Help with Sony DCR-TRV38 & i.Link DV connection at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 2nd, 2004, 09:45 AM   #1
Tourist

Help with Sony DCR-TRV38 & i.Link DV connection

Hi all,

This is my first post in the group - glad to be in with some DV experts!

I've got a Sony Handycam DCR-TRV38. I'm able to hook it up to my Sony VAIO VGC-RA710G desktop PC using a USB cable. I just picked up the i.Link 400 cable to get DV transfer so I can preserve the quality of the movies, but I am simply not able to get the camera to be recognized. I've enabled the A/V -> DV output on the camera; I've tried at least 5 different capture applications all of which say that the capture device is not detected or offline. This happens with the camera turned on to VCR and with the video stopped or playing.

My OS is Windows XP SP2. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Brian
Brian Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2004, 08:37 PM   #2
Tourist

Resolved!

:shock:

Well it turns out that the firewire port (mounted on the front of my PC) was NOT plugged into the motherboard. Seems like the manufacturer (Sony) should have caught this in VAIO testing but nonetheless I figured I'd pop open the case and have a look ... and, well you know the rest. :wink:

Well thanks for the help anyway - I'll be visiting back soon with more questions I'm sure! :D

-Brian
Brian Mayer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion