The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 70 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 13th, 2006, 12:30 PM   #1036
New Boot

Thanks for the replies

For the time being I plan to shoot events....weddings, classes, workshops and such. In some of the workshops I will be shooting I plan to do a fair amount of close up work. I am encouraged to hear that the XL2 has good reports with low lighting situations. While money is a consideration, I definitely want a camera that I can grow into.
Michael Breez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 01:46 PM   #1037
Inner Circle

For events and weddings, go with the Sony, because of it's low light performance.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #1038
Major Player

Which Camera

Haven't used the Canon, but the Sony PD-170 is really bulletproof. Great in low light, easy to manage, and extremely reliable. For what you are doing, it will be a very good choice.
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 10:20 PM   #1039
Regular Crew

New Camera

All right, I'm a bit conflicted right now. I want to buy a new camera, but I'm not sure what to get. Between these two cameras, which would be a better buy:

Panasonic DVX100A: Has the benefit of 24p. 1/3" image sensors.

or

JVC DV5000U: No progressive. Not native widescreen (neither is DVX100). Has 1/2" image sensors. Looks more "professional".

I know a lot of you will ask what I'm using it for specifically. I would have to say that I would use it mostly for experimental short films. I would also like to pick up some freelance work on the side for extra income.

Any suggestions?

-Matt
Matthew Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 10:26 PM   #1040
Regular Crew

Even though I have an Xl2, I would suggest the DVX100A in your case. I've used the JVC and have never been impressed with it. The DVX is a great camera. You'll love the 24p.
Joe Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 10:50 PM   #1041
Major Player

The JVC is in a higher price class than the DVX100 (or the XL2 for that matter). I've never actually used it, but larger sensors generally have better low light performace. You'll also need to consider the cost of a lens and tapes which will cost more than they would for a miniDV camera.
I've used both the DVX100 and the XL2 and I think they're both awesome cameras - the DVX100 for its compact size and excellent manual lens, and the XL2 for real 16:9 and unmatched telephoto reach. Pick the camera that suits your needs better, image quality between these 2 cameras is very similar. Like I mentioned, if the JVC is still an option, I think it would be better because of the larger sensors.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 11:00 PM   #1042
Regular Crew

The thing with the JVC is, I found a used (it was used as a presentation model) camera for a pretty decent price, and it comes with a 14x lens. And yeah, the 1/2" sensors really appealed to me. Also, about the tapes, this particular model accepts both standard DV and miniDV. And, I was looking at some of the tech specs, it looks like the JVC offers 800 lines of horizontal resolution compared to the 500 lines that the DVX offers. It just seems that the JVC model is in an entirely different league than the DVX. All the reviews I've read on the DV5000 have been entirely positive.

-Matt
Matthew Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 12:12 AM   #1043
Inner Circle

To the best of my knowledge, the DV5000 is basically in the next league up from a DVX100. You wouldn't get progressive shooting, image stabilization or auto focus from the JVC, but you should get a higher quality image (1/2" CCDs, options for much better lenses, and probably quite a few more manual control options for image acquisition).
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 12:19 AM   #1044
Regular Crew

I thought the JVC does shoot progressive?

I'm using one currently at my university and we have to edit and export using progressive settings.

Correct me if I'm wrong? But other than that, the JVC's are nice, a little heavy after a while but overall good image. You can see some of the video of it at www.aggieblvd.net/videos/TheParty.wmv

All shot with the JVC (and compressed).
Old March 1st, 2006, 01:23 AM   #1045
Inner Circle

The DV5000 is a real straight forward, high quality, SD 4:3 60i camera. The HD100 shoots progressive (HDV).
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 05:49 PM   #1046
Regular Crew

what camcorder do you advise me to buy.....

i am looking for a cam under $2000 that is both great for shooting a movie, and also great for shooting at night. The AG-DVX-100 and the Sony VX2000/2100 arwe the ones im considering...
Sean Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 07:57 AM   #1047
New Boot

Backpacking Europe. $4000-6000 CAD for camera. What to get?

Hello Everyone, Thanks in advance for your advice on this subject.

I'm leaving for London on April 24 for a 4 month backpacking trip around Europe. When I get back I hope that I'll be accepted into the Film and TV - Broadcast program at BCIT in Vancouver, BC.

I'm basically at a loss of what video camera I should get. When I was going to purchase a prosumer DV camera a couple years ago there weren't as many models out there and things seem much more complex now!

I've been looking at the Sony HDR-FX1 for the fact that it's HD, but I haven't been keeping up with other HDV models so maybe there's something better? I have a 27" WS LCD so I've learned the joys of HD content.

But then there's the option of buying an SD camera that does good WS footage... Like a Panasonic dvx100?

Or I just buy some $400-1000 consumer DV camera and use that and save the money for a better HDV camera down the road when I'm at school.

Like I said, I don't really know what to get and time is running out to get the camera into my hands! I really like the idea of shooting my travels in HD, but if the quality is bad( for the cameras in budget range ) I guess I could settle for something else and save some money. I live in a remote community right now so there really isn't an option to play with any video cameras in the $1500-6000 range....

Thanks again for your help!
-Paul Alberts

Last edited by Paul Alberts; March 6th, 2006 at 09:18 PM.
Paul Alberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #1048
Major Player

Hey Paul, good to see another B.C'er wanting to get into film production. My 2 cents would be for you to purchase a smaller consumer camera, something that u can easily carry around Europe, ESPECIALLY if you're backpacking.. you wouldn't want a bulky cam nor would u want something that's THAT expensive in your backpack, believe you me.

Whether HD or SD, if you have compelling enough footage from your backpacking travels, the format wouldn't matter.. sounds like a fun time so i reckon any small SD consumer cam would suffice.. maybe if you have the coin to spare, get one of those 3 CCD panasonic models- otherwise i'd save my $ and get the SOny HD or the Panny HD down the road.

Either way, have fun and looking forward to seeing yer footage.

Cheers
Old March 6th, 2006, 02:53 PM   #1049
Major Player

Paul,

If compact is what you want, and would like high def, check out Sony's new compact HD camcorder HDR-HC1. I saw it at Circuit City and was blown away by its form factor and size. Don't know much about its performance, but it's worth a look:

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...ycam_Camcorder

Kevin
Kevin Janisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 03:12 PM   #1050
Inner Circle

Ditto what Kevin said about the HC1, or the more professional A1U. Most DV cameras can't shoot true widescreen video, and they obviously don't offer the opportunity to produce HD output. With HDV you can shoot one format and deliver your choice of HD, widescreen SD or 4x3 SD output, and have it look good in all of those outputs. Start with something like an HC1 and you can add an FX1 or better later to have a two-camera HD setup; buy a DV camera and you're stuck 50 years in the past.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion