The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 92 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 19th, 2007, 07:40 AM   #1366
Inner Circle

I think there's been some confusion in this thread between the Sony A1U and the Canon XH-A1. The former is a small consumer-like camcorder (with some pro features) and the latter is a larger 'prosumer' model. I'd recommend the XH-A1 for any serious work unless you need to be inconspicuous; the A1U is useful as a back-up camera for the Sony Z1U.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #1367
New Boot

Hi!

Total NOOB here!

I have a Sony consumer DCR-TRV140 Handycam and, bless its heart, it just ain't gonna last forever.

I am thinking about purchasing a new camera. I am leaning towards Canon simply because I have it stuck in my head that they are more reliable. I have considered everything from the Canon ZR-830 to a used GL2 I saw online.

I want all the obvious things (sharp image, low lux capability, good optical zoom, stabilizing) and...IMPORTANT...I would like a solution for good SOUND quailty. I don't mind accesorizing the camera to get better sound than what it came with...I just want it to work well.

I am looking for firewire connectivity (or, if there is an alternative suggestion for Mac minis, let me know).

I have a "practical" budget of up to $1000.00 or so but am willing to pay more for an exceptional value in a camera deal.

I will be using the camera for everything from personal occasions (birthdays, etc.) to putting a few things on the internet and, its ultimate purpose (after I get a bit more experienced with DV) is to produce a documentary or two.

Thanks for your time and consideration and I look forward to your advice and suggestions!

Happy Independence Day!
Kurt Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 02:37 PM   #1368
Inner Circle

Kurt: for $1000 your options are somewhat limited; spend a little more and you can get the Sony A1U with high-definition recording and decent audio inputs.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 02:46 PM   #1369
Wrangler

Welcome to DVinfo Kurt!

The Sony A1 is a good suggestion, but you might also look for a used Sony PDX-10. It has the pro audio features you want and uses the same XLR adaptor and mike as the A1. It also shoots high quality standard definition 16:9 which the GL2 can't match. Visit our forum here for more info: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=43

The camera was discontinued about 2 years ago, so maybe there are some good deals if you can find a used one...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #1370
New Boot

Thanks for the suggestions!

Hmmm.

decisions, decisions.
Kurt Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 04:01 PM   #1371
Tourist

Giant What Camera Should I Buy Thread

help! :-) I want videocam:
1: good in low light
2: hi resolution
3: shake proof
4: big on zoom
7: self timing
8: approx $350.00
9: mini dv or MAC friendly hdd for approx. $900.
10: small
11: with 80 minutes of uniterrupted recording time with high quality.

PEACE, KENWOOD-
Kenwood Dennard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 04:20 PM   #1372
Contributor

The Sony A1U is a good suggestion, but it's out of the price range, I think.
There's the Canon HV20. Doesn't have XLR in, but you can get an adapter from whatever mic you're getting.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 05:30 PM   #1373
Outer Circle

For all of the above, I'll go as high as $2500 USD.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 07:06 PM   #1374
MPS Digital Studios

I think all those suggestions are great. Maybe the new HD JVC Everio, too.

heath
Old August 3rd, 2007, 02:41 AM   #1375
Inner Circle

shooting with XL1s or Z1...

Hi,

I'm not posting this thread in the Sony Z1 forum or the Canon XL1s forum, because I'm afraid I would get a biased answer any way.
This is more neutral ground ;-).

I'm busy writing a fan episode of a series I really like.
I would like to shoot it for 2 reasons:
1. purely fun
2. technical learning school for me and my crew.

I already made some movies, have some experience, but now I want a kind of fullblown mainstream look (intending to make our own dolly, etc...).
We will light our footage as good as we can, with people who have learned how to.

The thing is... on what will I shoot?
I personally have a Canon XL1s. It's a fine camcorder and I'm really comfortable with it, I'm pleased with the images I mostly get.
And as this is a project that's more for fun, and I think that although we will project the end result once on a big(ger) screen, I think the main end product will be dvd, I think the Canon XL1s will suffice and it has my preference, even though it's an older camera.
(ps: also, I live in PAL land, so I have 25p, more or less)

Then, I *could* (not sure) maybe get an Sony Z1 in my hands for shooting my episode. The good things about the Sony are it's low light performance (I was really amazed when I shot a play with it), and it's better resolution (HDV). The bad thing about the Sony is, I would have less freedom to use it, because it isn't mine, I like the ergonomics of the Canon more, and it doesn't really has a 25p option (not a good one).

so, my preference goes to the Canon XL1s.
But I'm open to discussion and would like to hear some opinions, if people would like to contribute.

Thanks and best regards,
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 05:07 AM   #1376
Contributor

Stick with the XL1s.

You, and your team should experiment with interchangeable lenses to round off the learning experience.

If you are not bound by some Commercial expectations placed on you by a client, the XL1s is more versatile.

If you put your experimental energies into experimenting with the content and methods of creating a "film", rather than with the (in my opinion) still experimental HDV format, you will be using your time more fruitfully.

The project sounds like fun.

Go with what you have, unless you have a specific reason for trying something you have to borrow.

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 05:50 AM   #1377
Inner Circle

As incredible as it sounds...

... from a Z1 owner, I say: stay with your Canon. No, I am not unhappy with my camera, on the contrary - it does everything I need and a ton more. On the other hand I don't even know the Canon.

And still, I would stay with the camera I know. Your project, as outlined, is geared toward an overall learning experience. It will involve a whole crew, and this is not the best time for you to learn another camera. If you go with a camera you don't know, you will have to make lots of stops to look up a feature, refine a setting - your efforts to bring out the max from the camera will eventually irritate the rest of the crew.

One final point: it will take some serious testing for you to bring out the "look" you want for your film, especially with an unknown camera. By tradition, Canons are geared more toward "film look" while Sonys more toward the crisp, sharp "video look".

Good luck with your project and whatever you decide, keep us posted!
Old August 3rd, 2007, 06:11 AM   #1378
Inner Circle

Thanks for the advice.
I already work with the Canon for 2 or 3 years, so I know the camera pretty well, and I love to work with it. Only had 2 experiences with the Sony, which I found to be okay, but in ergonomics and 'handling', I liked the Canon better.

I don't think we will be able to put money in other lenses, because we will put money in a dolly, lights, sound, and make-up effects.
(Okay, I'll say it: it's a fan episode from The X Files ;-) it's still in a very early fase).

I'm getting here the responses I anticipated and agree with: stick to the camera you feel best with. It's not like we are going to transfer to 35mm or something, so resolution isn't that important.

Thanks again,
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #1379
New Boot

Need miniDV camera with mic and headphone jacks

Hi All, I'm looking for a sub-$500-600 miniDV camera, SD, with external mic jack, and a headphone jack, for basic student projects.
Seems like most of the headphone jacks have been eliminated in the lower end camcorders.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Someone mentioned they could monitor the audio, while recording, through the A/V output jack (connected to headphones), but I forgot the make and model.

Thanking anyone for assistance.
Frank Fulchiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #1380
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Fulchiero View Post
Hi All, I'm looking for a sub-$500-600 miniDV camera, SD, with external mic jack, and a headphone jack, for basic student projects.
Seems like most of the headphone jacks have been eliminated in the lower end camcorders.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Someone mentioned they could monitor the audio, while recording, through the A/V output jack (connected to headphones), but I forgot the make and model.

Thanking anyone for assistance.
Optura 50 or Optura 60. Headphone support, mic input, manual audio and even a focus ring on the lens. IF you can find one, I just checked eBay and couldn't find a singe unit. Dang.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion