DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Equipment insurance in "war zone" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/32158-equipment-insurance-war-zone.html)

Olivia Lareau September 19th, 2004 05:56 AM

Equipment insurance in "war zone"

Hello -- a new member here. I need advice!

I am headed to the Middle East to work on a documentary. So far I haven't been able to find an insurance company willing to insure my equipment. The fine print on the policies say if the equipment is stolen or harmed in "what could be considered a war zone", all bets are off. I really want to take my VX2000, but not necessarily if it means sacrificing it...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Olivia

Jeff Donald September 19th, 2004 06:20 AM

Have been in this industry for 25+ years now, I can't ever recall hearing of equipment being insured in a war zone. To the best of my knowledge, war zones are always an exclusion.

Darko Flajpan September 19th, 2004 03:00 PM

There is no way for insurance companies to give you a deal. If there is risk of loss/damage but you want good picture, maybe cheapo or second hand DV will be better solution than VX. I've worked in war zones years ago with Umatic and Betacams...I wish i had a TRV900 or something like that...And be sure to talk in person to somebody who was in that kind of situations, cause there is lots of unwritten rules in war zones.

Jacques Mersereau September 19th, 2004 03:23 PM

I think that if you even found an insurer to take you on, the price
of the policy would be almost what your gear costs new.

If this is trip is for your own documentary, I would guess you have
enough courage already to withstand the financial loss of losing a camera.
I would be much more worried about yourself.

If this is for another company, make sure you are being paid well
enough (with a down payment of 50%) so that if you lose your
gear that you can buy new. Remember, a VX2000 is *only a couple
of grand*, and that AIN'T that much imo to risk your LIFE!

Good luck with your adventure and you have my sincere best wishes.

PS. It would be really cool to post your every day experiences to this list.

Olivia Lareau September 20th, 2004 10:45 AM

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. They helped me clarify my decision...

It is my own project that I am working on. I am investing quite a bit into this project considering time, energy, and other expenses. Investing a couple thousand for a high quality footage seems appropriate and wise. I'll take the vx2000.

I leave next week and will be back mid-November. I'll post my experiences when I return.

Thanks again,
Olivia

Jacques Mersereau September 20th, 2004 11:13 AM

Good luck!!!!!!!

Keith Loh September 20th, 2004 11:35 AM

Olivia, please keep in mind that the Arabs place a lot of value on personal relationships and respect vs traditional authority. Giving respect to the elders, shayks and people who make you their guests will help you a lot. Please be careful and put your personal safety first.