The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 90 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 20th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #1336
Major Player

I think you have things in the right perspective. Good lighting will make a far better picture than resolution alone. A good tripod will make smoother moves than a cheap tripod with a lot of resolution. And you remembered something I totally blanked on - the upgrade to HD computing ain't exactly cheap, esp. with HDV.

Right now, on broadcast TV there isn't a ton of true HD programming. There's a lot of uprezzed digibeta, etc... and fewer HD channels than content. And even still - content rules. And HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray? I enjoy my gadgets as much as the next guy, but even I'm sitting on the sidelines of this. I'll keep buying my SD DVD's until I know that the machine I buy won't be totally mothballed before I can get discs for it.

Get a second hand SD camera and milk everything you can out of it. It'll probably last you 2-3 years, at which point the camera will probably die, and HD cameras will be in a generation where the kinks are worked out. If you've always loved the XL-2, there are a few for sale on the classifieds here, a couple with the manual lenses. Excellent tools, some of the best bang for your buck available in SD, especially at the prices people are trying to get rid of em!
Jaron Berman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 08:26 PM   #1337
New Boot

Thanks to everyone that responded.

What I am getting from all of this is that it is probably more important to surround my camera with good gear (lights, microphone, tripod, etc.) than the exact camcorder model.

I definitely will not need HD and will avoid that route.

Thanks again. If anyone still wants to weigh in on a certain camera model, I'd love to hear it but my budget will definitely be under $2500.
Chris Ickes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 06:02 PM   #1338
Regular Crew

Best HD handheld camera can you recommend

Hello

I have the FX1 but want a small handheld for carrying around as most know the FX1 is pretty big for everyday use

Want another HD camera that is cheaper then the FX1 and will give the same sharp HD pictures as the FX1 does so I can match them in when editing

Make doesn’t really matter as long as it’s top quality HD pictures and can be mixed in with my FX1 footage on the timeline

Something that also records onto tape rather then built in hard drive

Thank you for the help
Jim Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:09 PM   #1339
Inner Circle

Hi Jim.......

Guess that would be the Canon HV20 then. Ticks all the boxes, has the cutest little "ding" when you power it up and seconds as a dinky paperweight when not in use to boot.

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 01:54 AM   #1340
Inner Circle

I have FX1, and agree that the Hv20 is a great companion camera for it. Actually will be able to match up with FX1 if you handle things right, and shoot both in 60i. Be forewarned, you will find yourself picking the HV20 up more and more, and the FX1 less.... It really has stunning image capability.
Old May 29th, 2007, 04:51 AM   #1341
Regular Crew

£2000 ($4000) to spend on camera - appreciate your ideas

I have about £2000 ($4000) to spend on a new/used camera and would really appreciate some input from forum members.

I currently have a Canon XM2 (GL2) which is excellent and will be kept as a backup/second camera, however I do need something a little more professional.

My main requirements are:

- Will be used mainly for interview/documentary work
- Prefer interchangeable lenses
- Need progressive option as most work is to be used on the web
- Shoulder mounted option is required
- HD is not essential at this stage

I was really aiming to get a JVC GY-HD110 but this is currently out of my price range. I have been considering second hand including...

Panasonic AG-DVC200E - http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/publi...nic_ag-dvc200e

JVC DV500 - http://www.bblist.co.uk/database/ind...tail=;daysnew=

Panasonic AJ-D400E - http://www.bblist.co.uk/database/ind...tail=;daysnew=

Sony DSR-300PK - http://www.proav.co.uk/product_info....aaa3b6aa813d5e

I would appreciate any feedback on my suggestions and maybe some other alternatives if you can. If anybody knows any other good UK used equipment web sites please post them.

Failing that I will keep saving for the 110...

Many thanks
Alex Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 07:05 AM   #1342
Regular Crew

A few more second hand options

Sony DSR-250P - http://www.mandy.com/1/class3.cfm?v=22279753

Panasonic AG DVC-200 - http://www.mandy.com/1/class3.cfm?v=22140625
Old May 30th, 2007, 01:01 AM   #1343
Regular Crew

Sorry I guess I have posted a much asked question.

Anyway I think I have now narrowed it down to either the Panasonic AG-DVC200E or the JVC DV500. I believe the 1/2" chips have to be worth it for a little extra DOF.

I realise that neither of these cameras are progressive. Does anyone have any comments on de-interlacing vs progressive for the web?

Of course if anyone has any alternative cameras that I might consider I am very interested.

Alex
Old May 30th, 2007, 06:35 AM   #1344
Inner Circle

There are some smart deinterlacers out there, that project movement and compensate for that. You say you will be working for the web, so I assume you will resize your video to something like 360x240 - at that resolution you will be perfectly fine no matter what you used for filming. So concentrate on your main format and make sure the camera suits your needs for that.
Old May 30th, 2007, 06:51 AM   #1345
Regular Crew

Hi Ervin,

Thanks for your response.

I am now down to choosing between:

New @ £3K - JVC GYHD110 (which I don't actually have the money for)

Pro's - New, full warranty, extra features, has battery

Con's - 1/3" chip, more expensive, will lose value quicker?, no tripod plate

Used @ £2k - Panasonic AGDVC200 (which I can afford - considering http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/publi...nic_ag-dvc200e)

Pro's - 1/2" chips, comes with bag , rain cover, tripod plate, should hold value better than new item?

Con's - doesn't come with batteries, only get 90 day warranty, not as upto date as JVC, second hand

now I am not sure which way to go...

Alex
Old June 3rd, 2007, 06:22 AM   #1346
Major Player

advice on camera for in aircraft cockpit shots

Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help with advice on a camera that I can use to mount on the dash of a small aircraft to take vision of passengers reaction while taking a joy flight. I have recently bought a triple chip Panasonic which records on DVD but it keeps stopping. The only thing I can think of is because of the vibration. Any ideas? It is great except for the stopping. As a budget i didnt want to spend much more than $1000.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 06:49 AM   #1347
Regular Crew

You might consider the Sony DCR-HC96. It is a MiniDV and has a 1/3 inch chip so the low light performance is not bad. It also had a RGB primary colour filter so in decent light the picture is pretty good. It is reasonably compact as well. You can also purchase a Sony highgrade wideangle lens for it.

It also takes 3.3 megapixel images.

It is not HD though and with your budget that is probably something you could consider.
Curt Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 09:18 AM   #1348
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Talbot View Post
You might consider the Sony DCR-HC96. It is a MiniDV and has a 1/3 inch chip so the low light performance is not bad. It also had a RGB primary colour filter so in decent light the picture is pretty good. It is reasonably compact as well. You can also purchase a Sony highgrade wideangle lens for it.

It also takes 3.3 megapixel images.

It is not HD though and with your budget that is probably something you could consider.
Thanks Curt,
I need the camera to take 16.9 and SD is fine as it has to match other SD footage for cutaways etc. Have you had any experience with cameras recording on disc. It keeps shutting itself off and i feel the vibration must be doing it. Also the $1000 I mention is A$ not US.

Last edited by Dennis Robinson; June 3rd, 2007 at 09:19 AM. Reason: add
Dennis Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 11:58 AM   #1349
Regular Crew

The only experience I have had with cameras that record on mini DVDs is editing which was a pain both in getting the footage onto my machine and editing as well (I edit on Sony Vegas).

I have a DCR90 and it has a wide screen option with the press of a button. I assume the newer DCR96 has the same feature. Whether it is 'true 16:9' I will leave for others to answer.
Curt Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 02:05 AM   #1350
Major Player

Used pro SD camera or new prosumer HD camera?

Hey Guys,

Just after some opinions. A whole bunch of old broadcast cameras (betacam SP, DVcam) have popped up on ebay (Australian version) recently, at very competitive prices to the new prosumer HDV cameras.

I've also notice that on the program for a local film festival (St. Kilda Film Festival) the majority of the films have been shot on Betacam SP - and from what I can see they look considerably more professional and film-like than most of what I've seen from HDV cameras. Is that simply the result of larger 1/2" and 2/3" sensors regardless of the resolution?

I understand the old-tech/new-tech argument. It's just that to my eye, the old pro cameras seem to produce more professional looking images than the new prosumer cameras (please correct me if I'm wrong on this, the best camera I've been able to work with thus far is a Canon XL1s).

Which choice is going to allow me to produce the most professional looking short films? (that's pretty much what I'm after)
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion