On-Line edit with miniDV? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 14th, 2004, 08:30 AM   #1
Tourist

On-Line edit with miniDV?

I'm in the final stages of editing a documentary that was shot on miniDV with an XL-1 and edited on FinalCut Pro

My producer has money set aside for an on-line edit. However, from what I understand there isn't a reason to do an on-line edit when the original source is DV. Since I'm working with the footage in it's natural state the on-line process can't add any more quality and there is no way to make it less compressed than it already is.

Also, the project is spread out over more than 40 tapes and there are several other sources as well. I am worried that it won't be put back together exactly as it is now.

I suggested having someone do frame by frame color correction instead. This would make sure all the levels are correct and make sure everything matches from shot to shot.

I'm interested to hear what the experts on this board think
Eric A. Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2004, 08:38 AM   #2
Major Player

Well, I don't know if I qualify as an "expert" but, for what it's worth, I totally agree with your assement and recommendation (though frame-by-frame color correction may be a bit overkill. ;) ).

Good luck!
Nick Jushchyshyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2004, 09:19 AM   #3
Major Player

As long as you haven't done any dissolves, effects, or other transitions, you are working with unadulterated DV. Any of those things and your footage has been altered and recompressed, and that can result in artifacts.
Joshua Provost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2004, 10:00 AM   #4
Major Player

Eric,
If your project has just cuts and dissolves, I'd finish the edit (without color correction or final audio mix) in your FCP.
Use the "on-line" money to output to Digibeta and let a pro colorist do the CC...likewise with the audio mix.
Good colorists and mixers are worth their weight in gold!
Just my .02
Ken
Ken Plotin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion