The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 55 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 29th, 2005, 02:53 PM   #811
New Boot

what about royal camera?
Joseph Jaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 12:05 AM   #812
Major Player

You can't buy a new dvx100a in the United states for less than about $3000. Period.
Old June 30th, 2005, 01:36 AM   #813
Major Player

New Camera

As you are discovering, it requires a huge investment in time to figure out what you actually need and where to get the best price for what you finally decide you want. Whew.... Glad I'm finally done with that process.

Max is right. Check out every internet site on resellers.com before you purchase from them. They have customer ratings and reviews. Very helpful although a tiny bit confusing to navigate.

I have included a link to the New York Better Business Bureau which describes "Gray Goods". Those resellers that are selling at abnormally low prices are more than likely selling grays which, if you read the article, aren't such a wise investment. http://www.newyork.bbb.org/library/p.../subrep45.html

Not to knock the Big Apple, but most of the gray market dealers are located in New York. But so are every legitimate reseller that I purchased from.

Just be careful out there and do the research.

Stephanie
Stephanie Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 06:54 AM   #814
Inner Circle

Try B&H, one of this site's sponsors as well as Zotz Digital.
B&H: http://www.bhphotovideo.com
http://www.zotzdigital.com/

B&H prices should be very close to the lowest price you can actually get.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 10:54 AM   #815
New Boot

Thanks for the help with that. The grey goods article cleared up alot of questions.

To get back to the original topic.

How the the picture on the GL2. I can get a new one from B&W for $2000, or I know I guy here that will sell me one for $1000 that he has had for 3 years, but has hardly been used.

Any coments on the GL2 are greatly appreciated. Also if there are any video clips online of footage shot with the GL2, that would be nice. Thanks

Joe
Old June 30th, 2005, 11:01 AM   #816
New Boot

How would the Canon GL2 compair to the Panasonic pv-gs400?

They are falling into a similar price range.

Thanks
Old June 30th, 2005, 11:56 AM   #817
Major Player

I can't make a comparison because I'm not familiar with the Panasonic pv-gs400. I can say that I've shot several hundred hours of tape with my GL2 and been very happy with the results. About half of it has been interviews in controlled environments and the other half has been performances on stage shooting from the back row of the audience. My only complaint - which is unfortunately not rare among GL2 users - is that I get the Eject the Cassette errors from time to time. (Look in the GL2 area for more on that.) I didn't get it at all for the first year though and can often predict when I'm likely to get it now so I avoid those situations when I can and grab a different camera when I can't. In spite of that I don't regret the purchase. The optics are good, the control over the image quality is good, it's light weight, and not intimidating to my subjects.
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 12:25 PM   #818
New Boot

Thanks for the opinion on the GL2

I have comprised a list on camera's that interest my and I am willing to splurge on from B&W's. I have read the reviews of the cameras on camcorderinfo.com

Any opinions compairing and contrasting these camera's would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help in advance.

panasonic pv-gs400
Panasonic AG-DVC30
jvc GR-HD1
jvc-DV300U
canon GL-2

Please keep in mind that the camera will be used almost entirely outside in a well light enviornment on a fast moving subject. For people not familiar with wakeboarding, here is a trailer to a video.

http://www.wakeworld.com/galleries/g...300&imageid=31

Joe
Old July 1st, 2005, 02:59 PM   #819
Regular Crew

optura xi

I would recommend the optura xi, I'm not sure what your budget is but you can get one for around 800.
Nathan Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005, 05:09 AM   #820
Regular Crew

second camcorder suggestions

I forgot what a pain it is to find a camcorder on a certain buget, reading reviews sucks, researching blah blah blah. Can you guys help me out here. I just basically need it for capture. Pass through option would be cool, 16bit audio. $350 buget.
Old July 7th, 2005, 07:18 AM   #821
Inner Circle

Don't you always get 16bit Audio if you record in 16bit?
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2005, 06:50 AM   #822
Tourist

What Camera should I choose

Hi

I have a VX2000 and am very happy with the results of my effost with it, but I'm looking for a small camera, 3CCD or single chip, that will give me real 16:9 and footage that could be interpolated with the Sony VX in widescreen mode. Being very inexperienced can anyone suggest what the smallest camera I could get would be?

thanks

Michael McGlynn
Old July 10th, 2005, 01:12 AM   #823
Major Player

perhaps you can get a true 16:9 adapter thats made for the vx2k? That way theres no need for a new camera, especially if the only new feature you're looking for is true 16:9 ...
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2005, 08:18 PM   #824
Regular Crew

camera

Try getting a Sony PDX10, it's a great little 16:9 camera.
Jacques Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2005, 10:59 AM   #825
New Boot

Mini-DV camcorder question

Hi

I've been looking for a camera to buy and well I have no idea what all the specs mean. I found this forum yesterday and hopefully someone can clarify some questions.

The reason I'm looking for a camcorder is to shot tennis player strokes like the serve, forehand, backhand, etc and be able to go slow motion without much skipping. The resolution should be pretty nice. I used my dad's camera before and it looked great on TV, but when I transfered it to the computer it was horribile.

Anyway is shutter speed the thing I need to look for to see more frames per second so that I can see slow motion better?

Also, what is the spec to look for when I want high resolution? Seems like none of the sites list video resolution.. which of these cameras would be the best, 2nd best? And how can I tell which one has the best resolution of these three.. any other recommendations without 800-1200 price range?

Sony DCR-PC1000
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...ycamCamcorders

Sony DCR-HC90
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...ycamCamcorders

Canon Optura 500
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...&modelid=10222
Tony Truong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion