DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Sony DVMC-DA2 A/D D/A Media Converter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/31416-sony-dvmc-da2-d-d-media-converter.html)

Allan Rejoso September 5th, 2004 07:15 AM

Sony DVMC-DA2 A/D D/A Media Converter

Does anybody have any experience with this device? Any feedback would be highly appreciated. I am planning to connect this device between my old Hi-8 and my DV cam for A/D conversion and direct recording to DV cam (instead of dumping the converted digital signal to a PC first). Many thanks!

Jeff Donald September 5th, 2004 07:51 AM

I've not personally used one, but I've heard nothing but good things about the video/audio performance. I heard there is a Lanc controller and on some cameras it may not work properly. If you're using a Sony you'll probably not have any issues, but other cams may be problematic with Lanc control.

Mike Rehmus September 5th, 2004 11:57 AM

The 2 works very well with all cameras for transcoding in either direction. Somewhat more problematical about Lanc control (which you don't really need) with non-Sony as Jeff states.

I bought one for the local community college about 4 years ago and it works and works very well.

Mike Hanlon September 6th, 2004 09:56 AM

Why don't you connect the Hi8 directly to the DVCAM deck/camera and let it do the A/D for you?

Allan Rejoso September 6th, 2004 06:31 PM

Many thanks for all the reply. Actually what I want to know is whether connecting this specific media converter between a Hi8 cam and a Mini DV cam would result in less loss or no loss (conversion) compared to direct recording/transfer from Hi8 cam to Mini DV tape? Or will the result be the same?

Mike Hanlon September 6th, 2004 10:28 PM

The results will be the same since both methods do the same thing, that is, convert the analog signal to DV. Whether that DV stream is recored onto tape or on a PC hard drive, its the same 1's and 0's.

A third way to do the conversion is with a Digital8 camera. Most (all?) Digital8 cameras convert 8mm or Hi8 to DV.

Allan Rejoso September 7th, 2004 12:54 AM

Yes, but not all A/D converters or D/A converters are of the same class. I was just thinking perhaps the hardware codec component inside the Sony DA2 is of higher grade/performance compared to what is inside a Mini DV cam, and hopefully would give better results compared to direct transfer from Hi8 to MiniDV.

Thanks again!

Les Wilson September 8th, 2004 04:18 PM

You didn't mention what your DV camera is so it's difficult to gauge. I have a DVMC DA2 and did some comparisons with Miglia and Canopus converters. The Sony was obviously superior. IT's a safe bet for the price range you are looking at and will serve you well.

Mike Rehmus September 8th, 2004 06:46 PM

I think few people would agree with your comparison of the Sony against the Canopus converter.

I don't own either one in stand-along version although I did buy and use one at the local college. I'm not taking a position but in general, the Canopus converters are considered to be very good.

Nothing wrong with the Sony converter either, I have one of them built into each of my three Canopus DVRex M1 cards

Allan Rejoso September 8th, 2004 07:05 PM

I only have consumer mini DV cams, a Canon Optura100 and a Panasonic GS100.

The DA2 caught my attention when I saw it in an electronic store in Tokyo for $100.

Les Wilson September 8th, 2004 07:48 PM

The Sony DVMC-DA2 is a steal at $100.

I didn't mean to derogade the Canopus and I didn't give precise information. My comparison was with the low end Canopus ADVC-50 (msrp $219). That was the one I actually had and tested with identical footage against the Sony (MSRP $400). I read many favorable reviews of the Canopus ADVC-100 but I didn't have it to compare.

I can't speak to the Canon Optura 100 or Panasonic GS100 converters. However, my gut says a $400 product whose sole purpose is to do Analog to Digital conversion (and vice versa) probably does a better job of it than a camcorder that also dos conversion and is roughly the same price.

Allan Rejoso September 8th, 2004 08:02 PM

...I can't speak to the Canon Optura 100 or Panasonic GS100 converters. However, my gut says a $400 product whose sole purpose is to do Analog to Digital conversion (and vice versa) probably does a better job of it than a camcorder that also dos conversion and is roughly the same price.

That's my gut feeling as well especially after I found out the original price of the DA2 in the internet. I guess there's only 1 way to find out :-) Thanks for the replies again!

Waleska Arzuaga February 4th, 2009 05:13 AM

analog to digital converter

I have a macbook pro and I want to edit my old 8mm tapes. I understand I need a device to capture the analog signal to turn into a digital signal and in to my mac. Is the Sony dvmc-da2 still available? Are there other devices available?