DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Strange glow on footage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/30934-strange-glow-footage.html)

Abby Djin August 24th, 2004 02:20 PM

Strange glow on footage

Hi,
I wasn't sure where to post this topic.
I recently noticed as I was recording a video from my computer to a dv deck, that there was this strange green glow on the topmost corner of my tv monitor(which is connected to the deck via firewire and A/V cables). Now, i'm not sure whether its from the tv or the deck, but it wasn't there before. I played back the footage and sure enough,this green glow was on parts of the footage in the corner of each frame.

Does anyone have any ideas, what could have caused this. I noticed it before weeks ago but on the bottom corner, but then it had disappeared the next time i recorded video to the deck.

Help, I'd like to solve this problem as soon as possible.
Thanks

Ken Tanaka August 24th, 2004 02:40 PM

Hello Abby,
It would help us to know more about how the footage was shot and edited. Particularly, what camera did you use and what editing system are you using? Also, where exactly does this "green glow" appear? Which corner? Does this also appear on your computer monitor when you play the footage?

Bill Pryor August 24th, 2004 03:29 PM

It could be that what you're seeing isn't really a glow, but just the fuzzy edges of some vignetting. If it's just barely in the corners, one or more of them, it could be that you're seeing the edge of your lens hood or a filter sticking into the frame.

Or, if it really is a green glow, your monitor may need to be degaussed. Most have a degaussing button. Usually, that appears as green and purple; but it would be there regardless of the tape you're playing.

Abby Djin August 24th, 2004 04:10 PM

Hi,The videos were shot on different cameras. With the first incidence, i know the video was shot on a pd170 but with this recent case, i really don't know. i was just given the tapes to edit for some clients.

The glow appears on the tv monitor and not on the computer moniter. and it's visible on the top left corner in this particular case. With the last incident it was visible on the bottom left corner of the monitor.

Yes there is a purple edge on the green glow. I will look for the deguass button. (what does degauss mean, anways?). I've only noticed the A and B buttons, the menu button and the volume buttons on the monitor. Maybe it's within the menu? i'll find out.

Thanks for your help.

Ken Tanaka August 24th, 2004 04:41 PM

Ah, as Bill suspected, your follow-up suggests that this may be a monitor issue. Cathode ray tube monitors can accumulate an electro-magnetic charge that can distort the image in various ways. Degaussing dissipates this charge and restores the image. Most professional monitors offer such a feature. Consumer television sets do not, although I believe there are external devices that can degauss such sets.

Bill Pryor August 24th, 2004 09:32 PM

If it's a professional monitor there will be a degauss button on the front, or sometimes in back someplace.