Simple Video Techniques - How Does It Work? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 11th, 2004, 04:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Simple Video Techniques - How Does It Work?

New to the video hobby. When you watch a clip like in a movie, there are two persons have a discussion. During their face to face discussion, the camera captures one person while he talks and suddenly, the camera is capturing the listener. Very common...almost in every movie.

What I like to know is: How does this technique work?
Are there TWO cameras capturing? Don't know how one camera could capture both face without panning the camera left and right.

Thanks.
Kevin Kwak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2004, 09:53 PM   #2
Inner Circle

could be 2 cameras or multiple takes. of course it could be both. Movies and TV news magazines do this as a matter of course.

Hope that answers your question.
Don B
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2004, 11:04 PM   #3
Wrangler

Yep, with only one camera, it's very common to shoot reaction shots after, and then cut them into the edit. If it is truly a live event, they have multiple cameras.
Old September 12th, 2004, 10:06 AM   #4
Contributor

Unless it's a live show or some other type of multicamera shoot like a sitcom, you simply shoot a reverse angle of everything. On those types of things, I usually shoot a fairly wide shot of the two people talking from over one person's shoulder, then do a medium shot and then a closeup of the same thing of the first person talking; then reverse the angle and do it again.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 01:26 PM   #5
Wrangler

Specifically, in movies and episodic television, this type of shot is considered a reverse and is generally shot separately even if two cameras are available. The reason for this is usually due to lighting concerns. To light a single person usually requires tying up with lights and stands the real estate that would otherwise be occupied by the other person. On a looser, "documentary" feeling movie, it may be an acceptable compromise to shoot both sides at once. If the shots are designed as "over the shoulders", it's usually very difficult to hide one camera from the other.
Old September 12th, 2004, 02:47 PM   #6
Regular Crew

When I do interviews, i ussually first shoot "talking" person, then politly ask journalist and that person just to sit a liitle bit more and talk. Then I do wide shot, over shoulders shot, some details (hands, face close up), and then journalist asking the question and listening. Works fine for me.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion