Wireless Microphones at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 14th, 2004, 05:50 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Wireless Microphones

Alright,

Every since i could not get my handheld microphone to work becuase i used an adapter from stereo plug to xlr, I have been doubtfull of ever using adapters again for my camcorder (pd150)

Now i'm looking to get a wireless system but i noticed that some dont' come with Xlr cables? Would a stereo/xlr adapter for wireless mic systems work? I have a PD150...? and what i'm refering to is using the adapter to plug into the camera's input.
Old August 14th, 2004, 08:14 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Why not just spend the 10-15 dollars and buy an XLR cable?

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2004, 08:24 AM   #3
Trustee

PD-150's can be a pain (or any on-board camera audio) to get working right. In my experience, you have to record audio before your real shoot at least for a 20-30 seconds (it's called a mic check) and play it back through headphones and make sure that the audio is working.

Also, on the PD-150 there are many menu options that need to be correct when trying to record seperate audio tracks. In addition, shut of the AGC for both channels unless your going to be shooting in a wild audio environment. There is also an option to record a certain "k" - it's 32k and I forget the other option, but you want the other option. The higher one.

Oh, and on the side of the camera make sure you have "Mic" or "Line" checked depending on the input source. There is a "Phantom" switch too, so make sure you have batteries in your mic (working batteries too) if you are not using phantom.

Murph
Old August 14th, 2004, 09:29 AM   #4
Rextilleon

The Senheiser, a very popular wireless system for the PD-150 uses 1/4 (or maybe 1/8) to XLR cables. It works flawlessly.
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2004, 11:39 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Actually the 150 is fairly easy to set up once you understand it.

The other higher setting is 48-set up there.

Keep NR off- I have found it useless.

NOW (thanks to Mike R.) I use AGC on Ch1 and manual on Ch2 at about 50% on the chart. I never use the line setting (no reason too for me) depending on where I'm at I'll use MIC or MICATT for the shotgun-BTW, I never use phantom as my mic is powered-for most music at a wedding reception I use MICATT- for the ceremony I use the shotgun on CH1 on MIC and the wireless on CH2 on MICATT and keep the level at about 50%.
Even before using AGC on the shotgun I had good audio using this system now its even better than even. I have 2 good tracks to choose from I can boost it if need be but try bringing it down sometime. It can be a real pain.
Yes, I monitor with headphones ALL the time and everyonce in a while I use a PROCO10db attenuator instead of the MICATT switch on the cam. I've done inside and outside ceremonies and receptions as well as FD training videos and corporate run and gun this way and so far so good with the audio.

BTW, anyone that DOESN'T do a sound check prior to any event generally deserves what they get and it's usually bad. Shame on anyone that doesn't do at least a short audio check.

Don B
Don Bloom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion