon GL2 $1900
JVC GY-DV300U $1900
Sony DSR-PDX10 $1800
Panasonic PV-GS400 $1500
Sony DCR-HC1000 $1400

Please keep in mind that my main concern with the camera is the overall picture quality and it's low-light capability, because my main work is in live music videography and music videos. I'm leaning towards the Sony PDX10 simply because it includes an XLR adapter WITH phantom power, which would save me about $250 from buying a seperate adapter. But everyones telling me to go for the GL2 (for the price). Thanks so much for any feedback!!!
-Chris
Chris Scharff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2005, 08:14 PM   #800
Wrangler

Personally I'd cross the HC-1000 off the list. It has the same CCD's as the PDX-10, but many other limitations like small batteries, all the controls moved to the touch screen, etc.

The PDX-10 may not be the best choice for low light, but you are right about the XLR's. For me, the biggest factor in favor of the PDX-10 is excellent 16:9 capability. I gather the GS-400 can also give you that, but the others on your list cannot. Do you need to shoot 16:9? Is that more important than low light capability? If so, then get the PDX-10.
Old June 17th, 2005, 09:17 PM   #801
Wrangler

If size isn't a paramount concern then buy the largest CCDs you can afford! That puts the 1/3" 3CCD GY-DV300U at the top of the list. The GY-DV300U is hands down the best cam in low light of the cams you mentioned and it has dual XLR inputs. The only thing it doesn't have is a quality 16:9 mode like the PDX10 and GS400. The GY-DV300U will have a lot of features not found on smaller CCD cams like a selectable neutral density filter.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2005, 12:09 AM   #802
Major Player

I second what Tommy said. It's a steal.
Young Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2005, 05:19 AM   #803
New Boot

Checkout the cheaper 3 chip Panasonics. Optura's are also a safe bet. Sony's are nice too, each brand has models capable of shooting true 16:9, which would look good for your type of production.

I have similar intentions too. Just quietly building a portfolio if I ever decide to goto a film school or something. I started off using my brother's miniDV Sony camcorder and eventually purchased my Panasonic.

If you have to settle on a cheaper camera you feel you may be dissapointed with in the future, don't fret. Save up for better audio equitment and spend a lot of time looking into how you can improve your shots in the post-processing with software. Adequate lighting and audio is more important than video quality when everything is said and done.
Chase Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2005, 11:55 AM   #804
Regular Crew

Thanks. I would like to have the 16x9 option, as I would probably switch to that in the future as more cameras offer that standard. I need low-light because I'll be shooting in mostly dimly lit bars/club venues, and would certainly want to have some sort of film like feature (like the "frame movie" mode on the GL2. The JVC does sound good but I have never heard on anyone reccomending it before. Should I definitely buy one of these cameras brand new, or should I look at some used ones too, maybe a Sony PD150? I just hate not knowing exactly what I should I get, seeing as how this will be a huge purchase for me. Thanks again!

p.s. Does the JVC XLR inputs provide phantom power?
Chris Scharff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2005, 12:53 PM   #805
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Scharff
maybe a Sony PD150?
That will give you good low light response, but pretty poor 16:9. In your price range it will be hard to get both I'm afraid. The PDX-10 works fine for me shooting stage shows that are pretty dark. It has 14 bit DSP which means you can boost gain around 9db without much noticeable image noise. +12dB is generally usable too, +15dB shows noise, but may be OK depending on what you expect. +18dB starts getting ugly though.

The PDX-10 is about 2.5 f-stops slower than the PD-150, but this is offset by the cleaner gain boost. So adding 9dB of gain can make up for almost 1.5 of those f-stops, and practically speaking the difference between these two cameras may be closer to one f-stop. This comes from my personal experience shooting with a VX-2000 and PDX-10 in similar situations. Your mileage may vary.

Buying used is certainly a way to save some money, IF you know what you're getting into. But the warranty on a new camera plus that fact that it doesn't have any mileage on it yet are a big plus IMO...
Old June 29th, 2005, 08:46 AM   #806
New Boot

Looking for a new camera

I am looking for a new camera. I am going to do my research this time instead of walking into BestBuy like last year. My price range is $1000-$1500. I am shooting mostly wakeboarding and snowboarding. I edit with premier pro and after effects 6.5. I am looking for a 3ccd camera.

I have been thinking about the panasonic pv-gs400. Most of the complaints about this camera have been about its low light performance which really shouldn't effect me.

I also have a question about 16:9 format. On some websites I have seen people complaining that the camera's don't actually shoot in 16:9 and that the image is distorted when displayed on a widescreen TV. Any info on this topic as well is greatly appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

Joe
Joseph Jaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 09:09 AM   #807
New Boot

What about a Panasonic DVX100a?
Old June 29th, 2005, 10:15 AM   #808
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Jaggers
What about a Panasonic DVX100a?
Can you get this camera for $1500?
Jason J. Gullickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 12:54 PM   #809
New Boot

Two sites say you can.

Digitalliguidators.com

and

usa photo nation
Old June 29th, 2005, 01:48 PM   #810
New Boot

Dont use either of those retailers. Check them on resellerratings.com. They are crooks. Buy from the sponsors of this site.
Max Montgomery is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion