The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 82 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 2nd, 2006, 10:29 PM   #1216
Regular Crew

If you're seriously planning on shooting overseas and doing this for real you should look into the Z1 over the FX1...if you have two years you'll have more time to build up funds for extra gear...the PAL/NTSC thing in the Z1 makes it a no-brainer for international shooting...

Paul
Paul Cypert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 04:11 PM   #1217
Regular Crew

Which cam for 320x240 footage?

Hello all,

I need to video long meetings for display on the Internet. Meetings last from two to six hours.

Right now my workflow is to

1) Capture the meetings on tape (in DV or HDV)
2) Download the footage to my mac via Final Cut.
3) Divide footage up by meeting agenda item.
4) Compress each section to 320x240 for web display.

I've heard of cameras that will film in 320x240 to hard disk or chip. Seems like that would be a godsend to me. Quality is a low priority as long as the people can be recognized and heard.

And ideas which cameras these are? I'm interested in anything from $200 to $4000...

Your help is appreciated!

--Darin
Old November 8th, 2006, 09:21 PM   #1218
Inner Circle

My Sony DSC-F828 still camera can shoot 640x480 25fps for over 50 minutes on a 4 GB Microdrive. I never tried going lower, but I am sure it'll record a bunch more at a lower resolution, which I know it is capable of doing.
Old November 10th, 2006, 05:48 AM   #1219
Tourist

camera upgrade

We are looking to upgrade the cheap 8mm camcorder we are using in our church sanctuary. 90% of the time it is on a tripod feeding a splitter then to VCR, DVD recorder and projector in the overflow. The light levels are fairly low. My question is, because of the low light levels, are there any advantages to using a "budget pro" camcorder such as the Panasonic AG-DVC20 over a similar priced consumer model. My main concern is the small 1/6" sensors in the Panasonic.
Bert Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 04:55 PM   #1220
New Boot

Advice Needed On Purchasing a HDV Camcorder!!!!!!!!!

Im looking to buy a small HDV camcorder, like the Sony HC3. I wanted to know what other choices are there? And in the price range of $1000-$2000. And is there any example footage of the Sony HDR-HD3?
Thanks.
Tony Corkovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 10:00 PM   #1221
Major Player

What are you going to be using it for? What, if any, requirements do you have for any potential cameras? Some cameras in that price range are the Canon HV10, and the Sony UX-1 and SR-1, which record to DVD and Hard Drives, respectively.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 04:29 PM   #1222
New Boot

well

Well the more professional the better, I'm not going to be using this camera for profit purposes, just my own video for fun. But I still want a camera that can record to a HD, and have HDV.
But out of those couple you listed which would you pick, for quality; image, and device.
Old November 27th, 2006, 07:55 PM   #1223
Major Player

Out of all the consumer HDV camcorders, I would (and did) pick the Sony HC-1, which is now out of production. I like it for it's balance of ease-of-use for family members and manual features for my productions. My second choice would be the Canon HV10. The video quality is amazing, although it's lacking in some of the manual features. However, if you can see yourself enjoying DVD or hard drive storage instead of tapes, take a look at the new AVCHD Sony models, but keep in mind, editing becomes somewhat of a pain if you decide to go that route.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #1224
New Boot

Thanks. And why would editing using a Hard Drive camera be a pain? With my old cameras. I just plug it into my Mac, and the .mov files are there ready to be edited with iMovie. And does the HC1 have better image quality then the new HC3?
Old November 29th, 2006, 08:19 PM   #1225
Regular Crew

For right now I suggest the Sony HVR-A1. It is based on the C1 design, but has XLR audio capability and a few other pro functions which are not part of the C1. You can probably get it for under $2000 factoring in rebates.

An alternative, if you don't need to worry about editing for a few months and can tolerate what AVCHD offers, is the Sony HDR-SR1, a small hard drive cam based on the C3 (better low light than C1). It can hold four hours of material at the best quality setting. The problem with the c3 was the elimimination of the microphone jacks, but they are back on the SR-1.

A problem with the SR-1's AVCHD files is that there is currently no way to edit them in applications like Vegas 7. However, it was announced that there will be an update in Spring 07 to allow Vegas to import AVCHD files for editing.
Mark Goldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 11:10 AM   #1226
Regular Crew

Looking to buy a camera!!

Hello everyone. Im looking to buy a 3chip camera for short films and things. But i am having one problem. I want to see if i can find somewhere to do a pay as you go instead of paying for it all at once. I know B&H has the bill me later but that doesnt work for me. I have searched all over the net and can't fing anything so i figured i'll post on here and see if anyone can help me. The camera i was looking for is the Panasonic ag-dvc7(i know this is 1 chip),30,60 series. or the canon gl2. If anyone has any information of a web site or anything i can call please let me know. It would be very appreciated. Thanks!!

Derrick Jones..........
Derrick A.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 11:55 AM   #1227
Wrangler

Hi Derrick. If possible I'd suggest separating the financing from the vendor. Get a credit card with terms that work for you, then use it to buy from a reputable dealer - we urge you to use our sponsors: http://www.dvinfo.net/sponsors/

But regardless, don't end up getting caught in some sort of scam or settle for poor service just because a vendor offer a finance plan.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 12:05 PM   #1228
Regular Crew

I have two credit cards but no where near the limit that it would cost to buy a camera

Derrick Jones..........
Derrick A.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 12:53 PM   #1229
Inner Circle

It really sounds like you simply can't afford one then.

Rent, borrow? How did you expect to pay for one?
Old December 2nd, 2006, 01:11 PM   #1230
Regular Crew

I dont have 2 grand to shell out right now. I can save but what im trying to find out if there are some places around that offer these services. I coudl afford it if i waited a few months but i just wanted to see about my options. Is there another way?

Derrick Jones..........
Derrick A.Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion