buying Dvcam battery from eBay? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 11th, 2004, 11:08 PM   #1
Tourist

buying Dvcam battery from eBay?

hi,

noobie here. this has prolly been asked here before, but what's the general consensus here using generic dvcam batteries purchased from eBay? i just got my very first dvcam and didn't realize how expensive those batteries are! i checked out eBay and i can't believe how cheap they're selling the batteries. i'm worried that those generic ones from eBay might somehow screw up my dvcam. am i just being to paranoid? i would love to here what everyone thinks here on this topic. thx in advance...
Ron Onarabmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2004, 01:24 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I purchased a couple generic batteries (xl1s) from eBay a couple months ago... work great and less than a 1/4 of what I would pay for a new canon battery.
Chris McKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2004, 12:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I recently picked up a new 6000mAh BP945 compatible battery for my GL2 for $30 on ebay. I tested the voltage and amperage before using it, and both reported as indicated. It is actually longer lasting than my 4500mAh Canon battery, and has worked great for me.
Chris Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2004, 04:32 PM   #4
Wrangler

Do a search in the PD-170 forum. There have been multiple reports of fraudulently labeled Sony Infolithium batteries (like the NP-F960). There has also been discussion that non-Sony batteries will not always work in the VX-2100 and PD-170, whereas the same batteries did work in the VX-2000 and PD-150.

BTW Ron, "dvcam" is not a very good abbreviation to use for "DV Camera". It's actually a specific type of recording format used on Sony's pro series of cameras. You will tend to create some confusion using it in a subject line unless you're really discussing the DVCAM format....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 07:04 AM   #5
Tourist

thx for the correction, boyd :) i'll keep that in mind.

what i'm wondering about is why are those batteries so cheap? i'm not worried about the battery going kaboinkers on me as much as it messing up my camcorder. any feedbacks on this?
Ron Onarabmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 07:48 AM   #6
Major Player

I've ordered batteries from Eagle Imports for my Optura XI and have had no problems. They are an ebay seller.
Old August 18th, 2004, 07:56 AM   #7
Major Player

I read an article somewhere last year about faulty, cheapo cell phone batteries in the UK that ignited and hurt some people, but the cases were rare. I've never heard about a cheapo battery messing up a camcorder. I have been using a no-namer on my Panasonic for 8 months and have had no problems.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion