Looking to make a Documentary and some Music Video's, camera advice? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 26th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #1
Tourist

Looking to make a Documentary and some Music Video's, camera advice?

Hello all,
I am interested in making a Documentary about three different bands trying to make it into the music business and I am looking for some advice on some equipment.

I would also like to use this camera to make some music video's for my band, and also to record some live concert footage for a DVD.

I need some advice, as I am new to the higher end market of video editing.

Since I am in a band, I have LOTS of audio equipment at my disposal such as firewire interfaces, mixing boards, lots of dynamic and condenser mics, XLR cables, ect.

I have done some video editing in the past, all be it, with cheap single CCD consumer cameras, but I know I can pull this off.

Anyways, my only real stipulations for the camera is that:
1. I want it to have 16 x 9
2. It needs to have XLR's, no exceptions!

Anyways, I would like it to have some HD support, but it's not ABSOLUTELY essential.

My budget is $2,000 max.

Thanks!
Seth Swegheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 11:09 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I think you may have a hard time finding built in XLR plus true 16:9 in a new cam for your budget. Your best value would be an FX7 with an XLR adapter box, which would be slightly more than your budget, but close.

A used PD170 or 150 would have the XLR, but the 16:9 is horrible and of course it's not HD.

Also the Panasonic HMC70 is a shoulder-mount cam with XLRs. It records to cards and is 3ccd. I have no experience with it personally but a lot of people like it, despite its Playskool-like looks. Worth looking at.

Panasonic | AG-HMC70U Shoulder Mounted Camcorder | AGHMC70U
Adam Gold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion