Neutral Density & Contrast Reduction filters at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 4th, 2004, 01:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Neutral Density & Contrast Reduction filters

Hi Guys

I need to get a 4x4 contrast lowering filter (either Tiffen UltraCon or the new Schneider Digicon) and a Neutral Density regular and Graduated but I am unsure how much power I should get in each one. They each have about 5 levels of strength. I can only afford 1 of each at the moment so I am guessing I should get the middle power for each one.

What would you recommend?
Todd Siechen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2004, 02:33 AM   #2
Major Player

Sorry I can't answer your question, Todd, but I never heard about a "contrast lowering filter".

Does it actually reduce the contrast in a scene? If so, I would use one in most shots because the latitude of (DV) video is so small. I would even use it on my still camera on sunny days. However, I can't figure out how it works. Can you explain it?

Rainer
Rainer Hoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2004, 02:47 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Im not sure how they work from a technical standpoint but I am certainly anxious to experiment with them in video AND still photography like you because of the small latitude of sensitivity of todays sensors. It should be very interesting to see the results of these.
Old October 4th, 2004, 03:15 AM   #4
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Todd Siechen : It should be very interesting to see the results of these. -->>>

Yeah, I would like to see the results myself. Perhaps somebody could share his/her experience with such filters?

Rainer
Rainer Hoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2004, 03:54 AM   #5
Regular Crew

This is a quote from David Mullen (ASC):

"The Low Contrast is similar to a Fog Filter but doesn't soften as much. It lowers contrast but does cause some halation (glowing) around lights. The "mist" particles in UltraCons are much, much finer so that there is no halation around bright areas, just an overall haziness similar to flashing. So you get the contrast loss from the lifting of the blacks and shadows like with Low Cons but not the halation or softening effect. Low Cons are almost considered diffusion filters but I think you'll find that the Ultra Cons keep the image sharper -- it looks more like you raised the master black pedestal."

Interesting.
Old October 4th, 2004, 08:26 AM   #6
Wrangler

Try doing a search here under "ultracon", we've discussed them many times. They are not magic, they do require some attention and often the images will require tweaking in post to restore proper blacks, and there isn't a "one size fits all" strength (with a gun to my head, I would suggest an Ultracon 2).
Old October 4th, 2004, 01:11 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Yes I know - I have read most all the posts on this subject here already. Although I have not heard of the Ultracon 2. Whats the difference - more strength?
Todd Siechen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion