The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 73 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 22nd, 2006, 08:01 PM   #1081
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info, guys :)
Mel Abdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 10:07 PM   #1082
Regular Crew

Dvc30!

Get the DVC30 it's a steal at the price right now!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

And there is a $200 rebate from Panasonic.

Last edited by Boyd Ostroff; April 23rd, 2006 at 03:22 AM. Reason: removed non-sponsor link and replaced with B&H link
Salil Sundresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 07:52 PM   #1083
Regular Crew

I use both the DVC7 and DVC 30 at uni. While the DVC30 is smaller (looks like an oversized palmcorder), I reckon its much nicer both ergonomically and functionally to use than the DVC7. The design of the DVC7 is actually very unergonomic IMO, but thats prob just to do with the shape of my head/shoulders?!
Josef Heks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 10:21 PM   #1084
Inner Circle

The HC1 is a fun little camera which can take decent HD/SD video and pretty good still photos; other than not looking very imposing it's arguably a good choice in your price range. Otherwise the Canon GL2 might be worth a look, or a used Sony VX2000.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #1085
New Boot

Fishing Show Camera

I have a friend who is looking for a smaller camera that has enough capability to capture footage that will be aired nationally. It would also need the ability to have a wireless mic set-up on it.

Any recommendations?

Also, can anyone recommend a wireless mic set-up and brand? What would you need for a camera like this?
Michael Littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 07:43 PM   #1086
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Littlejohn
Any recommendations?
Mike how much time do you have? I use both an FX1 and a Z1, a Sony wireless lav(s) only because the batteries last all day, an Audio Technica shotgun with a "dead cat" windscreen. Toss in a tripod, a Kenyon Labs stabilizer, Merlin Steadicam, and a few parts I know I'm missing and you got the gear you need.

Jim
Jim Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 03:41 PM   #1087
New Boot

Advice on which camcorder to purchase

Hi everyone,
I'm pretty new to this forum, and I have a few questions for you. I work for a glass school doing multiple things, but most relevant, I spent the past winter starting to digitize their immense (over 1000 tapes) video collection into a digital format. All the masters are currently Hi8 tapes. Every year the collection grows by around 36 or so tapes.

I have separated the tapes into separate clips and compressed them to Mpeg-4 format and they are stored on a local server and are searchable through an xml-based database I set wrote in flash.

So now to get to the point, the school is looking to purchase 1 or 2 new camcorders for future use, as their current ones are getting a bit beat up now. They are quite old. So I am writing to ask for advice as you all will know much better than I what would be best. Any direction would be helpful. The budget is likely around $2000 for 2 camcorders, however, I could propose spending more if you think it would be worthwhile.

Things that should effect the decision are ease of use (Not everyone who uses the cameras would necessarily be well-versed in video-camera use), as well as battery life (They would need to be able to go to different parts on campus). Obviously the better the quality of the footage, the better it will be as there is potential for using some footage in promotional materials. I imagine 3-CCD would be the best bet and in the price range. Would it be worthwhile going for HDV?

Also, as the footage will eventually be fully digitized and stored on hard drives, speed of encoding and transfer may be a factor.

Again, any help, advice, direction you can give to me will be much appreciated.

thanks very much,
iLan
Ilan Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 04:14 PM   #1088
Inner Circle

Sony A1 is their proline HDV, that can shoot in both HDV and Standard Definition. You can purchase it at B&H Photo for about $2,000 after rebate. That's only for one camera. It is a single chip HDV camera, but has been well accepted, and if your people are still using Hi8, they will be astounded at the quality.

If you are staying in the SD DV level (non HDV), but want to stay in 3 chip, Panasonic GS 400 can be bought for under $1,000 apiece. I don't think Sony is offering anything in 3 chip under $1 k at this point.

The Sony DCRTRV950 is a single chip camera you might want to consider for around $ 1,000.

The Canon GL2's are great 3 chippers but run somewhere around the A1.

The Sony VX2100 is a great 3 chipper, and will handle all the needs you have indicated, but again, this is getting in to the 2k and above price range for each.

These are one I am most familiar with, but I have no doubt others will be recommended by other members.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 04:21 PM   #1089
New Boot

Thanks for your input.

I will look into those cameras.

I do have another question. Would someone be able to explain the benefits of a 3-chip camera over a 1-chip camera to me? Is the difference very noticeable?

Also, are HDV tapes quite a bit more expensive? Going through 36 or so in a year, that can add up as well.

Thanks very much,
iLan
Ilan Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 04:35 PM   #1090
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilan Epstein
Thanks for your input.

I will look into those cameras.

I do have another question. Would someone be able to explain the benefits of a 3-chip camera over a 1-chip camera to me? Is the difference very noticeable?

Also, are HDV tapes quite a bit more expensive? Going through 36 or so in a year, that can add up as well.

Thanks very much,
iLan
Three Chippers will give a fuller richer color, and more resolution, over a single chip camera. Essentially, there is more information for the encoder to work with to provide the ultimate picture.

As to tape, Sony HDV uses the same tape as DV cameras, so there isn't much difference. There are those that by the specially labled HDV tapes, for a lot more, and you will find a lot of people swearing by that. So your tapes would run from $4.00 to $20.00 depending on who you want to believe. I have a Sony FX1 HDV, and I have used $4.00 tapes without having drop outs. One important thing that seems to be a common theme on the tapes issues is to try to use the same tape. Different manufacturers have dry or wet lubricants, and combining the two can create dirty heads. There are head cleaning tapes, but the less you use those, the better.
Old May 4th, 2006, 07:13 AM   #1091
Inner Circle

Entry level pro camera setup

I've lined up some good paying jobs for videoing seminars for local access tv and some dance recitals and i was thinking of getting a shoulder eng pro camera with 1/2 chip and dvcam capability. I was told that you get far fewer dropouts and better image quality with dvcam and if you want to be taken seriously you have to be at least be using that format.

Can anyone give me advice for a good entry level eng camera in $5,000-8,000 range? Am I making a bad decision putting money into a SD camera with HD entering the market? Right now none of my type of clients want HD but with such a larger purchase I'm thinking of the future (5 yr time frame).
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 07:27 AM   #1092
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofran
I've lined up some good paying jobs for videoing seminars for local access tv and some dance recitals and i was thinking of getting a shoulder eng pro camera with 1/2 chip and dvcam capability. I was told that you get far fewer dropouts and better image quality with dvcam and if you want to be taken seriously you have to be at least be using that format.

Can anyone give me advice for a good entry level eng camera in $5,000-8,000 range? Am I making a bad decision putting money into a SD camera with HD entering the market? Right now none of my type of clients want HD but with such a larger purchase I'm thinking of the future (5 yr time frame).
Hi Pete,

There are a couple of shoulder mounted Sony cameras that would fit into that budget and shoot DVCAM format. You DO run less risk of dropout with DVCAM and you do get locked audio with DVCAM. However, you DO NOT get better image quality because DVCAM is the same as mini-DV in that it is compressed 5:1 and has 4:1:1 chroma sampling. The other advantage to DVCAM if the camera supports it would be to use the full size DVCAM tapes.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 07:28 AM   #1093
Capt. Quirk

In that price range, you have the Canon XL2, the JVC HD100, and a few other miniDV and HDV cams. Sony also has a few ENG cams in that range, but i really know nothing about them. Check out what B&H has
www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=search&Q=&a=228_1434&mnp=0.0&mxp=0.0&shs=&ci=1881&ac=&Submit.x=9&Submit.y=12&Submit=Go"
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:50 AM   #1094
Inner Circle

I looked on B&H and found a Sony DSR-400L $7,500

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Greg: so ur saying the tape wouldn't make a difference but I'd assume with the bigger chip and better lense DVcam tape wouldn't limit image quality

Keith: I don't want mini-DVcam because the length of the tape is too short in that mode, I've also heard that DV full size tapes are better.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 09:35 AM   #1095
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofran

Shoot HD, edit HD, then scale to SD. IMHO spending money on SD cams right now is short-sighted. A bit like when people bought new VHS players -even though thier local Blockbuster had 2 newly expanded wall racks of DVDs. Can you see the writing on the wall? Aquisition in SD is almost DEAD.

I'm a wedding videographer and for the first time last week a bride, without any prompting, asked me about high definition. I almost fell off my chair. I meet with 40-50 per year and last week was the first time it ever happened. Times are a changin'.

I think your 5 year time frame is too long. As some other people have mentioned in other threads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
SD will be slow in dying for consumer delivery, but fast to die in acquisition. Give it a few years. It'll all be HD at one level or another.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion