DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Waterproof housing with a twist (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/31358-waterproof-housing-twist.html)

Mike Rehmus September 3rd, 2004 11:16 AM

Waterproof housing with a twist

Looking for opinions.

I'm preparing to do a commercial for a kayak builder which requires me to mount a camera on the bow of the boat.

OK, I will receive a helmetcam today that will work in that environment. But I require a DV recorder that can be kept waterproof. And an underwater camera housing won't work because they don't have video and audio connectors penetrating the enclosure.

So what I'm considering is using the smallest Pelican case (in yellow for retrieval) and mounting some waterproof BNC connectors through it for the video and audio. The camera inside should be protected against most accidents (except loss) and by using something small like a PC-110, won't get as hot as would a PD150 in an enclosed space.

Any alternatives? Comments?

Dylan Couper September 3rd, 2004 07:14 PM

Mike, the last time I saw it done, was exactly as you describe.
Have fun!

Rick Bravo September 3rd, 2004 08:26 PM

That'll work.

I've done the same thing you are considering. Waterproof connectors in a Pelican will work just fine.

Some higher end u/w housings do have the option of external video (for topside video assist) and audio connectors. They not only work in water but can be connected and disconnected while underwater.

Also, splash or surf housings usually have an external microphone that connects to your mic in port and believe it or not, our Gates deepwater housings transmit sound through the aluminum housing quite well even though they have no external microphones.

Good luck, RB.

Alfred Okocha September 4th, 2004 04:16 AM

Excuse an ignorant..
I'm sorry.. But how would that work?? Isn't the camera inside the case? How do you get the lens outside then?

George Ellis September 4th, 2004 09:37 AM

Mike, I checked yesterday, but the guys I used to know are not really on the web that I can find. I am talking surf photographers/videographers. If you know Don King, Aaron Chang, Scott Aichner, or any of those guys, check with them. They have flooded housings, smashed cameras, and gotten big shots in the water in big surf. So, a surf photog should know some tricks that you might benefit from.

I do think I remember that Don King rigged both board, helmet, and bodyboard cams before.

Rick Bravo September 4th, 2004 12:43 PM

Alfred,

The case is used to house and protect the recorder, NOT the helmet cam itself.

RB

Mike Rehmus September 4th, 2004 11:34 PM

I suppose one could build an optical port into a Pelican case and work things that way.

But I'm assuming a Kayak will look or perhaps even act dumb with a case sitting on the bow or stern. In anycase, fastening it down would be a bit difficult.

I'm thinking a big vacuum base with a ball head attached to which I screw the camera head. Nicely, it has a 1/4-20 socket on-axis in the rear of the housing. Safety-strap the rig to the tie-ring on the bow.

Alfred Okocha September 5th, 2004 01:10 PM

Oh dear.. Thanks Rick! Sorry about that one.. =v)

Rick Bravo September 5th, 2004 09:20 PM

Hey Mike,

Sounds like a job for StickyPod!

http://www.stickypod.com/

RB

Erik Hjermstad September 12th, 2004 09:55 AM

A project I've spent a couple of years on...
If you aren't concerned with weight, and it isn't going to be used in an "extreme" fashion, than go the pelican route. It is going to take some doing on your part to get everything figured out. I can give you contact info for all the component connectors if you need.
Or if you would like, depending on when your shoot is, I may have a rig that I could rent to you. I assume you wouldn't want to buy the whole rig, just for the one time use.
The set up we went with features a sony 555 cigar cam, with its own housing, hard wired with several feet of lead to a seperate housing with the recorder (PD 101) battery, an then an external romote in its own housing as well.
Shoot me an e-mial as I would be happy to help you find a solution for your shot.

Steve McDonald September 13th, 2004 11:08 PM

Is the camera on the Kayak going to face forward or point back at the paddler? Since it's a helmetcam and you said it also needed to attach to the bow, I can't figure just how it's going to be used.

If it is on a helmet and is to shoot what's in front of the boat, why not put it on the head of the paddler?

I've shot many things with a camcorder from a Kayak and never bother with any waterproofing. I just keep repeating this mantra: Don't tip over---Don't tip over.

Steve McDonald

Mike Rehmus September 13th, 2004 11:38 PM

The camera is pointing backwards at the kayaker who is probably having fun turning corkscrews through the water. We will put it on the helmet as well.