The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 84 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 5th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #1246
Inner Circle

How much do you lose shooting the DVX in 16:9 Bob? Quite a lot really, which is why Panasonic have a 1.33:1 anamorphic in their accessory list. But before you rush out and spend lots on this lens (and suffer the distorted v'finder image and aberations at each end of the zoom), do try the DVX in its electronic 16:9 mode and see what you think.

Remember the DVX and VX/PD and XL and GL were all designed as 4:3 cameras. Good ones all of them, but they come with 4:3 chips, and if you start using only 3/4 of that chip to extract 16:9, something has to give, and does.

Which partly explains the second-hand prices. As 16:9 chipped camcorders come tumbling out of the manufacturers' doors, 4:3 cameras are worth less every week.

Charles - a word from my experience. I've never had much joy with JVC kit and nor have a lot of my colleagues. In fact I feel rather sorry for the firm, because the latest Hi-Def (720p) machine with interchangeable lenses looks to be a goodie. It's just that Canon and Sony are reaping the benefit of making super-reliable kit in the past, and JVC gets bypassed all too often.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 10:22 AM   #1247
Tourist

Which camera and software?

Currently I photograph sports events(junior high and high school. I use a Canon Mark D 1II, which takes stills at 8 FPS which I sell to parents grandparents, etc.
I use Photoshop CS. However, I am thinking of trying video. Would need one that could do quality 4MP+ stills as well as video and do well with poor lighting that is often found at relatively primitive facilities. Further how much can be done with a capture of a single frame from a video?
Alan Granger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 12:43 PM   #1248
Major Player

I would recommend keeping your still and video camera seperate. No video camera will match your canon still camera in quality especially enlarged. Many video cameras can also tale stills but not at the quality of your Mark D.

As far as taking a still from video, again you are better off with the Mark D.
If your using a DV camera the resolution will only be at 72 Dpi.

Hope this helps.
Jim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 01:23 PM   #1249
New Boot

If you have $17,000 you can get the Red 4K camera. You should have some aqequate stills from that. :O)

But all kidding aside, you're not going to find a DV camera that takes good stills, especially in low light, just like you wouldn't find a digital still camera that takes good video.
Josh Wigginton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 01:34 PM   #1250
Tourist

I don't expect it to do as well as the Canon and would continue to use the Canon, but I saw a Sanyo that advertises 8MP stills. Possibly something like this could augment my business and get videos also? Yeah 72dpi would be hard to work with.
Alan Granger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 10:23 AM   #1251
Major Player

Best camera for 1k?

My son's fourth grade elementary class wants to do a documentary of themselves. Each day one kid plans on taking home the camera and filming their life. We would like to submit the results to a film festival. I have a Canon zr700 but I wouldn't mind a little better image quality. Some of these kids live pretty rough lives and there's a good chance we won't see the camera again so I'd like to keep it around a thousand. Any suggestions?
Matt Buys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 10:51 AM   #1252
Inner Circle

You probably don't need to spend anywhere near a grand. I'd suggest looking at used cameras. The older Canon Opturas come to mind (Optura 10 or 20 perhaps).
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 10:54 AM   #1253
Inner Circle

You could also get a used Panasonic DVC7, in good condition, for well under a grand. It's a fairly simple to operate camera, and the kids would feel like they were using "pro" equipment.
Old February 16th, 2007, 10:59 AM   #1254
Inner Circle

Also look at Panasonic 3 chip cameras. GS400, 500, 320, 150, etc.

Panasonic also has a shoulder pro looking camera: AG DVC7

Check it out here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
Old February 16th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #1255
Inner Circle

Another alternative would be a Sony TRV70. The quality is pretty close to what you get from a GS400, but used prices are considerably lower. The downside to a TRV70, with kids, would be the potential for losing the stylus (tie it on a string to the camera!).
Old February 16th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #1256
Major Player

Video Camera Reviews

Hi Matt,

Rather than going for a quickie recommendation with each of our favorites, here's an excellent site with comprehensive reviews:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/

This will not only highlight the advantages of each camera - it's hardly fair to say one is unilaterally better than another since each has strengths and weaknesses. The trick is to learn the major tradeoffs, consider your son's needs, and then find the best match at a fair price.

Happy hunting, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 08:43 AM   #1257
Major Player

Camera upgrade from Pana GS250s, but which one??

I love my little Panasonics, they take surprizingly nice video, but I'm ready to step it up a notch.

What I know:
I want to stick with DV, I'm not prepared to go HD for a couple of years.
I like working in 16:9 with the GS250s and I'd like to continue with close or better picture quality.
Funds are flexible, but limited. $1200-$1800 would be nice, could possible go to $2400.
Used is OK.
24P would be nice, but not a show stopper.

I've searched and researched, read everything I could find, here and elsewhere and I'm still not sure what to do....

What I don't know:
Would I be happy with a GL2? They fall in my price range nicely.
A used VX2100?
Should I save and try to find a decent, used DVX100a or b?
Live with the GS250s until I can afford a XL H1? Could be a while.

What I'll use it for:
I don't currently do "movies", but I would like to try.
Mostly, I do drag racing video for on-line and DVD production, which I've had good luck selling to the racers.
I also have my first paying job this summer taping and production an official DVD for a race promoter, (if that matters).
And I'd like to try doing promotional DVDs for racers looking for sponsers.
(Plus the usual vacation/family stuff)

So any advice, tips, help?

I'm so confused,

Bob T.
Old March 5th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #1258
New Boot

Amatuer Film Maker needing advice on DV Camera purchase

Hello, folks! My name is Matt, and I've finally gotten fed up with having to rely on fairly unreliable individuals, or people who want too much control over a project, merely because I lack the proper recording equipment.

As such, I've been putting cash away over the course of a few months and am now looking to purchase my own DV Camera and recording equipment. I have a great editing computer with Adobe Premiere and After Effects. In researching and asking around, I've been suggested the Panasonic AG-DVX100A, but wanted a wider base of opinions... and a friend directed me here.

With a grand total of $3,000 to drop, I'm asking for advice on the best "bang for my buck" for a DV Camera and whatever essentials I would require to store the footage I shoot, and get the footage to my computer system for editing.

Also, in researching for a place to order my equipment, many seem to be scams or selling refurbished equipment (both untrustworthy and lacking the official warranty). What sites/companies would you suggest I order from?

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Matt Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 06:10 PM   #1259
Inner Circle

DVInfo recommends use of their sponsers, as they are tested an reliable.

Click "Sponsors" in the right corner. Also, one of the most extensive lines of equipment is found at B&H Photo. I use their site for a resource for what available out there.

As far as what camera to get, you are asking a loaded question. Everyone out here has a preference. You need to state what you are looking for more specifically, with :

1. What formats: DV, HDV, 24p, 25p, 60i, NTSC, PAL, ??

2. What is ultimate distribution: Web, film out, digital projection, etc., etc...

3. Do you have a brand peference....

Give people a better idea of where you want to go, and you will get a lot of help here :)
Old March 5th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #1260
Trustee

I own an XL1s and love it, Other's have a Panasonic DVX100a and love it. Both are quite good. I'd like to move to the XL2, but that costs more money. Depending what kind of Microphone equipment you have access to, you will need to consider the input mechanisms (DVX comes with XLR inputs, XL's come with 3.5mm jacks + line level RCA). You can get the MA100 or MA200 by canon as XLR inputs for the XL series as well.

If you're looking for HD, Canon, JVC, Sony and Panasonic all have units in your price range...not top end stuff certainly, but you'll be able to get a decent camera for that price.

There is tons of footage on this board to look at in the appropriate forums.

Find someone who has one locally for you and ask to try it out, or even just to see it to see how it feels and how the controls are laid out and if that fits what you are looking for.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion