DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Mini DV + LCD Projector = Big Screen (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/31885-mini-dv-lcd-projector-big-screen.html)

Andrew Paul September 13th, 2004 03:26 PM

Mini DV + LCD Projector = Big Screen

I have a Canon XL1s and am looking into doing some local adverts in the cinema which I manage with the use of a good quality LCD projector and a computer playing the ads I have made up. Has anyone used this method on a cinema screen approx 100 feet wide, and if so, how did the quality look.

There isn`t a projector fitted yet so I cant test it, but looking at the specs of the projectors around, they say they can project up to 100` wide by being about 40-50` back. The projector would be ceiling mounted (not that would make much difference).

I thought I`d give this a go as getting an advert on 35mm film would cost me and the advertiser an extreme amount of money, and this might be a cheaper option.

Frederic Otis September 13th, 2004 03:40 PM

It will look fine, but not as sharp as film that is for sure, some people will notice it easily if it is played back to back with something shot on film. It will look like the ads were a bit out of focus. But, you really can't be totaly sure until you've tested it because it will depend on what type projector you use and what type of screen.

Boyd Ostroff September 13th, 2004 05:01 PM

Re: Mini DV + LCD Projector = Big Screen

<<<-- Originally posted by Andrew Paul : Has anyone used this method on a cinema screen approx 100 feet wide. -->>>

Are you sure about that screen width? 100 feet seems really wide for a typical theatre. You will be into some serious money to get an acceptable bright image at a 100 foot width. See my comments in this thread. Also see the following for more of my experiences:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=14796
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=14440

The issue of distance from the screen isn't what you should be thinking about. That really doesn't matter as long as you use the correct lens. The manufacturer can provide specs on this based on the screen width and throw distance. You might, however, have to purchase both the standard lens which is included with the projector PLUS a custom lens (we had to do this for our smaller projectors). If you really have a 100' screen then I don't think you'll be looking at LCD projectors, but DLP projectors, and you'll be up there in the $100,000 plus category to get a reasonable brightness level. Make sure you have an ACCURATE measurement of the width and height of the screen before you go any further with this.

Andrew Paul September 14th, 2004 11:09 AM

Sorry guys, its 20 foot. Not sure where the 100 came from. With this in mind and seeing your answers, looks like 20 foot could be pretty good quality as long as the projector is bright.

Boyd Ostroff September 14th, 2004 11:26 AM

Yeah, that's just a slight error, huh? You really need to be a little more accurate with these things when talking about technical subjects if you want to have any credibility...

For a 20 foot wide screen you shouldn't need anything major league, but of course a cheap projector will probably look like what it is. Make sure you get a unit that is designed to project motion video and not the cheapo type intended for PowerPoint shows in the board room. For that screen size you will probably want to be in the 3,000 lumen ballpark. A good LCD projector will probably be OK for your needs. But outfitted with the proper lens for your throw distance (which you said was 40 to 50 feet - better check that also) I think you'll need to spend in the $10,000 ballpark for anything with decent quality. The best approach would be to rent something comparable to the model you're considering and see what it looks like in the actual space. If you work with the same vendor they may be inclined to cut you a deal on such a rental if you purchase the projector from them. Since you are not experienced in this area (and few of us are!) it would be ideal to work with a reputable company as a consultant.

Last year we bought a pair of NEC LCDGT1150 (3,000 lumen) projectors for about $7,000 each. The lenses needed for our application (24' wide image from about 120' distance) cost another $2,250 and the ceiling mount kits were $225 each. The spare lamps for these units cost $470 each, so be sure to keep that in mind also. You will additionally need cables for power and video from the projector location to your playback deck or PC or whatever. Will you need to store or ship these units when not in use? We paid another $485 each for road cases. None of this stuff is cheap if you want good equipment. I post these prices just as a frame of reference, not really recommending this particular model which was purchased for a very specific use (projecting english translations of our operas on a screen above the stage).

Aside from the brightness of the projector also consider that the contrast ratio and fan noise are important issues.

Mike Rehmus September 14th, 2004 11:31 PM

except for the lack of interchangable lens (I think), the new BenQ 8250 looks very good. 3500 lumens, $3600, DLP, DVI in plus all the std HD and so forth.

It is probably the unit I'll buy for event video when it is in the stores.

Bill Pryor September 15th, 2004 08:53 AM

The stuff should look pretty good on a 25' screen with one of those projectors mentioned. We've done stuff with projectors ranging from 10,000 lumens down to about 2500. The closer your distance from projector to screen is what determines how bright the thing needs to be. Also, when you try to fill up a 45' screen, it's going to get soft. A 25' one is very reasonable and will look a lot better. I'm involved in a festival going on right now, and we projected a tape, shot with mostly VX2000s, mastered to Betacam SP. It was in one of the smaller auditoriums with a shallow throw. It was a 4:3 ratio, so it only filled the middle of the screen. I'd guess about 20' or so wide. It looked great. I'm not 100 percent sure, but I think the projector in there is about 3000 lumens.