Advice on gig/camera choice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 15th, 2004, 01:11 AM   #1
Wrangler

Advice on gig/camera choice

Thanks for any thoughts/advice - I'm a newbie to paying/shooting gigs.

I just got a paying/re-curring gig for a tv show. It entails a lot of run & gun interviews in a variety of environments: homes, clubs, offices, street, etc. with a local celebrity as the talent.

I'm wondering if the DVX100 or XL2 would be up to the task? I know the PD-170 is the best deal for this type of work, especially with B&H's current deal and I'm leaning towards it. But I'm wondering if it's advisable to get the DVX100 or XL2 for the flexibility of the 16:9, progressive or other features?

On a personal note, I would use the 16:9 and progressive in my own personal narrative works, but since this is for business, I'd rather get the best machine for the job.

Note: The producer said he doesn't care what aspect ratio my crew uses - he just cares about the content.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 07:06 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I would personally go with PD170 with wide-angle lens. I've worked with PD150+wide and that was pretty o.k. I also worked with DVX100 and felt little less comfortable than PD for that kind of work. Anyway for run&gun I would prefer real shoulder cam, but then comes the budget question...
Old September 15th, 2004, 01:33 PM   #3
Major Player

If you're not going to have a lighting crew along with you, the PD170 will give you the best opportunity to get the shot, in case it's in dim lighting...
The DVX100A however is no slouch in the low-light area either, and will let you work on other projects where customers request 24P/30P.

Now I know progressive shooting vs. interlace is a choice in taste for an independent filmmaker, and you should choose the best camera for the job, but many people that hire out for such freelance jobs often request certain features/cameras (because they don't know the all equipments' pros and cons themsleves), and the DVX/XL2 might put you in a better position when you're done with this job, or for weekend work.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 07:15 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I've worked with both the PD170 and the XL1s.

For ease of handling (focus ring, iris control, seperate knobs and buttons for specific controls) I prefer the XL1s.

For tight spaces I prefer the 170.

The 170's LCD screen is perfectly visible in broad daylight and that's a big plus.

I've also intercut between the two and, after using Final Cut's color correction tools, the difference is hardly noticable.

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions.
Dean Sensui is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion