The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 6th, 2002, 12:11 AM   #121
Trustee

Kermie
I think he could buy a Beach Tec XLR adapter, a Sennheiser K6/ME66 and a decent manfrotto tripod for under $800. Using an unbalanced adapter with the ME66 would cut $150 off the figure. So far as a cheaper mic I don't know how well the unbalanced shotgun mics work. (Like the MKE300) Going to an unbalanced MKE300D he could buy the mic and pod for under $400.

We are talking no budget here.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2002, 12:17 AM   #122
Major Player

Bryan,

yeah i was being generous because things always end up costing more than you think heh heh.

kermie
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2002, 01:29 AM   #123
Wrangler

I'd put in some overtime wherever you work and save up the money to buy a used GL1. If $1000 is your max, an extra $300 saved up will make a big difference on a GL1 instead of buying a single chip cam.
Otherwise, if it's a definite "no", then I'd look for a used Optura Pi. From what Chris Hurd says, it's the best single chip miniDV camera ever (more or less). Price in the $500-$900 range.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2002, 02:21 AM   #124
Outer Circle

Re: "then I'd look for a used Optura Pi. From what Chris Hurd says, it's the best single chip miniDV camera ever (more or less)."

I 2nd that. Here are some other good ones:

1) Canon Elura (original)
2) Sony TRV20
3) Sony TRV30
4) JVC DVL9500U
5) JVC DVL9800U
6) Panasonic PV-DV601
7) Sony TRV17
8) Sony PC9
9) Canon Optura 100MC
10) Canon Optura (original)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2002, 12:08 PM   #125
Regular Crew

If the quality is substantially better, I may just work a bit harder and try to scrounge up the cash for a GL1. I've seen them going for around 1100 on ebay. I'm sure there is plenty of stuff lying around my room that I can just sell for the extra money. Thanks for all of your advice.
John Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2002, 11:26 AM   #126
Major Player

I like Frank's list, but I prefer new cams so I would lean toward the Sony line for that range, TRV30, 50 etc. Although the TRV50 is probably around $1200.
Keith Luken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2002, 12:17 PM   #127
Wrangler

Any 3-chipper will do well. Most 3-chippers also have a decent set of optics ahead of the CCDs, and it takes glass to make a really good image.

On single chippers you want to make sure that you have decent access to the manual controls. Most auto settings are worth a hill of beans even on a 3-chipper!

I agree a used TRV900 would be an excellent choice (make sure its OK before you buy). Later you will need to get accessories like tripod and stuff.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2002, 01:31 AM   #128
Wrangler

which miniDV cam

OK, I'm going to buy a miniDV cam to use as a deck, since it looks like my XL1's DV ports are toast. :P

Requirements:
Cheap (under $1000cdn)
Small-ish, doesn't have to be tiny.
Analogue in/out (and of course DV in/out)
Some sort of night mode would be nice.

Suggestions?
Old December 21st, 2002, 04:05 AM   #129
Outer Circle

Sony TRV18? TRV25? Canon ZR40?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2002, 07:52 AM   #130
Inner Circle

Hmmm,
Depending on where you are... at my local Fry's here in Houston - They are selling a Sharp MinidDV cam for 299. You know, the one that has the big screen on the back, and no viewfinder. Perfect for an extra deck. Not an especially fancy cam though.

I just did a comparison shop for a friend, needed to buy a small cam like the one you describe. Under 800 dollars. I narrowed it down to the Canon z50 and the Sony tr27. Both had "pass through" capabilities. The Canon had a stronger optical Zoom, the Sony a larger lcd... a few other differences but those were pretty good cams for the price.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2002, 08:21 AM   #131
Warden

I've used many of the small Canon's going back to the original Optura and ZR. They have always performed reliably under a variety of conditions. Canon also has a better new camera warranty than Sony.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2002, 11:31 AM   #132
Wrangler

I'd probably prefer to stick with Canon, if prices are all similar. The cheapest miniDV cam I've seen here is a Samsung, which is only about $120 less than the cheapest Canon.
Do all of the Canon's have analogue in? I want to transfer old 8mm tapes from my old cam to miniDV so I can get them on my computer.
Old December 21st, 2002, 11:53 AM   #133
Warden

I believe all the new models do. I know the ZR , ZR 10 didn't. The ZR 20, 30 series I don't remember. The 40's and 50's do have analog in.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2003, 10:53 AM   #134
Major Player

DV camcorder recommendation

Ok, so I thought I had it all planned out. I've managed to get a new computer (dell 2.4 gigahertz, 1 gig rdram, 150 gig hd, great video card, great sound card) and feel pretty comfortable with premiere 6.5 and the next step was buying a mid-grade camcorder. So I was set on the Sony TRV-27 which is a 1 megapixel deal with 3.5 inch screen ($799) and wanted to get the four year warranty (because I'm big on not having to worry if something is going to go bad and cost me big bucks). But now, the new model is coming out in February, the TRV-33 that list price is $800, the camcorder is smaller, has a few more pixels, everything is touch panel LCD (2.5 inch) and also has 16:9 mode that isnt just bars, but it's still not the real deal obviously. So this just leads me to rethink the whole selection process. I am in the 800 dollar range, and need a good camcorder to shoot shorts and hopefully build a reel to get into a respectable film school after I graduate and get things together(around 1.5 yrs from now). I really don't care about how small the camcorder is but want the quality of DV. Should I stick with Sony? Should I wait for the new models to come out? Any feedback is welcome! Thanks guys!
Bryan Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2003, 11:24 AM   #135
Wrangler

(flame suit ON)
I hate Sony consumer products. With the exception of my miniDisc player, neither I, nor my immediate family have ever owned a Sony product that has not given us trouble. I will never buy another Sony consumer level product again.
(flame suit OFF)
Having said that, I have to point out that it doesn't matter which camcorder you buy. Comperable models all put out a similar picture, the real consideration is ergonomics. Buy whichever feels best in your hands. I recently hand tested all the current batch of single CCD cameras to use as a "fun" camera and DV deck, and ended up with a Canon ZR40. It's very small, but not tiny. Fits in my palm nicely, is well featured, and cost in the $500us range.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion