how do i record vcr tapes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 9th, 2004, 12:46 AM   #1
New Boot

how do i record vcr tapes

ok so my friend recorded a show on vhs and now i want to put it into my camcorder so can then transfer it to my comp. my question is how do i go about doing this? btw i have a sony trv-19.

thnx
Chris Mandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 05:27 AM   #2
Major Player

RCA audio and video outs from the VCR to their mates on your camcorder, if your model has them. If so, you'll likely have to make a menu change to AV-DV in. My two Sony's both do analogue to digital conversion (with S-video if your VCR has it as an "out") both to tape and by pass-through direct to PC capture. Play the VCR and record (in VTR mode) on the cam.

David Hurdon
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 01:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

As David said: connect the outputs from the VCR to the A/V cable into your camcorder. Select the VTR mode on the TRV19, not CAMERA : your program coming from the VHS should appear on the cam's LCD. Press REC/PLAY.
Old September 9th, 2004, 08:06 PM   #4
New Boot

ok so i plug the rca cables into the output lines on the vcr then to my camera's jack.then i go to vcr mode then page 3 and click "rec ctrl" the vcr is playing but i cant see the video and when i try to record all i see is a grey screen when i play it back.
Old September 10th, 2004, 12:21 AM   #5
Major Player

Is the camera set to AV IN? It has to be that way for my Panny to do A->D.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2004, 07:05 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I checked in the Sony Owner manual, and it says that only models TRV22 and TRV33 can record from A/V in.
That's your problem.
TRV19 cannot record from a vcr.
Sorry...
Old September 11th, 2004, 12:00 AM   #7
New Boot

How do i get the video into my computer then?
Old September 11th, 2004, 04:37 AM   #8
Major Player

You'll need to borrow or buy the gear. Do a Google search on "analogue to digital converters". There are a number of them, such as the Canopus ADVC-100, at USD$270 (videoguys). Here's a link to some info on it: www.videoguys.com/canopus.htm.

B&H have it for $260 - http://tinyurl.com/3omy2

As you've discovered, most Sony and other DV Cams will do the conversion, and various other suppliers make devices like the Canopus I've mentioned. You're looking for an analogue to digital converter.

David Hurdon
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2004, 06:21 AM   #9
Major Player

I think you can get a version of Pinnacle Studio for about $120 that comes with an analog recorder breakout box (USB2). It might be Called Pinncale Studio AV (they have a bunch of different editions).
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2004, 01:14 PM   #10
Major Player

I'd wait before you buy. I will have to double check, but I believe I have an old TRV-19 and it does it just fine. Let me head home and check (I did something like this just the other day). I will check the model number when I head home. But I know that it DOES do analog to digital conversion on the fly so I can just hook the VCR up to the camera and the camera to the computer all at once. I'm West Coast and in the middle of moving but I will post back tonight by 10pm West Coast time...

The only reason that I can think it would come up gray is either 1) the cables are not secure or 2) the tape was protected in some way.

***UPDATE***
Turns out I have a TRV-17 that does what you want. I would imagine the TRV-19 can too then... do you have the manual?
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion