The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 64 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 15th, 2005, 01:23 PM   #946

Compact Dig. Video Cam. Suggestions

Hi Friends,

I'm downgrading from a GL-2 and just want something very compact, but
still high quality video for documentary video, traveling, etc.

Something which could take a good quality digital photo would be nice too so I don't have to carry more than one camera.

I am leaning toward Mini-DV format again. Any better suggestions? I don't care, but I just want to archive a high quality copy.

Thanks very much!!!

:)
Dan
Old November 15th, 2005, 09:58 PM   #947
Major Player

I just saw a magazine with a Panasonic ad showing the worlds smallest 3CCD camera. Fits in palm of your hand. The picture looked really cool. But the moron who wrote the ad never put any identifying info like a model number in the ad, so I can't help you there...
Old November 15th, 2005, 11:07 PM   #948

dvd camcorders

Thanks for the reply.

In my search for a compact digital camcorder, should I consider a DVD camcorder?

Someone recently told me that the digital video archived on a DVD is not the high quality you would get with a Mini-DV tape, so I thought I'd stay clear. Is this true?

Thanks,
Dan
Old November 15th, 2005, 11:17 PM   #949
Major Player

MPeg2 recording, I don't know the bit rates.

Compressed data needs to be uncompressed and re-rendered frame by frame

Discs are expensive and hard to find at times.

Discs only hold 20 minutes.

I am not sure about disc finalization processes required.
Old November 15th, 2005, 11:24 PM   #950

Any tapeless camcorders on the market for
$1,000 or less ?

And, at the same time, a camcorder which would take at least a nice still image...
Old November 15th, 2005, 11:45 PM   #951
Wrangler

Check out the Optura 600. (that's the 600 not the 60). There are links to reviews in the Optura FAQ

Though it's still advisable to get an inexpensive digicam for what you want to do.
Old November 15th, 2005, 11:50 PM   #952

Probably good advice to get a separate digital camera instead
of trying to double dip.

What inexpensive mini-dv would you suggest?
Old November 15th, 2005, 11:58 PM   #953
Wrangler

The Canon Optura 50 or Optura S1
Old November 16th, 2005, 12:16 AM   #954

thanks Michael, I'll check those out.
I'm downgrading from a GL-2, so I want something which still has some digital video quality so I can use it for some Video Documentaries if I'd like to. Doesn't have to be as good as the GL-2, but you know what I mean..
Old November 17th, 2005, 10:09 AM   #955
Regular Crew

Looking for a tough and rugged camera

We have a Outdoor Hunting and fishing show and to say the least we are not easy on our equipment. We are using a GL2 at the time and are looking at getting another camera. We have not had good luck with the GL2. It is less than 2 years old and we have spent 1000 in repairs. Any opinions would be appreciated on GL2 and others in that price range.

Thanks
John Arman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 12:36 PM   #956
Inner Circle

I would look at the Sonys (PD170) I know from personal experience they can take some rough handling. Not to mention that the 150 was the camera of choice for the embeded journalist during the beginning of the Iraq war. Talk about some rough conditions!
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 12:45 PM   #957
Major Player

if the camera is for shooting only and not audio, i'd recommend the vx2100 or vx2000 for sake of saving money. if you need a combo of video and audio power, get the pd series, 150 or 170. Definitely hardcore, reliable cameras, no doubt about it.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 01:32 PM   #958
Wrangler

i wonder if it isn't your particular unit. my GL2 has been all over the place. up mountains (13 - 14,000 ft. peaks), at beaches, camping. i've put it through all kinds of torture. mine seems very sturdy, compact, and rugged.

i recently bought an fx-1 and think it is a pretty sturdy unit. i bought it lightly used for just about the same price i paid for my original GL2, and it has magnificent HDV quality. i would probably not buy the old sonys, not when you can get HDV at these prices. shooting landscapes and outdoor footage is where HDV really dazzles. and you can always downconvert out of the camera to SD. the fx-1 gets a bad rap for lowlight performance, but i don't think it is all that bad. you should check it out. the ergonomics on that camera make it very fun and easy to operate.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 01:09 PM   #959
New Boot

Choice of camera

Don't know if this is the right place to post but I was wondering if someone could give me some tips on wich camera to buy.

I'm going to buy the DVX100b or the FX1 this week but even after reading alot of information I found on these forums I'm still not sure wich one.
HDV ain't really important to me yet, only in case of resale this might be important, and neither is 24p / or at least I think ,I prefere faking the so called "cinema look" in post production.

I really liked the z1u wich I had placed at my disposal for a couple of months, and I really liked the design and options of the camera.
But I still don't know whats the best choice in picture quality wich is the most important factor for me but with picture quality I do mean best looking, and not most pixels ccd.

I will be using the camera to film shortfilms etc. Not weddings or other, mostly short fiction films.

Thanks already,

Daniël
Daniel Clays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 04:17 PM   #960
Inner Circle

If you are going for shorts, and for the most filmlike quality, and not perse resolution or pixels, I think the DVX would be the best choice.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion