DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   What do you guys think, Canon or Panny? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/31040-what-do-you-guys-think-canon-panny.html)

Mike Scarborough August 26th, 2004 05:24 PM

What do you guys think, Canon or Panny?

been waiting to purchase the Panasonic AG-DVC60 next month but now with the prices of the Canon XL-1S dropping which should I go with?

List on the Panny is 2795.00... sure it will be had for around 2295.00..

Several reputable online retailers have the Canon with 16X lens for 2995.00 plus free freight... have even seen it as low as 2795.00.

I need shoulder cam, XLR capability, 16X lens and wireless capability... what do you think?

jump on the XL-1s and it's 1/3 chips?

Dustin Waits August 26th, 2004 05:30 PM

deffinately xl1s. In my own opinion, the dvc30/dvc60 are garbage. The dvc80 was much much more practical and cheaper. But the xl1s should be your best bet on this one.

Peter Jefferson August 27th, 2004 03:34 AM

"the dvc30/dvc60 are garbage"

errr yeah ok.... whatever...

with regard to the choices youve mentined here, a 1/3 ccd cam will be ur best value for money, on op of that, the 2 cameras your refering to, are very different in the way they handle, operate, and process your images.

in teh long run youd be better off with an XL when comparing it to the DVC range, but jstu coz theyre not comparable, doesnt mean theyre garbage..

I agree the dvc80 was one of the better cams out there.. its a pity they stuffed that one up..

Mark Williams August 27th, 2004 05:57 AM

Dustin,

Why would you call the DVC30 garbage? Have you owned one? If so, then I will respect your opinion if you can tell us what you didn't like about it. I have had one for the past several months and find it to be an excellent cam at least for my needs. Just do a search on the DVC30 and you will find that those that have used it have nothing but good things to say about it.

Mike,

I have used a Canon GL-1, GL-2, XL-1s and VX2000. All have their strong and weak points. But, I really liked the XL-1s. I almost bought one but got the DVC30 instead because it was smaller and lighter. I don't know much about the DVC60 since no one reports any experience with it yet so I guess the jury is still out on that one. Although it does look somewhat intriguing.

Regards,

Mark

Dustin Waits August 27th, 2004 09:02 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Williams : Dustin,

Why would you call the DVC30 garbage? Have you owned one? If so, then I will respect your opinion if you can tell us what you didn't like about it. I have had one for the past several months and find it to be an excellent cam at least for my needs. Just do a search on the DVC30 and you will find that those that have used it have nothing but good things to say about it.

Mike,

I have used a Canon GL-1, GL-2, XL-1s and VX2000. All have their strong and weak points. But, I really liked the XL-1s. I almost bought one but got the DVC30 instead because it was smaller and lighter. I don't know much about the DVC60 since no one reports any experience with it yet so I guess the jury is still out on that one. Although it does look somewhat intriguing.

Regards,

Mark -->>>

Yea I agree garbage was a bit much. I was just extremely disappointed when I heard that they reaplaced the dvc80 with something that wasnt even comparable and then jacked up the price even more. The DVC30 just doesnt seem to be worth the price to me. And I think that the dvc80 really could have helped the industry. One of the big reasons why I liked the dvc80 was the xlr inputs that came standard with it. This is how things should be going, xlr should be a standard in the $2000 price range since just about anyone who is using these cameras are also using xlr mics. For a while there Panasonic was setting a good example for all the other companies. But I think that not only did Panny hurt themselves by discontinueing this model, but they also hurt the rest of the industry. For a while at least. But this is just my opinion.

Mark Williams August 27th, 2004 09:24 AM

Yes Dustin,

Phasing out the DVC80 was a bad move. I looked hard at buying this cam also. But its major drawback for me was its 10x lens. This was a deal breaker since I shoot primarly wildlife/nature video and it would only work on 50% of my subject matter . The DVC30 had the features I needed to meet my needs at the time. Now, I have my sights set on the
XL-2 which should extend my capability and image quality. I will probably continue to use my lightwieght DVC30 for those long hikes when size and weight are a major consideration.

Regards,

Mark