The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 81 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 28th, 2006, 01:35 PM   #1201
CTO, CineForm Inc.

All the press releases are happening in about a month. So aren't official launching the camera until then. But they are quietly selling them for feature work for those just can't wait for the full launch. Maybe you would still call it beta, it is more open than that as you can buy in. Not worth posting on HD4Indies yet.
Old October 19th, 2006, 10:22 AM   #1202
Tourist

Need help choseing a camera

Hi all!

I am new here and new to filming. I have a 3CCD Sony cam that is about 4 years old but am ready to move on. I would like to get the best camera money can buy for around $5000. Here are my requirements.

1. Around $5000 or less
2. interchangable lenses
3. must be HD
4. want to be able to record in 24p/24f modes
5. want good options for slow motion filming (or simplified way to do this post prod.)

I'd like to make some short films with that "film" feel. so that is not obvious it looks like tape.
I would like to also easilly be able to film on blue or green screen for adding special effects/other backgrounds etc...

please make whatever recommendations you feel may help and point me in the right direction.

thanks in advance!

~alex
Alexis Delgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 10:39 AM   #1203
Inner Circle

Are interchangeable lenses mandatory? The cheapest HDV cam I'm aware of that has 'em is the Canon XLH1 and it's double your stated budget.
Old October 19th, 2006, 10:43 AM   #1204
Obstreperous Rex

Consider also the JVC GY-HD110U. It's a bit more than $5,000 but less than the Canon XL H1.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 07:05 PM   #1205
New Boot

Help in choosing camera

Hi

I'm an indy filmmaker and after renting for a long time I really need a camera of my own.

I work almost exclusively with a Letus35 adapter which connects to a 58mm filter size and that severely limits my choices. I can step up to 72 or whatever but I guess it's harder to step down.

Another consideration is that I want to use the new HDV technology but don't want to spend too much money. One of those single-chip HDV cams like the HC1 or HC3 would be ideal, but their filter sizes are too small. The FX1 is just too expensive/bulky for my needs.

Can anybody recommend a camera?
Carlos Ferrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 12:26 AM   #1206
Trustee

Check on the Alternative Imaging forums, but I think the Letus35 can be used with the HC1/3.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 07:22 AM   #1207
New Boot

Theoretically it can, but my Letus comes with a 58mm filter adaptor in the back, whereas the HC1 has a 37mm filter mount. I don't think I can step down to that small without some very bad consequences...or can I?
Carlos Ferrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 01:51 AM   #1208
Tourist

Field Producing (and documentary work), withwhat camera?

Hey all,

I'm currently a news producer and my contract runs out in less than two years. I'm itching to move on and do something a bit more creative (my favorite work here is field producing segments).

With that said, I would like to freelance as a field producer living overseas. I'm currently shopping around for a camera to buy that can be used easily enough in the field and powerful enough to shoot mini-documentaries.

The reason why I'm interested in getting a camera as soon as I can is bc I really want to know how to use it well before I move on. I'd like to be able to use it here in my current shop and feel it out.

I'm interested in the Canon XL2. However, I heard the XL2 was poor on the shoulder and top heavy on a tripod. But then, I also heard that it's a tough camera (important in the field) and can shoot tv broadcast and film quality video (another plus in my book as I'd also like to do some documentary work). Cost is also a factor, I don't want to shell out too much, but I'm willing to pay for quality.

Any thoughts?
John Kunza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 02:31 AM   #1209
Inner Circle

My guess is the XL2 will be a serious piece of kit, well known in various countries and able to take the rough with the smooth. But I'm not sure it'll film in NTSC as well as PAL, so if this is important to you (as by the sound of it it should be) then you should look closely at the Sony Z1.

It has less zoom range but has a wonderful top screen, films in HDV should the clients demand it and it has garnered a wonderful reliability reputation with those pros that kick it about.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 02:45 AM   #1210
Major Player

Still some questions:

• Budget? You don't want to shell out to much, so how much is that? Is a XL-H1 to much?

• Delivery options? Do you need SD or HD now and in the future? This answer combined with the budget answer will maybe point you out to a HD cam. Considering the fact that more and more broadcasters are airing HD..
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 03:26 AM   #1211
Tourist

I'm trying to stay under $5,000 right now (quite honestly I'd like to stretch my dollar as far as it can go -- spend around $3k for a used camera and another 2k on gear and such, but then again I don't know how realistic that is). From my discussions with photogs and a friend who works with NBC, American news agencies aren't jumping on the HD bandwagon that quickly. HD would be nice but I don't see it as an absolute necessity right now.
Old October 30th, 2006, 03:33 AM   #1212
Tourist

Also about the pal/ntsc question, I thought nearly all PAL equipment will play back NTSC and a PC doesn't care which version it gets. Am I wrong?
Old October 30th, 2006, 06:19 AM   #1213
Major Player

For example:

A Sony FX 1 : 3150.00
Lowel Light Kit : 1000.00
Sennheiser Wireless set: 500.00
Tripod Manfrotto: 450.00
Petrol bag for cam: 130.00

Makes: 5230.00

The FX1 is a good and reliable cam, for both DV as HDV. And with this everything is brand new, right out of the box with new video heads etc..

About PAL/NTSC: Non linear edit systems do indeed both NTSC and PAL. But if you want to deliver in another format than you've shot you need a converter. You can do that software based with a plugin.
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 06:32 AM   #1214
Tourist

Thanks, btw, where did you get those prices? One thing that worries me about the Sony, and I know this is a semi-easy fix, is the lack of XLR inputs physically attached to the camera. In journalism that's a huge plus being able to plug right into a mult box.
Old October 30th, 2006, 08:46 AM   #1215
Major Player

Just use a cable from RCA to XLR. especially with does multi boxes you really do not need a balanced input. Al the prices are from BH Photo Video.
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion