DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/29995-gigantic-camera-should-i-buy-thread.html)

Certified Drunk September 18th, 2002 09:35 PM

Thanks guys, lol on the warranty! I was just standing there filming and the thing just fell apart. honestly

Jeff Donald September 19th, 2002 08:20 AM

Ritz Camera sells an extended warranty that covers water damage. They call it a Damage Protection Plan and it covers all defects and abuses except fire and theft. It's pricey but offers a good value if your putting your camera in harms way. It is available for terms of 1 to 5 years and at the expiration, the plans are yearly renewable. I know of many people who have collected new cameras under the plan.

Jeff

Frank Granovski September 19th, 2002 06:15 PM

Ugh.

Re: "Thanks guys, lol on the warranty! I was just standing there filming and the thing just fell apart. honestly"

Jeff Donald September 19th, 2002 07:18 PM

Frank,

I take it you've had bad luck with the Ritz Camera warranty or your just expressing a personal opinion and not a fact. I doubt you'll find a better warranty in the industry. Ritz is a large merchant and faces it's own problems as such. However, they do try hard and they mean well. Overall they are a positive force in the camera industry. They are not going to provide the level of service that an advanced amateur or professional (such as your self) needs. But they do fill a vital role. As a point of reference they are the largest Nikon dealer in the world and probably the largest Minolta dealer in the world. They didn't get there by providing terrible customer service.

Jeff

Derek Snyder September 20th, 2002 01:14 PM

Can't decide which camera to buy!

Hi all-
I'm looking to buy a camera to do some light DV editing and such for a relatively large church (about 300 persons). Right now I am stuck between the Sony MiniDV camcorders and the JVC MiniDV camcorders. Any advice on which one I should buy? I'm looking for best image quality for under $1000.

Thanks so much!
Derek Snyder

Chris Hurd September 20th, 2002 02:42 PM

If you are going to use the camera seriously, as in recording a church service or some other event, you probably know you'll want to mount it on a tripod. When you do, you'll notice the *biggest* single problem you'll have is making smooth, slow, nice looking zooms. Bending over the camera with your fingers on the zoom rocker is not the way to do it. What you'll want to do is use a remote zoom controller (see www.varizoom.com and similar manufacturers).

The JVC camcorders have no provision for remote zoom and focus control, but all Sony and all Canon DV camcorders do. The controller plugs into the LANC jack on these cameras. Trust me, this is a big deal and if you want my advice, you should base your decision on it.

If you're not going to shoot from a tripod, then maybe it's no big deal. Under $1000 all that really matters is, how does the camera feel in your hands. If you can get down to Manhattan, walk into B&H, the largest camera store in the world, and definitely try before you buy. Personally I think you'll be happier with a Sony or Canon. Hope this helps,

Dylan Couper September 21st, 2002 12:31 AM

If you really want to impress the church-folk, take some of that $1000 and invest in a wireless mic setup so you can pull in some good quality sound. It doesn't matter how nice the picture is if they can't hear what's being spoken.

Since you are going to be staring at the LCD screen for hours on end, I'd also suggest getting the one with the biggest screen.
The vari-zoom controller is a good idea. Being hunched over the camera with your fingers on the zoom rocker is extremly hard on the back after 30 minutes.

Frank Granovski September 21st, 2002 05:17 PM

Consider the Panasonic PV-DV702. Then with the money left over, buy an extra battery, a UV (protective) filter, a cheap protective bag/case (Lowepro Vidcam 2), and a tripod/head.

Stick with 1 brand/type of miniDV tape
(www.dvfreak.com/tape.htm)

Your total would then be about $1000.

www.dvfreak.com/buyersguide.htm

Frank Granovski September 21st, 2002 05:23 PM

Jeff,

I wasn't referring to Ritz. I was referring to this fellow's need for a good warranty because of what he is going to do with a cam. "Ugh" was meant as a response to the dropped cam, an expression.

And thanks for the little bit about Ritz. I'm actually looking for some Nikon odds and ends for my FM2-T. Really. I'll check them out.

Jeff Donald September 21st, 2002 05:33 PM

Sorry Frank, I misunderstood the Ugh. I don't work for Ritz or am related to anyone who does. But they do serve a role in the camera industry. They can move product. In most markets Ritz has what they call a Nikon HQ store which will stock most of the odd ball items. They also have regional warehouses with inventory and they can transfer between stores. If they are ever out of a product they will ship N/C also. However, small items, in stock, are what the smaller merchants can excell at.

Jeff

John Lee November 5th, 2002 01:42 PM

Recommendations for a DV camera

I'm a film student and I have basically no budget to shoot on, but I've done a lot of work with hi-8 cameras and obviously I'm dissappointed with video quality. I primarily use premiere, and I have decided to purchase a miniDV camera to use. I've noticed that most semi-professional users go with the XL1s and the canon GL1 I think, but those models are way above my price range.

What I'm looking for is a miniDV camera for under $1200 with high image quality and decent sound. I'd also like to get a camera that is easy to accessorize, so that in the future (when I can afford it) I may be able to attach a wide angle lense etc. The market is a bit confusing because I don't know much about how these cameras perform in the real world. Some cameras, for instance, boast a higher resolution than others, but others cost more. I'm really looking for best bang for the buck.

I'd appreciate any recommendations you have. Thanks.

Zac Stein November 5th, 2002 05:33 PM

If i was in your shoes, i would be looking for a used sony trv-900. They are really nice cameras, and yield great results, they should fall right into your price range and very easy to find addon parts, and small and light enough to stick a cheap tripod with.

kermie

Adrian Douglas November 5th, 2002 10:58 PM

Or, now that the GL2 is out you might find some GL1's floating around if you look hard enough.

John Lee November 5th, 2002 11:56 PM

Actually, $1200 is a bit too expensive. I've been looking more in the 700-1000 range at new cameras from sony and canon. From what I've seen, there really isn't a triple CCD camera I can afford. It's a pain because I can't scrape enough money together to get a really good DV camera. I'd settle for something like the Sony PC120 or the Canon Optura200, but I'm not sure how good the picture quality on those models is.

Zac Stein November 5th, 2002 11:59 PM

Kurt i know of a PAL trv-900 right here on sale for around $1000 USD, You would have to spend at least another $1000 on sounding it and putting it on a tripod, but it would be a fantastic package.

kermie