The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 57 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 14th, 2005, 11:20 AM   #841
New Boot

Thanks for all the information. I will try out a few of these camcorders and see how they work. The JVC GR-HD1 that Chris mentions sounds like it might be worth a try too! Thanks again!
Tony Truong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 10:56 AM   #842
Tourist

Poker Cam / Lipstick Cam?

I'm interested in shooting a tournament style poker game and I need some info on the hole card cam.

Does anyone know what kind of camera would work well for this purpose? I have no knowledge of lipstick cameras and so forth, so I could use any info you've got.

thanks,

THCK
Mark Travers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2005, 02:27 PM   #843
Regular Crew

used 3CCD camera

Because of the work I am currently doing with the budget I have, I am wondering if anyone knows where to look for a used 3CCD camera. I have had access to and worked with a Sony PD-150 and would like something comparable. Any suggestions or experience with picking up used digicams would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx much,
Ramdas Lamb
Old July 30th, 2005, 02:34 PM   #844
Wrangler

For starters have a look at DVinfo's classified ads:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=16

Our sponsor B&H Photo also sells used equipment:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...rch&Q=&ci=2935
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 11:02 AM   #845
Tourist

considering picking up a camera

Hey folks, new guy here.

I've been doing DV videos with an old 1999 model sony camcorder, an old TRV 120 I think I bought new back then.

It's about time for a new camera and I need some help.

I really would like one with progressive scan, as 100% of my stuff is for playing on a computer and the interlacing has always given me fits, but I have a hard time justifying a $2000 camera for the amount of it I do.

As well a smaller camera might get me out taking helmet cam videos on my offroad bikes riding over jeep trail mountain passes and such.

Anyway, it seems I bought before the little spurt of consumer priced progressive scan cameras and I don't see any offered for $1000 or less. I don't even see interlaced or progressive in the specs of most of them.

What is the low end of the current progressive scan cameras out there?

What would be the best bet in looking for a used one? And is ebay the best place to look?

I may someday want to spend $3k on a camcorder but not now, if I did I would feel compelled to go out and use it enough to justify it. :)

Barring that, I use ulead media studio pro to edit, and would like the best info on getting the combing effects out of my videos.

The video is mostly recorded Svideo output from my computer screen through my video cards svga out port. Are there better capture devices for doing this than a DV cam?
John MacQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 12:18 PM   #846
Major Player

Not many options for true progressive. You could probably find an old Optura but it has no 16:9(I believe.) I'd try buying a deinterlacing program. One that doesn't require buying After Effects first is DVFilmmaker. It interpolates only objects that move. Stationary portions of the picture maintain their original sharpness. It's a standalone program for $149.

As far as cameras are concerned, the newer models that do true progressive but cost quite a bit are the Canon XL2, Panasonic DVX100a and the JVC HD1/HD10.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 12:22 PM   #847
Inner Circle

I used to use a TRV110 digital8 camcorder, and it was a great camera for its price. The newer cameras are like two steps forwards and backwards, so you may not be gaining much if you upgrade. One thing that does suck about digital8 is that you can't play back your tapes if you don't have your camera anymore (it gets damaged or stolenor eventually breaks down). So that may be something to watch out for, and possibly give you an excuse to buy a new camera.

As far as progressive scan goes, you could use an adaptive de-interlace filter to make things into progressive (with a little loss in vertical resolution). The ideal solution would be to get a camera that shoots progressive... the DVC30 from Panasonic does it and its over two thousand. There may be cheaper cameras.

2-
Quote:
The video is mostly recorded Svideo output from my computer screen through my video cards svga out port. Are there better capture devices for doing this than a DV cam?
There are software capture programs available such as Camtasia. If you're making web tutorials, Macromedia Captivate or Breeze looks really interesting.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 12:25 PM   #848
Wrangler

You could look for one of these:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=31187

I don't follow these less expensive models very carefully, but I think the 350 has been replaced with a new version.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 03:57 PM   #849
Inner Circle

The Panasonic GS400 has a kind of frame mode, which isn't completely progressive, but not interlaced too.
That one costs about I don't know, 1400 dollars new or so? But maybe you can find a used one?
Maybe put a demand in our Private Classifieds board.
Good luck.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2005, 05:46 PM   #850
Tourist

Well in looking around I think I might as well go up to the 1500-2000 dollar range, there are some options for progressive CCD's in that range that should do the trick.

I'd only regret it I think if I went with a used 30 frames per second lower res camera that's already a few years old.
John MacQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2005, 12:42 PM   #851
Regular Crew

Dvc 30

Now that you are looking in the 1500-2000 dollar range, you can definitely find a DVC 30 for that price.
Nathan Chaszeyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2005, 04:01 PM   #852
New Boot

Looking for a great camera for right around $3,000. Help?

First post here (hi all!). I'm a new camcorder user, but I'm a film major, so I know I'll get lots of use out of the camera I buy, and want something I can grow into, rather than something I'll need to replace in a couple of years. So I'm looking for something with as many bells and whistles as possible for under, or right around, $3,000.

Initially, I thought I had settled on a Canon GL2, but after reading about its problems, I've decided to scratch that and look for something else.

As a student, I'll be using my camera often and in many different types of environments, so I'm hoping you can help.

From the reading I've been doing, 3CCD seems important, as does the 16:9 resolution, and low light ability -- and I know I'll want good manual controls and the ability to change lenses. Is there anything else that is important to look for? It's good to hear about how your camera handles low light situations. I know that I want something that has good manual controls, as well as automatic (but I know the manual are even more important as I go along).

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm especially hopeful that someone with experience with various camcorders will weigh in. In any case, thanks for reading.

Oh, and because of a complicated situation, I have to find something by monday, Aug 15th.
Tina Coggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2005, 04:41 PM   #853
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina Coggins
First post here (hi all!). I'm a new camcorder user, but I'm a film major, so I know I'll get lots of use out of the camera I buy, and want something I can grow into, rather than something I'll need to replace in a couple of years. So I'm looking for something with as many bells and whistles as possible for under, or right around, $3,000.

Initially, I thought I had settled on a Canon GL2, but after reading about its problems, I've decided to scratch that and look for something else.

As a student, I'll be using my camera often and in many different types of environments, so I'm hoping you can help.

From the reading I've been doing, 3CCD seems important, as does the 16:9 resolution, and low light ability -- and I know I'll want good manual controls and the ability to change lenses. Is there anything else that is important to look for? It's good to hear about how your camera handles low light situations. I know that I want something that has good manual controls, as well as automatic (but I know the manual are even more important as I go along).

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm especially hopeful that someone with experience with various camcorders will weigh in. In any case, thanks for reading.

Oh, and because of a complicated situation, I have to find something by monday, Aug 15th.
Hi Tina,

Welcome to DV-INFO. With your budget, the current offerings include a couple cameras. The DVX100a is a great camera for an aspiring film major. Another option for slightly over 3K is the Sony HDR-FX1. A slightly feature limited version of the $4900 Z1. This camera shoots in HDV as well as standard DV. Worth a look for the increased resolution of HDV format. With either camera, you'll find a plethora of good, accurate info here to help base your decision on.

Good luck,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2005, 05:43 PM   #854
Trustee

Hi Tina - and Welcome,
As far as DV, I still consider myself a newbie, but I've learned a great deal in the last 10 months, and like yourself, I did a lot of research online to find a camera that suited my needs. I think Greg is right in recommending the DVX100a. You might find that it has an amazing following, and within your price range it pretty much includes most of what I think you are looking for.

One thing you mentioned that you might not find in your budget would be the ability to change lenses. I might be wrong on this, but I think the only prosumer dv cam that has the ability to change lenses would be the Canon XL2. This is the camera I own myself, and I love using it. I know I will continue to grow into this camera over the next few years at least - but it is somewhat outside of your designated budget - even with a 'good deal' at a trusted vendor.

If the lens thing is a biggie for you, you could probably look for an older 'used' XL1s. I think this model was originally released in 2001 and does not have some of the more advanced features found on newer cams touted by Sony, Canon, and Panasonic, etc. but it is still a strong contender in terms of image quality and customization. I am sure you could probably find a good working one within your budget range.

I am sure other, more seasoned folks will also be able to sound off on this thread. That's just my $.02.
-Jon
Jonathan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2005, 06:01 PM   #855
Inner Circle

I agree with Jonathan: look for an Canon XL1s or a Panasonic DVX100a.

BTW: in your budget, you do have money for a tripod and maybe some accesoires, or a good case and such?
Good luck!
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion