The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 61 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 29th, 2005, 11:26 AM   #901
Obstreperous Rex

I agree, stop counting pixels. The right camera for you is the one which feels best in your hands, and gives you the most appealing image on a video monitor.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2005, 12:34 AM   #902
Tourist

Recommend a Cam for me

Howdy, I perused the forums and I need some ideas. I have zero experience with cameras, less with camcorders. I'm looking for ?handycam? style dv cam. I'll be mounting on my sportbike for race footage and trip footage. I note some take decent still pictures and I want that. My budget is $400-$500. For editing I'll use a pc and it seems firewire is the accepted connect? Thanks in advance.

PS: I will eventually use helmet/pencil cams though I know even less about those.
Phillip Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2005, 12:12 PM   #903

Anders,

I currently have a XL2 and have been very happy with it. I spent a couple of months researching opinions and footage in these forums before I bought it back in late June. Even though I've been happy with it, I'm now thinking of adding a new DVX100B to my equipment list. Two big reasons - First, the size. Darko is right, I think it will be much easier carrying the DVX around than the XL2. Second, I've seen several videos in this forum that look just like film. And I think Mathieu is correct in that the XL2 CAN get that look, but the DVX gets it easier out of the box.

I have been watching the HDV stuff over the last month and a week ago said that I would get a HVX200 if I was buying one today, but I've changed my mind about that. I think HDV is great and everything, but really, I don't need it and from what I've seen the DVX's and XL2's can shoot some footage with brilliant colors. HDV footage (compressed and/or uncompressed) just requires too much storage space at this time (for my own personal taste at least), IMHO.

The XL2 does have the interchangeable lenses and easier manual focus capabilities as well as native 16 x 9. But the new DVX100B is just so much smaller, making it more likely to use because of it's easier handling.

With all that said, it sounds like you've really done your homework and are considering the right 4 cameras. This forum is a great resource for making educated decisions. Best of luck.
Old October 30th, 2005, 04:05 PM   #904
Regular Crew

Look at the options on this sight as part of your research:

http://www.chasecam.com/

They specialize in what you are looking for.
Sheila Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2005, 09:00 PM   #905
Tourist

Thanks for the reply and the link. I have a friend with this http://www.helmetcamera.com/ they look like they same cam.
Old October 31st, 2005, 08:11 PM   #906
Tourist

64 views and one reply?
Old November 1st, 2005, 02:32 AM   #907
New Boot

Well thanks alot.

I must say that i mostly lean towards the DVX100, because of it's size and becuse it should be a bit easier to use. But it irritates me that it does'nt have native 16-9 as I will be shooting 16-9.......But hopefully I will not experience the big difference.

Also reagarding the sound part, is it ok on the DVX, I of course plan on bying a good shotgun mic with the cam. I was thinking the Sennheiser ME66, because I've been working with it before and it was good. But maybe you could recommend a cheaper one that is just as good?

Anders
Anders Obbekjaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2005, 06:39 AM   #908

You may want to take a look at this link. Click below then click the fourth button that says "Location Sound Package." I've got the Sennheiser wireless G2 and have been quite happy with it. Thanks to Guy's video it took me 5 - 10 minutes to set up while watching the video (same link below).

http://dvestore.com/theatre/index.html

Good luck. Brian, from Zotz Digital, (one of the sponsors of this forum) told me that he was expecting the DVX100B's this week. If you are looking for a good price with good service (before and AFTER the sale), I've not found a better place for buying a camcorder.
Old November 1st, 2005, 11:55 AM   #909
Regular Crew

Which 3ccd, 16:9 camcorder to get?

Ok, probably been covered in detail, but here is what I need.

3ccd (although the A1U CMOS may be a possiblity but I have not seen it)

16:9 Native (very important for me). I hear the argument that most people don't have wide screen tv's which is true, but wide screen is still a better format on any tv. My opinion of course and we have a 16:9 tv.

Would love the lowest LUX rating I can get. Not going to be shooting in complete darkness, but low light always helps

HD or 24P not extremely important at this time. Blue_ray on the horizon is interesting though.

Interchangeble lenses not a big factor to me.

XLR standard not an issue since there are adapaters with phantom power if needed.

Basically looking for great colors and a clear picture with 16:9 native and good manual controls.

I do not want to spend huge amounts of dollars and am not planning on showing movies at Sundance. I was looking at the Sony FX1, but am wondering if there may be something that fits my needs better.

Thanks for all help.
Michael Stowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2005, 12:07 PM   #910
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Stowe
Ok, probably been covered in detail, but here is what I need.

3ccd (although the A1U CMOS may be a possiblity but I have not seen it)

16:9 Native (very important for me). I hear the argument that most people don't have wide screen tv's which is true, but wide screen is still a better format on any tv. My opinion of course and we have a 16:9 tv.

Would love the lowest LUX rating I can get. Not going to be shooting in complete darkness, but low light always helps

HD or 24P not extremely important at this time. Blue_ray on the horizon is interesting though.

Interchangeble lenses not a big factor to me.

XLR standard not an issue since there are adapaters with phantom power if needed.

Basically looking for great colors and a clear picture with 16:9 native and good manual controls.

I do not want to spend huge amounts of dollars and am not planning on showing movies at Sundance. I was looking at the Sony FX1, but am wondering if there may be something that fits my needs better.

Thanks for all help.
Sony DSR-PDX10 will fit the bill. I got one recently (used off ebay) and am VERY impressed with it (the one weak point is the low light sensitivity).
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2005, 12:18 PM   #911
Major Player

What is your budget?
Old November 1st, 2005, 12:45 PM   #912
Regular Crew

Budget

My budget will be around $3500 give or take. The less the better :-)
Michael Stowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2005, 12:47 PM   #913
Wrangler

I have both a PDX-10 and an HVR-Z1 (the pro cousin of the FX1). I've used the PDX-10 extensively and it's a really nice little camera and an excellent value if you're on a budget.

However the FX1 and Z1 are a big step up. For one thing the 1/3" CCD's on the the Z1 are shaped in the 16:9 aspect ratio. The PDX-10 does "real" 16:9 also, but its 1/4.7" CCD's are in the 4:3 shape. They are high enough resolution to give full quality 16:9, but there's considerably less surface area than the Z1.

The FX1/Z1 have far better manual controls and provide full on screen feedback. The iris knob on the FX1/Z1 is a vast improvement over the thumbwheel on the PDX-10 which moves in very noticeable bumps when adjusting in manual mode. The PDX-10 also has far fewer image controls in its customs presets as compared to the FX1/Z1 picture profiles. And of course the PDX-10 can't shoot HDV.

Certain things about the design of the PDX-10 mean that it doesn't really offer full manual control in manual mode (internal ND filters which Sony has never documented automatically drop in an out of the optical path).

Now of course the FX1 costs nearly twice the PDX-10 and the Z1 approaches 3 times the price. They are also a lot bigger and heavier (maybe good or bad depending on your needs).

So if you're on a tight budget and can accept a few compromises then definitely look at the PDX-10; used properly it will give you terrific 16:9 SD. But the FX1 and especially Z1 offer a lot more control, will give better SD quality, better low light performance and HDV as a bonus.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2005, 12:55 PM   #914
Major Player

You could always go for the A1E.. no idea if they're any good, but its a nice idea :)

http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/cgi-b...m=sony_hvr-a1e
James Connors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2005, 12:59 PM   #915
Major Player

You might look at the FX1. $3500 is right in that ball park. I will just second Boyd's opinions here rather then fill the board with spam.

A1E is a single CCD. Michael was asking about 3CCD cams...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion