The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 76 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 12th, 2006, 08:46 PM   #1126
Major Player

Chad,

I hope you're checking out the comprehensive reviews at http://www.camcorderinfo.com/ Check out the GS500 and compare. It's a little more expensive, but it's 3CCD and has one of the best imaging systems ever in a consumer camcorder. Lacks a mic in jack, though.

Josh
Joshua Provost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 08:50 PM   #1127
Major Player

I got a TRV50 off ebay for $250!!! Perfect working condition. (Worth $1000+)

I only needed it for the flip-out LCD to replace the faulty one on my PDX10. (Buying a replacement LCD was going to be about $400!)

So, sometimes, it pays to keep an eye on ebay auctions.

Just a thought....
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 10:13 PM   #1128
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Williams
That's funny Chad, because your new "bit more" budget is actually double your "if justified" budget :)

Anyway, the GL2 is a very nice camcorder indeed. The only drawback to the GL2 for me is that it does not shoot native 16:9 (even the lowly $400 Optura does that now). This stems from the fact that its just a very old model now and came out when native 16:9 was pretty much unheard of in consumer cams. You know, if you can live with a 4:3 cam then you could actually look at XL1 or possibly even XL1s used in the 2 grand range. You'll definitely look like a pro to the average joe if you've got one of those.

Now, if you REALLY want to get into some hobby short film type stuff, you might want to up your budget even a "bit more" and look at a used Panasonic DVX100. You can use it on typical paying gigs like weddings and shoot 60i, then go for 24P when working on your hobby projects. Caveat, its also 4:3, but otherwise a really nice camcorder.

But wait, there's more! You could invest $2500 into a Sony A1U HDV cam (B&H price). It comes with a $500 rebate that puts you at 2K. You'll have very good manual controls, XLR mic inputs and a pretty good HD picture. This is a nice cam and probably the route I'd go if I had the money.

Of course you can go with its cheaper cousin, the HC1 for about $1350 at B&H. Still a very nice HD picture and solid manual controls. If I had $1500 and needed a cam right now, this is the one I'd get.

Hmm.. you know my honest opinion though, is still to recommend the Optura 50. At $400 its just so cheap that you can invest in other items like a quality tripod, a good mic or two and some lights. Then learn proper framing, lighting and technique with the Optura. Give it 6-12 months and there will undoubtedly be more and better HD cameras to choose from. At that point, start shopping around again if you're still serious about video. Best part is, you'll be able to put all your funds into the cam at that point, because your accessories (tripod, mics, etc..) will move right on over to the new cam. And you still have your little Optura as a backup or B cam. Heck, use it on your short film products as audio aquisition.

End of rambling.

www.philipwilliams.com
Thanks again for the recommendations and keeping me on track. I can sometimes get all wrapped up in things and end up spending way too much :)

I decided I am going to go ahead and get the Optura 50 from B&H. I would actually like to film a project this weekend, so I need to order ASAP to get it here, but...if someone could recommend the following I would greatly appreciate it.

I would like to get:

- Shotgun/Boom Mic (very important)
- Tripod w/ Controls (if they make one)
- Light Meter (if necessary)
- Second battery (how in the brand 'Impact' that B&H sells?)
- Wide Angle Lens (how is the Canon one?)
- Lighting (whats a good cheap light I can use...1 or 2)?
- Anything else you think I may need (I figure a cleaning kit, case, UV filter, etc)

Please respond ASAP as I am waiting to order...thanks everyone! Especially Philip...lol...

Last edited by Chad Keck; June 12th, 2006 at 11:08 PM.
Chad Keck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 06:34 AM   #1129
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Keck
- Shotgun/Boom Mic (very important)
For a nice starter mic...I like the Audio Technica ATR55 at $50.

Quote:
- Tripod w/ Controls (if they make one)
Tripod, something solid and fluid head that gives you nice resistance and has some meat to it. This is a good place to spend a little of your budget.

Quote:
- Light Meter (if necessary)
If you get a cam with zebras, you can normally forgo this expense.

Quote:
- Second battery (how in the brand 'Impact' that B&H sells?)
I've had excellent success with my battery I got from http://www.ebatts.com

Quote:
- Wide Angle Lens (how is the Canon one?)
I've got a Sony Screw-on wide angle for my little JVC GR820 that works like a champ.

Quote:
- Lighting (whats a good cheap light I can use...1 or 2)?
GE Softwhite Flourescent (GE has good quality control, so the temps of the bulbs will be the same) screw in bulbs and ACDelco clamp lights (this brand has clamps that won't fall apart) will run you $15-$20 per fixture. You can get cheap light stands on ebay.

We just finished a 48 hour film last weekend and used a piece of foamcore spray painted shiny silver more than any other piece of lighting gear just about. We used it to bring light from one side of a stage to the other. We had PA's hold it, but you could as easily clamp them with spring clamps from home depot as well.

Quote:
- Anything else you think I may need (I figure a cleaning kit, case, UV filter, etc)
I like a UV filter and Polarizer. And a lens cleaner.
Old June 13th, 2006, 09:06 AM   #1130
New Boot

Cole,

Thank you for the recommendations...a few quick questions:

1) Do you know of a good tripod that has controls on it that can interface with the Optura 50?

2) What do you mean when you say "if you get a cam with zebras"? What are zebras? Does the Optura 50 have them/it?
Chad Keck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 09:28 AM   #1131
Trustee

Quote:
1) Do you know of a good tripod that has controls on it that can interface with the Optura 50?
I think generally, you would get a tripod and then add a controller to it like a varizoom or something. The thing on the camera to look for would be LANC in the spec sheets. That is the protocol the controllers use.

Quote:
2) What do you mean when you say "if you get a cam with zebras"? What are zebras? Does the Optura 50 have them/it?
Zebras are a visual overlay in the view finder that show you areas that are over-exposed. It allows you to see what areas are more brightly lit than others and what's going to tape exposure wise...I find it faster than using a lightmeter, but less precise. I don't know whether the optura has them or not. You can find lightmeters on ebay if it doesn't. Or check your local photgraphy places or B&H Photo online.
Old June 13th, 2006, 07:38 PM   #1132
Major Player

Camera selection predicament

Hi everyone, I am about to buy 5 models of either the Sony DSR-450 or the Panasonic AJ-SDC615VF15CM. I need something thats 2/3" CCD, shoulder mounted obviously, and that can do 16:9... Which model should I go for, the Sony or the Panny, I couldnt' find any strenghts of weaknesses, except the fact that the Sony does 800lines of resolution at 16:9 mode. Please give me some advice... Thanks
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #1133
Major Player

heres the panny: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

and heres the sony:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

any comments welcome!!
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 08:13 AM   #1134
New Boot

First Camera Purchase Questions

I hope you don't mind a question from an innocent bystander! My husband is the film person out of the two of us and we are preparing to purchase his first camera/equipment. I have been following this board as well as dvxuser.com to get an idea of what the best options are in our price range and watching used equipment. We found a deal that we are interested in, but I could really use some feedback.

DVX100A - 8 hours w/3 years left on MACK warranty
Manfrotto 351MVC Tripod (I can't find much feedback on this one)
503 Fluid Head
Tiffen 72mm UV Protector Filter
Audio-Technica AT825 Condenser Microphone
Audio-Technica Camera Shoe Mount Adapter and Low-Profile Universal Shock Mount
XLR cable
Extra Panasonic Mini DV's
Kata R-103 Rucksack
Extra battery

The owner was planning to freelance, but it didn't happen. All of the equipment was purchased at B&H last June. The asking price for the entire package is $3600.

Please give me some feedback on both the equipment and the price. Is there anything missing that we would need to buy right away? Are there any questions I should be asking?

Thanks!
Gretchen Pedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 02:29 PM   #1135
New Boot

Any thoughts on this equipment? Is the price too high? About right?

Have you used any of the equipment? I've read a lot about the 503 head, but I haven't seen anything on the tripod.
Old July 1st, 2006, 02:45 PM   #1136
Inner Circle

I think it's a very good price.
The camera is still a popular camera, you have 3 years of warranty, which is a great bonus, and a good tripod head.
Extra battery always comes in handy.
And you already have a little audio package.

Best regards,
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2006, 09:22 AM   #1137
MPS Digital Studios

I'm a big fan of taking a look at what you need not only now, but in the future. In 7 years, I've owned two cameras, a DV and an HDV. (Incidently, I've owned probably 3 or 4 edit systems.)

Think of the future, as we move into HD, before making your decision. Plus, can the camera do what you need it to, or perhaps do it in post? Can you pay off the camera in 2-3 years or earlier?

Those are my tips.

heath
Old July 2nd, 2006, 11:23 AM   #1138
New Boot

Thanks for the replies.

We wanted a camera that could do 24p and HD is currently out of our budget. I wanted to buy equipment that might outlast the camera - the fluid head, the tripod, the mic (and later the lights). Does it look like this package would accomplish that?

We will be buying all of this with no financing, so there is nothing to pay off as time goes on. For post, we bought a very nice g5 mac last fall and have Final Cut Studio installed.
Old July 2nd, 2006, 11:32 AM   #1139
MPS Digital Studios

Well, here are some good choices:

Overall "budget" HD, but no 24p (you can use www.nattress.com filters or a workflow with 50i to 24p): the Sony HVR-Z1u.

24p HD:

1. JVC HD100 and maybe even the 200.

2. Canon XL H1 (very similar look to the Z1, IMO).

3. Panasonic HVX200.

heath
Old July 3rd, 2006, 05:44 AM   #1140
New Boot

Thanks Heath. I have looked at all the HD cameras and they will put us over our budget. That's one reason we are buying used, so that we can buy more than just the camera. The $3600 is at the top end of what we can afford - we're actually spending more than we planned on, but if it is a good deal then it is worth it to us.

Hopefully, we will be able to move to HD in a few years, but for now the only cameras we are really looking at are the XL2 and the DVX100A/B.
Gretchen Pedley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion