Getting Around Macrovision at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 6th, 2004, 11:21 PM   #1
New Boot

Getting Around Macrovision

Is there a way?

My project is to update an educational series video with newer content. The organization that owns the copyright to the video has given me permission but they do not have a master/original and do not know who originally produced the video (this organization is under new management, and they are a not for profit group, not very organized to say the least).

So, I am stuck with copying the video from VHS to my PC. I was simply playing the tape from my VCR through my GL2 to convert to digital and capturing in Premiere. Problem is my GL2 shuts down with the message "Copyright Protected Dubbing Restricted". The case for the video says "Macrovision". So I assume this is the reason. I tried dubbing the tape from one VCR to another (I know, the quality was sucking) and tried it from the copied tape, same thing.
Is there any way around Macrovision?

TIA.

Paul
Paul Nuttall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2004, 11:25 PM   #2
Warden

How old is the original production?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2004, 11:44 PM   #3
New Boot

The original was produced in 2000.

Additionally, I was searching the net and came across a cheapo device made by Sima, the device is "Copy This". Are they worth a shot?

Paul
Old October 6th, 2004, 11:56 PM   #4
Warden

I can't speak specifically about that product, having never used it. But in my experience, similar products have failed to remove the anomalies caused by Macrovision. The only equipment I have specific experience with that removed all traces of Macrovision are limited window time base correctors (TBC's) and compatible video tape recorders (VTRs that accept external sync). Full frame TBC's will not remove Macrovision.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old October 7th, 2004, 12:04 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks Jeff. I'm clueless about "limited window time base correctors". I thought there would be an easier way.

Paul
Old October 7th, 2004, 12:28 AM   #6
Warden

This is an example of a limited window TBC. Something like the Panasonic AG 7500 would work as the the player.

Old October 7th, 2004, 04:05 AM   #7
RED Code Chef

I've also had some (analog) capture devices in the past that
ignored it. So you might want to try some other equipment
first. Otherwise you might be able to rent some of the equipment
Jeff is mentioning?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2004, 08:01 AM   #8
Wrangler

Hi Paul,

Several years ago I got one of the cheapo Sima "Video Copymasters" and played around with it. Sounds like what you're describing.... I think I found it at WalMart or Best Buy. It worked up to a point. I only used it once... for purely recreational personal purposes of course! It was very finnicky as to how you set the controls.

I don't think you will get very good quality from these gadgets, but then again VHS isn't so great to start with. It wasn't expensive though, so it might be worth a try before investing in anything more expensive.

Rob has a good idea also... if you can't rent then maybe you can find a video company with high quality equipment like Jeff describes. If you can demonstrate that you own the copyright then perhaps they could do the conversion for you?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion