The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 95 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 20th, 2007, 02:08 PM   #1411
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick
Why not go for the V1 right now and cut your losses?
Because I want both. And the HC7 is all I can afford to go with at the moment. When I do finally get the V1 the HC7 would become my spare, and also for personal shoots where the V1 would just be too big. It would also be used as a deck to save wear and tear on the V1.

I think, I have decided on the HC7, but there's still a little part of me saying, well what about the HV20.

Thanks for your response.
Danny
Danny Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2007, 02:24 PM   #1412
Regular Crew

Is there a photo of the V1...any url for it?
Thanks

Tony B
Roy Beazley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #1413
New Boot

http://www.sonybiz.net/biz/view/Show...=HDVCamcorders

Yes.
Danny
Danny Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2007, 03:31 PM   #1414
Regular Crew

Thanks Danny...is this PAL only...it sure looks good on paper...20x lens now that is good! and xlrs..nice features...
Roy Beazley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 07:10 AM   #1415
New Boot

Hello, thanks for the support so far. I tried to find a used semi-professional camera (xl2 for example) for a while now but I haven't found any serious sellers so far.

I think I'll have to go with a consumer camera if I can't find a good second hand cam. From what I heard the HV20 is pretty good but what about other camera's?

Aren't there many better consumer camera's compared to the hv20?

I was thinking of the sony HDR-SR8, HDR-SR1, HDR-HC7

The JVC GZ-HD7, JVC GZ-HD3

Or even the Canon HG10.

Which one would be the best buy in this range of cameras? Budget is still around $3500, which I would invest in one of these camera + accesories.

Cheers,
Kenneth
Kenneth Michiels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 08:41 AM   #1416
New Boot

I found a used Sony HDR-FX1 with some extras:
+ a sony tripod (VCT-1170RM)
+ Sony bag (LCS-VBC)
+ extra Lithium battery 6.600 mAh (NP-F970)
+ i.LINK kabel (Firewire)
+ 3 unused Mini DV-tapes for HD Video (Sony 63 min DVM63HDV)

price: $2,849.60

Would this be a good deal?
Or should I go for a new HV-20, from which I've read some excellent reviews.

Kenneth
Old October 24th, 2007, 08:55 AM   #1417
Contributor

You can get a completely new package from B&H for about $150 more:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...3CMOS_HDV.html
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 09:14 AM   #1418
New Boot

Thanks, I was too late for the fx1 anyway. It was sold minutes ago. I'm a bit sceptical towards buying online... I don't really know which websites to trust and which not.

How is the hv20 compared to more professional camera's? And which consumer models would better then a hv20?

K
Old October 24th, 2007, 09:30 AM   #1419
Contributor

The HV20 is a little consumer camera designed for point-and-shoot. Great for home movies, probably the best in its class. People have shot documentaries and other things with amateur cameras, but you will find it more difficult than having a more professional setup. While some manual control is possible with the little single chippers, the ones I've been involved with seem to work much better on auto. Auto will get you there much of the time, but it will also kick you in the butt much of the time. So it all depends on what you want to do. If it's for strictly amateur stuff, home movies, etc., then I'd say the HV20 would be better for you than the FX1 or any other of the 3 chip "prosumer" cameras. But if you have plans to shoot a documentary or things like that, you'd probably want something more suitable.

I also would be very careful of buying from unknown online places. A used FX1 in good condition probably would sell from somewhere between $1500 and $2200, I'm guessing, from an individual. Anything less than that or more than that, be very wary. My feeling is that if you're going to spend close to $3K for a camera, you'd be better off going for the Canon XH A1, which is about $3500 at the reputable dealers, has a $250 rebate, and at Tapeworks Texas comes with a free Camrade bag (or it did in the recent past). While the FX1 is a good camera, in my opinion, it is the "de-tuned" amateur version of the Z1, and for just a little more money you can get a better deal with the Canon, ie., XLR inputs, more controllability, better lens, etc. But if you're just learning and don't want to spend a lot of money, the HV20 is a great deal. Sony also has the A1U, which sells for around $2300 last time I looked. It might be a good compromise between the amateur and the more professional. It's small but has more professional control, XLR inputs, etc. On the downside I think a lot of the controls are touch screen on the LCD.
Old October 24th, 2007, 10:21 AM   #1420
New Boot

Thanks for the input Bill,

do you know any good, trustable websites where i could purchase an xha1 for $3500 or less?

Greetings!
Old October 24th, 2007, 10:26 AM   #1421
Contributor

All the dealers who are on here are good and reliable. I would go with Tapeworks Texas or B&H or Zotz. All three have excellent reputations with people who have purchased from them, including me. You go with one of those cheapestpriceintheworld.com places, you're gonna get screwed one way or another.
Old October 24th, 2007, 10:31 AM   #1422
MPS Digital Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Michiels View Post
Thanks, I was too late for the fx1 anyway. It was sold minutes ago. I'm a bit sceptical towards buying online... I don't really know which websites to trust and which not.

How is the hv20 compared to more professional camera's? And which consumer models would better then a hv20?

K
Though the HV20 is a great camera, it pales in comparison to the FX1. Go with a three-1/3" CCD camera with a great lens, that's my advice. You can get a V1u for a great price these days; it's still my pick for a great, affordable HD/HDV camera that has a lot of film-like qualities, plus is excellent for TV and video, too.

heath
Old October 25th, 2007, 05:37 AM   #1423
Inner Circle

By all means, stay with our sponsors if you go for a new one; they are the best, most reliable in the business - there is a good reason why Chris selected them. Worth watching the classifieds on this website as well for a used one.

Kenneth, you need to define your needs and your budget first. If size is an issue (for example you need a small camera for your vacation), then go for the Canon HV20 or the Sony HC7. But if you're serious about this hobby, or aspire for something even more, then you need a fully manual prosumer camcorder. Also consider your sound needs: do you need XLR inputs?

Keep reading these pages, gather info, then make your OWN decision based on info and your needs. Good luck!
Old October 29th, 2007, 09:05 AM   #1424
Regular Crew

Need advise.. DVX100A or GL2 ?

I need some unbiased advice/info.

Here's my question.... I'm leaving on Wednesday morning 10/31 to start an outdoor adventure documentary project and had originally planned to shoot on my GL2 but have recently been swayed towards the DVX100A. I love the 24 frame rate and the audio on the DVX. It's now Monday and I can get a 100A overnighted to me but I've heard there's a huge learning curve. Getting it Tuesday with shooting starting Wednesday afternoon doesn't really allow much time to dig into the instructions. But I really want this project to sing... And I'll probably be shooting off & on for a few months so shooting the first part with the GL2 and the later stuff on a DVX probably won't work as I'm sure the footage won't match up. So I guess my questions are...... Do you guys think the DVX is more difficult to learn to use than the GL2 and would the quality of footage from the DVX be superior to the GL2. The thing I really like about the DVX is the ability to make the footage look more like film than video.

I had been thinking about going HD but just don't think I'm ready for that just yet so the DVX would probably do everything I need for the next two years. Then when HD is more widely in use and when I'm asked to do it, I can make the switch.

Any advise or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Gotta get this decision made quick..

Thanks,

Steve Rawls
Green Dog Productions
830-992-0209 Cell
Steve Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #1425
Regular Crew

Figured it out

No need to reply... Got it all figured out !

Steve
Steve Rawls is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion